Builds HDJ81 Build - (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
upnover.shutterfly.com
This will be my build thread for my 1991 Toyota Land Cruiser HDJ81. It is the top of the line VX model; complete with a factory refrigerator console. It is has the 1HDT Diesel engine and A442F automatic transmission. It already has a suspension lift and 35" tires.

My plan is to build it into an expedition type vehicle that can be daily driven and also be a capable trail vehicle. I will diligently try to keep from going insane and overbuilding everything....

The Plan:
TJM air lockers (front and rear)
TJM compressor
Longfield Chromoly axles
Intercooler
Snorkle
12,000 pound winch
Synthetic cable
Transmission cooler
Trailer brake controller
Class IV hitch
7" LED driving lights
4" LED yellow fog lights
Kenwood Double DIN stereo
Cobra 29LX CB radio
Pyrometer, Transmission Temperature and Boost gauges
Twin Viair 485C compressors and 5 gallon air tank

I'm sure that the list will grow, but it is enough for now...

Last edited:
IMG_1634.jpeg
IMG_1637.jpeg
IMG_1656.jpeg
IMG_1660.jpeg

IMG_1569.jpeg

I can not find any identifying marks on the bumper. My understanding was that it came from Australia.I would have liked to have got a little more modern looking bumper, but I like it because it lets the winch, winch control box, and transmission cooler fit directly beneath it without modifications to the body or frame.. It also weights about half of what a steel one would weigh...

First off, big ol war eagle for that license plate. Second, what intercooler is that, and where from?

The bar and plate intercooler is made by On 3 Performance. The core is 3"X12"X23.5". It is rated for 700HP. Here is a link to their web-site:
On 3 Performance

All-in, the complete intercooler system cost me about $300 to put together.

The bar and plate intercooler is made by On 3 Performance. The core is 3"X12"X23.5". It is rated for 700HP. Here is a link to their web-site:
On 3 Performance

All-in, the complete intercooler system cost me about $300 to put together.
Did that include the intake adapter? I had to order separately from Australia for $180. I also had to order a separate pipe kit because the intercooler kits don’t contain enough bends.

The intake adapter was $117 including shipping from Australia (Ebay Australia). The 2.5" tubing, silicon pieces, and clamps were about $115. The intercooler was $75 (bought it new from a private individual that never got around to installing it on his vehicle).

TJM compressor and air lockers wired and working. Fog lights and spot lights wired and working. Transmission cooler installed with Auto/Off/On switch installed and working.

Brake controller installed.

I chose to install the yellow fog lights as a throw back to my youth when all real off-road vehicles had yellow fog lights...

IMG_1689.jpeg

IMG_1690.jpeg

The first photo shows the TJM air compressor mounted into the rear glove box on the right side of the truck. It fit nicely.
The second and third photos show the rear air locker engaged and disengaged.
The last photo shows the locker sitting on the floor before mounting into the housing. I wanted to make certain that everything worked correctly before installing into the axle housing.

IMG_1705.jpeg

IMG_1708.jpeg

IMG_1709.jpeg

IMG_1711.jpeg

The TJM system comes complete with a harness that works like most factory vehicles.
Turn the compressor switch ON and the compressor pumps up until the pressure switch shuts it off. It also sends power to the REAR locker switch.
When the REAR locker switch is turned on the locker engages, and at the same time voltage is supplied to the FRONT locker.
When the FRONT locker switch is pushed the front locker engages. If the REAR locker switch is turned OFF then FRONT locker also disengages.

I may modify the system by installing a bypass switch to allow me to power the FRONT locker independent of the rear locker so that I may do front digs.

This is very well laid out, and easy to install.

I got my Pyrometer, Boost Gauge, and Transmission Temp gauges installed. Also installed the Kenwood stereo system. I may install a back-up camera later. (Gauges look pinkish in the photo, but they are white with red needles...)

I was able to install the pre-turbo pyrometer sensor into the exhaust manifold without having to remove the manifold. I kept heavy grease on the drill bits and stepped up to the correct size and ran them at a low speed. The grease catches the filings and keeps them out of the exhaust.
IMG_1740 copy.jpeg

That front bumper is likely an ECB (East Coast Bullbars) Aussie. I have one on mine...

I just checked out the ECB Australia website, and I agree that this is likely the maker of my bumper. Thanks.

Made a mount for the twin Viair 485C compressors. By mounting them one on top of the other, they will not stick out past the fender well. I think that this should work pretty well. A little paint, and I will bolt it in place. I also bought a 5 gallon air tank that will be mounted under the vehicle. Don't know where for certain yet....

IMG_1744.JPG

The Viair 485C compressors are going to be used to air up the tires. The TJM compressor will be used for the air lockers only.

The 5 gallon air tank is mounted in the old spare tire mounting location. It will cycle on at 165 PSI and off at 200 PSI. I will install quick connects on the front and rear bumpers.

IMG_1749.jpeg

IMG_1755.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom