HDJ81 Died (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Are the pistons okay, is it isolated to the head?

Are the pistons okay, is it isolated to the head?

Currently working under the theory that the valve imprints on the pistons do not affect function. So I am assuming that the damage is limited to the head until I find out otherwise.

Currently working under the theory that the valve imprints on the pistons do not affect function. So I am assuming that the damage is limited to the head until I find out otherwise.

Sorry to see things came into contact.

The Big end bearings probably took a real pounding. I'd at least replace those. Hopefully the piston integrity is not compromised. Hard to say, as obviously there was a huge amount of force transferred for them to damage the shims that badly.

Thats true, the piston did take a hit, they might be okay but everything below at least should be checked out. You don't want to go through all the work of re-installing the head to find out the bottom end is damaged later, and have to tear it all down again. Unfortunately you are looking at a full tear down, you should change the BEBs regardless on the 1HDT.

Ouch. Luckily it's only labor and parts that are readily available.

Just sourced a 1HD-T and parts for another client recently:

Screen Shot 2018-02-20 at 11.48.25.png
Screen Shot 2018-02-20 at 11.48.12.png
Screen Shot 2018-02-20 at 11.47.59.png
Screen Shot 2018-02-20 at 11.47.43.png

Ouch! Sorry to see this.

At this point, you're up for a full strip down IMO
I'd be planning on new pistons, all new bearings and seals etc.
Also give conrods a careful inspection

If a piston is cracked, and came apart in the future, you'd be up for more than just a rebuild kit and parts.

For $1200 you could get a full rebuild kit from Engines Australia with new pistons, bearings and all the gaskets etc . Probably cheaper overall than buying all these bits and pieces from Toyota.
Those pistons could have microscopic fractures in them, I wouldn't feel comfortable knowing they are being subjected to huge amounts of pressure and heat at 3000rpm.

DHL fly the kits into N America within days of payment usually and the shipping is cheap.

Damn, heres hoping you can get it back together quickly.

Now everyone go check that f'-in gasket is in it's place!

I find it incredible that it come out. They fit into a slot from memory and once the clips and screws are in place its hard to imagine it moving.

when I took my cover off to remove the belt prior to removing the IP on my cruiser, that cover gasket just fell out of its place from the slot in the cover. Definitely going to make sure it goes back on right!

when I took my cover off to remove the belt prior to removing the IP on my cruiser, that cover gasket just fell out of its place from the slot in the cover. Definitely going to make sure it goes back on right!

I generally include this gasket in my TB kits because it's rubber and rubber fails.

In that case then I will buy a kit from you. Might as well install a new belt even though I have 30,000 km to go on it since I have it all opened up right now.

I did mark the belt I took off with match marks per FSM requirements but after reading this thread it has me nervous to reuse it.

For $1200 you could get a full rebuild kit from Engines Australia with new pistons, bearings and all the gaskets etc .

This is what I used when I rebuilt my 1HD-T. Their kit had everything, all bearings, seals etc, but not head a gasket as it has to be ordered to your measurement.
Also didn't include timing belt, tensioner, pulley etc

For $1200 you could get a full rebuild kit from Engines Australia with new pistons, bearings and all the gaskets etc . Probably cheaper overall than buying all these bits and pieces from Toyota.
Those pistons could have microscopic fractures in them, I wouldn't feel comfortable knowing they are being subjected to huge amounts of pressure and heat at 3000rpm.

Those are not OEM components, right? That scares me.

A.

@carbon60

It is unfortunate what happened to your cruiser and I hope that you get it up and running again.

A.

That's correct. But my understanding is that Engines Australia has good aftermarket components. I've seen them used on a 12H-T here in my shop and the parts looked decent. I wasn't very keen on the engine gasket kit. The gaskets were cheap looking and feeling. The head gasket was a joke and was tossed in favor of an OEM HG.

A reason why the aftermarket is so strong in Australia is the high price of OEM Toyota parts being brought into Australia.

Well, my PartSouq shopping cart is currently at USD1375: camshaft, all valve components, HG, engine overhaul gasket kit, head bolts, etc. $150 to ship it to my door, in Ottawa.

A.
Don't be scared, they are a combo of OEM and aftermarket parts and their kits are probably the most widely used inside and outside of Australia. The guy who owns the company is a mechanical engineer and has the non OEM parts made in Taiwan to his specs.
Ive never heard of a failure blamed on the part themselves.
I'm guessing an equivalent all OEM sourced kit would be 3-4 times the cost.

As for OEM parts, it was the poorly designed pistons and weak BEB that led to the demise of many early 1HD T.
And the poor design of the 2L heads that led to many head failures. Toyota are generally very good but no ones perfect.
I would rather have an aftermarket piston in there than those ones you are considering reusing.

It still seems strange to me that the gasket was the cause of this unfortunate destruction.

In the original picture it shows the tensioner pulley has detached and looks as though the belt has burnt and melted to the surface. I would think the belt would fail before the bolt holding the tensionter in place fails, no?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom