HDJ81 Died (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yes mine was in the cover. It was ejected when the tensioner thing happened is my guess. Something else bad must happen to cause this. I don’t see the bolt shearing or pin falling out for funsies without something else going bad

Yes mine was in the cover. It was ejected when the tensioner thing happened is my guess. Something else bad must happen to cause this. I don’t see the bolt shearing or pin falling out for funsies without something else going bad

There should really not be much torque applied to the pulley, from my understanding, so I don’t get it. Was your pulley assembly OEM?

yes all OEM everything. Bearing still run smooth as can be. Hoping to get the head off soon and learn a bit more on what happened.

appears that way, not sure what it could have been.... maybe the head removal will shed more light.

So I’m not wanting to hijack but also want to test some thoughts with this crew.

I’ve taken my head off tonight and inspected some things.

Looks like all valves hit the pistons. Less so on cylinder 6

The fingerprints left on the pistons seem to be carbon only. Can’t hang a finger nail or feel any disturbance in the piston face.

Intake valves seem bent. At least 4 out of 6 are. Having to pound them through the guides.

All exhaust seem ok

Valve shims on intake valves are broken pretty good. Can’t find all the pieces so the pan is coming off

Cam lobes are banged up. Seem to have little flat spots and rubs where the shin likely squireted out the side.

All the lifters seem ok and moved freely in the bores.

I’ll likely go the repair route too but I really want to sort out what happened.

Things I noticed:
Dowel is out of tensioner backing plate in my case and yours

Did your tensioner bolt break? Mine did but the broken end spun by hand in the head making me think not over torqued. It also didn’t back right out so maybe not under torqued?

My tensioner bearing is perfect. My
Tensioner is twisted out and away from the block.

Theory 1:
Dowel wiggles out and goes for a ride though timing pulley. This make a big tension increase in belt and bends tensioner. Dowel pops out other side and tension can’t recover. Slip a tooth or two and bam...

Theory 2:
Bolt fails on tensioner and with the clamp force of thatbolt the tensioner bends and loses tension and slips. Dowel fall out some how some way

Theory 3: some other engine catastrophe I can’t see yet bunds the injection pump or camp and causes a high tension event. Bends tensioner slips belt.

FC69A102-00B3-48F5-A4B9-146C5C280A0A.jpeg
D2B5EE2D-944C-4FAF-A560-F743576D2EDA.jpeg
45DE1607-CA3A-4642-A942-5A116400D051.jpeg
CDCAB07C-2AEE-4DFA-8744-2247C9D55E45.jpeg

Thanks for the reply. I'm looking st generally the same order. Wasn't going to do springs and clips but maybe it's worth it.

It was a bit alarming for me that the torque setting for both bolts (that holds the spring tensioner assy) was only what 20 lbs for the 1HZ / 1PZ? I definitely didn't want that thing coming off.

I guess if you torque too much, the bolt will break as shown in @arnott1t 's post above.

It was a bit alarming for me that the torque setting for both bolts (that holds the spring tensioner assy) was only what 20 lbs for the 1HZ / 1PZ? I definitely didn't want that thing coming off.

I guess if you torque too much, the bolt will break as shown in @arnott1t 's post above.

Not certain mine was an overtorque....

The bolt that broke was spring loaded, meaning as you tighten it thecpring compresses to apply pressure to the tensioner. The left over in the head spun out easily with only fingers to remove it.
Would an over torque fail over time or right away?

Maybe I did.... but I sure didn't think so....

Not certain mine was an overtorque....

The bolt that broke was spring loaded, meaning as you tighten it thecpring compresses to apply pressure to the tensioner. The left over in the head spun out easily with only fingers to remove it.
Would an over torque fail over time or right away?

Maybe I did.... but I sure didn't think so....
Could still potentially be an over-torque issue I think. All the tension comes off the threads when the bolt breaks making it easy to remove.

@arnott1t : I didn't mean to imply that you overtorqued it. Just saying you would think that a such critical component of the engine would require more torque.

Any shade tree mechanic without the FSM (god forbid anyone new to Toyota diesel engines attempt to change that part without the FSM)...would probably try to overtorque it ......."just to make sure it is on there good and snug"....like they do in those South American countries. :)

Oh I’m not being defensive. I screw s*** up all The time. I just didn’t think I did this time and would love to find a smoking gun that made me feel confident it wouldn’t happen again

Anyone found anything about the dowel in the FSM? I spent and hour looking and couldn't see it mentioned anywhere.. I fitted all the external bits to a 1HZ after it was rebuilt in 2005. I remember buying the dowel but I don't remember how it was driven in. Most likely I used a piece of timber and a big hammer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom