HDJ81 vs FZJ80 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My $0.02.
Prius drivers may glare at you in the public parking lot when it puffs that startup exhaust too. LOL. I'll think of more...

Wait...that's a point in favor of the diesel, right?

Wait...that's a point in favor of the diesel, right?

Not only a point in favor, but that makes it an obligation to buy a HDJ81 right there.

HDJ81 were conservatively tuned by Toyota. You can turn up the wick on the standard turbo a little for a bit more power, or swap turbo, exhaust, and tune the injection pump for truly impressive power upgrade, but that's a disease in itself.

Sounds like it's not in the cards, but 100 series are not to be sneezed at for the use you describe. They've been to every corner of Australia over many years and proven themselves off-road

If you look, almost all of the pro diesel comment are coming from outside the U.S. If i lived in a different country then i would most likely drive a diesel, but i just feel like that here in the US your paying 10k extra ( more than twice) the price.

If you look, almost all of the pro diesel comment are coming from outside the U.S. If i lived in a different country then i would most likely drive a diesel, but i just feel like that here in the US your paying 10k extra ( more than twice) the price.
You pay a lot extra in other countries too, in all of the countries represented in this thread.

For me it was the prospect of having an all-mechanical vehicle. After getting burned by a bavarian uber computer with wheels, the 81 is refreshing.

Absolutely spot on! No sensors, no OBD light, no cats, and dare I mention the PHH :p, as per above the diesels are the true overlanders.

Regards

Dave

Same is true in Australia. Diesels command a ridiculous premium, despite there being butt loads of them.
Right now, I could buy any number of early 90s diesel 80 with 5-600K km for $15+k, or an number of early 2000s petrol 100 series with 250k km for $7.5-10k

Another diesel U.S. owner here. Some say I'm wierd in my taste. But, I love my 1HDT 80. I get just under 20 mpg on 35s, cruising at around 80 mph as I daily drive mine. I've put 20,000 miles on mine in the last year and haven't encountered any "real" maintenance issues. On power, I have a Gturbo and my rig and can really get out of it's own way. Once intercooled, I don't think a supercharged 1FZ could keep up. This is my first diesel, but everyday I am excited to get into my rig and drive it. When I bought it, I knew it would be more expensive than a gas motor. But I wanted to own the "best of the breed" (In my humble opinion). Plus, in the first year, I have saved about $2800 in fuel costs.

Keep in mind, though, my personality isn't the norm out here in New England. I see new Mercedes and am not tempted at all. When people mention comfort, all I care about is a seat that doesn't make my back hurt. I don't need self steering head lights... I hate nanny computers on cars... I want to engage traction control devices on my own. (4wd, lockers)

Gas so you can order parts easily. No brainer for me. And I don't think I would DD a RHD vehicle for safety/visibility reasons, so would have to be a latin american or european import.

Or, as others have said, 100 series, 4Runner, GX470, etc, would all do the job with greater reliability, comfort, road manners and passing power.

One other factor that is of questionable importance. I live 3 hours from landcruisersdirect so if I go with the 81, could potentially go with them, though they are a little above my budget

If you're that close, it's worth your while to contact them and go see what they got and take some for a spin... I just bought a 1991 HDJ81 from them and couldn't be happier.
Backstory: Sold my FJ40 and Sequoia for something that was the best of both worlds, but was set on the HJ61. Had seen LCD on the web, but went with another guy who was closer and about $3,000.00 less. Got pretty much scammed by the guy and after buying a ticket to Phx to pick it up, found out he was in Los Angeles; changed the ticket and tried to "be positive". He picked up me, the car had supposedly been through 2 128pt inspections and had a 500 mile test drive, and been detailed the weekend before I arrived. The interior was filthy, not even dusted, carpets covered in dirt and grease, front fender falling off and headlamp was corroded, it was obvious the winch had not been run in god knows how long. I did not feel comfortable driving it 1,000 miles home and walked from the deal but had to wait 11 hours for the next flight home, plus had to buy a last minute and very pricey airline ticket. I checked with a guy in Seattle who had a few on hand, that didn't go so well and started to notice the same red flags as the first guy. Then called a guy in Montana I really liked, but he didn't have any stock on hand. Finally called LCD and spoke to them a couple times, flew out, and didn't the get the HJ61 as planned, but the HDJ81. They told me what they'd fixed (they always change out the BEBS) what would need to be addressed if I took it before they got to it, and answered all my calls and emails about things that have come up since (usually a question about what a switch does). I drove it home 990 miles in one day, with absolutely no qualms or issues. I've had absolutely NO bad surprises.
I guess my point is, it's worth day trip to go talk to them and test drive a few. Believe me, the money you think you'll save somewhere else could cost you much more later and in inconvenient times. They're really nice, helpful and not pushy at all.

The diesel engine with the turbo DOES pull a pass on the flats or low inclines from 60mph with no problem and I live at 8,000' elevation, which is one of the reasons I got it. I can take her up the mountain and keep up with the other cars; a friends 80 (gas) and someone I just met with a 77 diesel (no turbo) can't do that... The savings in gas mileage doesn't make a difference in the pocket with the rising price, but for me is worthwhile since I live 35 miles from the nearest gas station (unless I drive 24 miles r/t out of my way in the wrong direction and want to pay their ridiculous prices).

It also seems like my stock 81 sits a bit higher than the stock 80. It's triple locked, but I haven't got to use that yet, as she cruises over everything so far with no hesitation, even in spots where I'm hoping she'll get a little stuck... I'm dying to use the lockers!

Yep, the ice cubes are awesome and I love that I can now buy a pint of ice cream in town and it's still frozen when I get home, as the cooler console stays quite cold. It's definitely the most comfortable ride I've owned (and the sequoia was comfy!) and the RHD is not hard to get used to.

I haven't used the winch yet, so I can't speak to that. A few of us are going out next weekend, so maybe I can tell you more then. It's about 7000lbs I believe...?

The guys saying it's $10K more for "just the engine" aren't factoring in the lower kms, additional options, and in general better condition many of the HDJ's being imported are in. My truck had just 82,000kms when I got it, I realize that in the US you need to wait an additional 10 years compared to Canada, but I imagine for a similar condition FJ/FZJ80 the price gap would close up considerably.

RHD is inconvenient in that you need a passenger to go through a drive-thru, but due to the high seating position visibility is pretty good for left turns, and even passing on a 2-lane unless you're stuck behind a semi. You get used to driving RHD very quickly, but you do get a lot of 2nd looks from other drivers which is entertaining.

The 1HD-T is full of character, from the tiny bump of the starter required to bring it to life, to the shaking to a stop, and everything in between. It's a real joy to drive IMO.

I too don't subscribe to there being safety issues with RHD in a LHD country. Forget the RHD trucks I have driven in LHD Europe, my 80 is RHD from the UK, no problem driving in Europe for the last 8 years....ish. I also have two LHD (diesel) vehicles, I jump from one to the other without even thinking about it, get in and drive. :steer:

Drive thru....yep a problem, and the odd use of a toll machine on the motorway if I don't fancy the coast road. I am pretty much past the power thing, the 80 does the best part of 120 MPH if pushed, although I cruise around most of the time at about 80 MPH, so plenty for me, and an average 28 MPG (imperial) is nice, more if I am steady on the loud pedal, and a sensible drive will net over 550 miles to a 90 litre tank.

True, spares availability may or may not be an issue depending on your location, but believe me, you will not be visiting the spares shop too often anyway, and service items can be ordered in advance if need be.

Regards

Dave

This is probably already apparent, but this is a really tough decision for me.

In my mind it comes down comparing:

$15000 for the '97 80 shipped vs $21500 for the '90 81 shipped
LHD vs RHD
Diesel vs Gas
Both vehicles are built similarly, but the 80 needs work (roughly $1500 worth). The 81 appears to be a real cherry and wouldn't need anything
Interior and exterior are nicer on the 81

So the 80 wins on price and LHD
the 81 wins on Diesel which i prefer over gas and it is truly turn key where as the 80 needs a bit of work
the 81 is also nicer aesthetically

I'm pulling the trigger this week, so i'm going to just have to make a decision. The info in this thread has been invaluable. When i look at this thread, it feels like it is overall more in favor of the 81 over the 80, but that is just a general feeling.

I will report back here once i have made a purchase!

For that price difference go 81.

Has never been about the price .. would you love having a factory diesel Cruiser ..? yes = pay extra . .. if you don't .. well buy a gasser ..

it's how much you would love to have that diesel engine ..

One of the pluses is I have always wanted a diesel cruiser. I’m in the process of a frame of on an fj55 with swap to a 4bt (which is taking a lifetime it seems), and I really like diesels in general. Before I came across the hdj81, a 4 door 70 was my holy grail. I’m finding however that I like the 81 even better.
There are only three holdups that have kept the diesel from being a slam dunk.
Passing with a rhd
Kph speedo
Price

I’ve reconciled myself with the price (I think) and I think the other two I can overcome. I’m currently talking with someone about buying their 81, I just have to get the extra money together, because incame into the market looking to buy a land cruiser under $15000

This thread has been more help than I can possibly describe and I want to thank each one of you for your help

I’ll post up when I have the car, but it will be at least few weeks before I can get it

Payment has been sent and she’s scheduled to go on a truck Monday or Tuesday. So next week or early the week after my driveway will be adorned with

oTFJuRe.jpg

Gpzpm

My new 1990 HDJ81 with factory winch

My new 1990 HDJ81 with factory winch

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom