HDJ81 Died (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

A reason why the aftermarket is so strong in Australia is the high price of OEM Toyota

Definitely true, plus something like 30% of all diesel landcruiser came to Australia, so there is a much bigger demand for this stuff in Australia.

I would rather have an aftermarket piston in there than those ones you are considering reusing.

100% agreed.

I've used OEM head gaskets for both my 1HD-T rebuild, and when replacing the head on my 1HZ. Cost difference wasn't huge, and OEM HG was on the shelf at a nearby dealer.

The problem for you NA guys, you don't know what HG thickness you need until the bottom end is all assembled, and you can measure piston protrusion above the block.
HG is probably going to mean a second delivery whoever it comes from.

A reason why the aftermarket is so strong in Australia is the high price of OEM Toyota parts being brought into Australia.

And Toyota don't actually sell a rebuild kit. All the parts have to be laboriously ordered separately and no dealer will have them all in stock.
Buying them in one kit greatly reduces time and labour. Even if you bought all the parts from a Toyota dealer like the Saudi dealers or Japanese dealers, it would still be way more than $1200. From the taste testing Ive done , Toyota Australia are still only about 1/3 dearer than the Saudis. The exception is when you want parts they really don't sell much of , like the cloth base for the front seat in a 1988 MWB

Just a note about the pistons.

The main problem with piston/valve contact is not normally surface damage, the unseen problem is if the top ring land has crushed down on the first compression ring.

This will trap the ring preventing it expanding/contracting, the result is an engine that starts and runs well for a few hundred miles and then starts giving problems. The ring starts to score the bore and eventually the oil control ring starts picking up, the result is a smoking engine, unfortunately the head job gets the blame.

For the small amount of extra work pull the pistons, if you are going to check the BEB, then once you have the caps undone it will be well worth it, even if for peace of mind.

Regards

Dave

Last edited:
Dave is absolutely right in this case. Also be sure to check for bent rods. These types of events can cause small bends in the connecting rods that can limit piston travel height and cause compression issues. Eventually the rods fail and can cause cylinder bore damage.
Compare each piston at TDC and take measurements from the block deck height to piston top. There should be no variance in measurements across all cylinders.

Update: the head is good, block is good, pistons and rods appear to be good. Parts have arrived and are with my machinist.

A.

Sounds great , out of curiosity what were the big end bearing like, any picking up of the white metal coating?

Regards

Dave

Sounds great , out of curiosity what were the big end bearing like, any picking up of the white metal coating?

I didn't look. Mine are new, as well. We carefully measured the piston heads and inferred that the bottom end is OK.

A.

Injectors with new nozzles should arrive Wednesday. Should hear from the machinist on whether I need to order shims tomorrow, as well.

A.

Injectors are here and the machinist is doing some final checks, I'll pick up the head tomorrow. Going to start reassembly over the weekend, and try to identify anything that I am missing, so I can order on Monday.

Oh, and I'll drill and tap the manifold for a pyrometer, since it's easy to do at this point.

Confirmed that I need to replace the cam shaft.
I’ve got a camshaft out of a 1HD-T that died of a crack in cylinder bore (non catastrophic) if you’re still in need.

I’ve got a camshaft out of a 1HD-T that died of a crack in cylinder bore (non catastrophic) if you’re still in need.

Thanks very much for offering, I really appreciate that.

Picked up the rebuilt head yesterday, reassembly is starting tomorrow morning. All new OE parts…

Just wanted to say good luck.....we're all counting on you.....
SLxq5Ox.jpg

I read this thread last week and thought what bum luck. Then this happened to me:
B17DEB79-CE69-4B95-AC9D-700DDB9F3580.jpeg
DF95BE7F-35B2-4765-A617-DB20E39EF64E.jpeg
7F41D97C-615A-418E-AAFF-3E6B71A29149.jpeg

Looks like you might have caught it in time? Or did you suffer damage?

No she's bad. Lifters are jammed and cam lobes hurt. Not pretty

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom