Builds HDJ81 Build - (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I finally got the front carrier bearings in from Australia and got the Land Cruiser put back on all fours. It took three weeks for the bearings to arrive.
The North American Land Cruisers have 80mm X 50mm X 15.5mm bearings that can be bought almost anywhere. My JDM LC has 83mm X 50mm X 15.5mm which are VERY hard to find in the USA... I am certain that if I had checked with some of the vendors here on Mud I would have been able to get them sooner.
1583334943637.png

I also gave the boys a little bath.

I finally got the fittings together and plumbed up the Viair compressed air system. I wanted to be able to do everything from the back of the truck so I mounted the quick connect fitting directly to the rear bumper. Since it stuck out I made a shield for it. I used Hydraulic lines instead of regular 250PSI air lines because the pressure switch cuts the compressors off at 200PSI. The hydraulic lines are rated for 4000PSI and are uber tough...

I also mounted the CB radio and the antenna.

IMG_1832.jpeg

IMG_1833.jpeg

IMG_1834.jpeg

IMG_1836.jpeg

Last edited:
I am not very fond of the rear bumper on the truck, but I hope to install a tire carrier bumper by fall. I am thinking about a Slee, 4x4 Labs, or maybe an ARB. Why are the Land Cruiser bumpers so freakin expensive compared to other vehicles?

I put the Cruiser on the lift this afternoon and took the rear brake assemblies apart and cleaned everything up. The star adjusters were frozen on both sides so I had no parking brakes. A little PB Blaster and elbow grease and everything works great. The brake pads were new on the driving brakes, but I bet that the parking brake assemblies have never been serviced. All the components were good, just froze up...

That is a sexy beast! I also have one of those compressors! I was thinking to install it somewhere in the vehicle but was inclined to put it under the hood. I like your idea even better.

That is a sexy beast! I also have one of those compressors! I was thinking to install it somewhere in the vehicle but was inclined to put it under the hood. I like your idea even better.
The temp under hood was a big factor in my decision to put the compressors inside the truck.

This afternoon I decided to pull the front shocks to paint them and to see if I could determine what exactly they are. The back shocks did not need to be removed because they are fairly new Procomp ES9000.

The front shocks had been sprayed with undercoating, so I sanded them down and then used a wire wheel to clean up the rust around the area that the boot had been tie-wrapped to. It was so rusty under the boot that I actually opened up a pin hole in one of the shock bodies. I guess that it was a good thing that it happened when it did because it would have likely burst 1000 miles from anywhere while 4wheeling. Now I can replace it in my own shop, on my own lift, and not laying on my back in some hotel parking lot...

I went ahead and ordered a pair of Rancho RS9000XL shocks and boots for all four shocks.

Last edited:
The first photo shows the TJM air compressor mounted into the rear glove box on the right side of the truck. It fit nicely.
The second and third photos show the rear air locker engaged and disengaged.
The last photo shows the locker sitting on the floor before mounting into the housing. I wanted to make certain that everything worked correctly before installing into the axle housing.

View attachment 2198356

View attachment 2198357

View attachment 2198358

View attachment 2198359
Did you have LSD in the rear just wondering if that made the install of the rear locker any different or having to remove some parts.

Last edited:
Did you have LSD in the rear just wondering if that made the install of the rear locker any different or having to remove some parts.
Yes. It had a limited slip diff. The only real difference in swapping the TJM air locker into the place of the original LSD was having to drill and tap the housing to accept the air line bung. I swapped over the ring gear and did not even need to touch the pinion. Everything fits the same way.

If you do decide to go with the TJM (I highly recommend them), you will need a BSP tap to thread the housing to accept the bung. I have one that I will be glad to loan to you.

I changed the automatic transmission fluid (ATF) in the LC. Following is the procedure that I came up with to do the job:
  • Place the truck on the lift.
  • Put an oil bucket under the transmission drain plug and drain the ATF. (bucket should hold a minimum of two gallons)
  • Check the magnet on the drain plug and verify that there is no metal on it, and that the sludge is minimal. (Mine appears to be in great shape.) If significant sludge or metal are present then you should consider doing more than changing the fluid...
  • Replace the drain plug and fill the transmission pan with 8 quarts of transmission fluid.
  • Attach 3/8" NPT X 3/8" barbed fittings into all three connection of a 3/8"NPT "T".
  • Cut the auxiliary tranny cooler hose and install the "T" inline. On the bottom outlet of the "T" connect a clear poly hose with the other end of the hose being placed into an empty gallon jug. (I used the empty ATF jugs).
  • The goal is to pump all of the dirty ATF fluid out of the transmission while putting only fresh ATF back into the pan. To do this you must clamp the downstream side of the "T" so that nothing returns to the pan. Start the engine and as ATF begins pumping from the center tap of the "T", use locking pliers to briefly pinch-off the transmission cooler hose on one side of the "T". If the fluid stops flowing this is the upstream side of the fitting. If the flow increased, then this is the correct side of the fitting. Clamp the locking pliers on this hose.
  • Watch the oil pump into the jug until it is almost full and then turn the engine off.
  • Add another gallon of ATF, and repeat the process.
  • While the engine is running, set the parking brake and cycle the transmission through all gears several times to make certain that all sections of the tranny gets clean fluid.
  • Continued this process until the tranny fluid running through the hose is fresh and clean. (mine took about 20 quarts)
  • Once clean fluid begins pumping out, turn off the engine.
  • Remove the clear hose and barbed fitting from the "T", as well as the locking pliers.
  • Install a 3/8"NPT plug into the center tap the the T.
  • Check for leaks.
  • With the engine running, the transmission in park, and the parking brake set, fill the transmission until the fluid reaches the full mark on the dip stick.
  • Replace the dip stick.
  • Dispose of used ATF fluid in an environmentally safe manner.
  • Job done!

Last edited:
My dad gave me a vacuum sealer that had a bad control board. My manually pumped vacuum bleeder recently went kaput. I removed the vacuum pump from the vacuum sealer and parts from the manual bleeder system and used it to put together a powered brake bleeder system.

According to the gage, it pulls about 28" of vacuum. Not too bad for throw away parts.

Don't tell the wife that I borrowed her Tupperware container for my little project...

IMG_1862.jpeg

IMG_1860.jpeg

IMG_1859.jpeg

Last edited:
You're bang on for trans fluid swap. I have also done this with a pail pump on 5 gal bucket of fresh fluid plumbed into the trans cooler return line with chunk of hose. Can pump it right back into system by hand rather than pouring down tiny dipstick. Depending on availability might save a few bucks on the same product. Nice truck, really diggin' the colours together.

The steering wheel was next to impossible to turn with the transfer case in low range and the front TJM air locker engaged.
I replaced power steering pump and now everything works perfectly.

This afternoon I ordered a Snow Performance Power-Max Water-Methanol Injection System (PN 450). Hopefully I will receive it before next weekend so that I can install it then.

I didn't get anything done on the Land Cruiser this past week, but I did get some work done on the Autozam Scrum mini dump truck. I have began installing a lift on it so the I can run 25" tires instead of the 20 inch tires that came on it. I installed 250Lb. strut springs, 2" strut spacers, and measured the suspension, motor, and transmission mounts for spacers. I hope to fabricate the spacers this weekend and get her back on the road.

IMG_1894.jpeg

IMG_1896.jpeg

IMG_1897.jpeg

IMG_1899.jpeg

IMG_1900.jpeg

Why air lockers and new winch, the VX LTD comes triple locked with toyota waterproof winch...

Why air lockers and new winch, the VX LTD comes triple locked with toyota waterproof winch...
Not on a 1991 model. I think that they started doing that in 1993....

Not on a 1991 model. I think that they started doing that in 1993....
Mine is 1991 and has all that. VX Ltd model as well. Did it come with the ice cube tray at least?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom