HD Skid Plate (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

why would a rear seal failure cause an input seal to fail as well?:confused:

orangefj45 said:
why would a rear seal failure cause an input seal to fail as well?:confused:
Well, my experience is that when the seal between the tranny and transfer case fails, the added pressure in the tranny due to gear oil being pumped into the tranny from the transfer case causes the front seal on the tranny to eventually fail. If you look closely at the photo below, you will see the access plate wet with gear oil. I've had the gear shifter out and there is no oil being purged from the shifter mount on top of the tranny. I've had this happen to the front seal every time the tranny/transfer seal has failed. When the photos were taken, I had just installed the bypass and it took time for the gear oil that had already been purged to flow out. Since then I have noticed a reduction in the oil flow out the front seal and a dramatic reduction in the oil loss from the transfer case.
Skid Plate 16R.jpg

Last edited:
How much clearance do you have between the bottom of your tcase and the skidplate? I'm interested in group purchase, but could use that at a base measurement for needed clearance for my Orion, that sits ~1/2" lower.

Also, on the install, do you have to use a lift?

You ever check the bearings in your tranny to see if they still are within spec??

If you are building up high presures in the tranny/tcase you have other issues..

Mace said:
You ever check the bearings in your tranny to see if they still are within spec??

If you are building up high presures in the tranny/tcase you have other issues..
The last time I tore them down everything looked fine - gears, bearings, washers, spacers, shims, output/idler shafts. Of course that was 30K miles ago (10 years) when I put a rebuilt Toyota clutch in, along with replacing all the seals. What other issues would you be refering to? Is there something else I should be looking at when I take eveything out to put the centerforce clutch in.?

Last edited:
The tranny/tcase is vented to the atmosphere. So, even if you add a ton of extra oil to the tranny cause the seal wore out pressures wouldn't increase significantly..
I would be more concerned with play in the input and the tranny output.. That would eat seal rapidly..

And you are eating seals a lot faster then you should.

Mace said:
The tranny/tcase is vented to the atmosphere. So, even if you add a ton of extra oil to the tranny cause the seal wore out pressures wouldn't increase significantly..
I would be more concerned with play in the input and the tranny output.. That would eat seal rapidly..

And you are eating seals a lot faster then you should.
What you said makes a lot of sense. I will be inspecting/measuring all the shafts when I rebuild the tranny, to make sure that they are not contributors to early seal failure.

The Orion fits above the factory skidplate with no changes.

Mark...

So, then, since the drum is the lowest part of the case, and the Orion doesn't lower that, it would be logical to assume that this transfer case wouldn't need to be modified for it?

Thanks!

On my Orion, the lowest point is the drainplug - by far. It's only 1/2" lower than stock at the drainplug.

Here is another photo that shows how the skid plate marries to the edge of the frame.

Contact information if your interested in purchasing one:
Caid Industries
Dave Watson
520-294-9252
The prototype was under $400

Man I really like that skid plate so finally got around to calling Dave Watson today. Unfortunately, the price he gave me was $600. I had made up my mind to get one thinking it would be under $400. If I understood right, they haven't done anymore since the first one for bsevans. I'd hoped that they had been producing a few of these and price would be more reasonable but apparently not. I'm sure its worth $600 but just don't know if I want to put that much into it.

By the way, the phone # has changed to 520-889-7775. Somebody else order some of these so we can get the price back down!!

wow. for $825 you can easily have a custom skid plate built at just about any fab shop.:eek:

I'm real glad I got mine for $365. I'm not sure what the increase is all about (time, cost of steel, labor rates, profit etc). When I talked to Dave 7 months ago, he assured me that cost to build additional units would be under $400. Time changes many things.

Very nice work. I'm getting ready to make something similar - but am going to run flat across the portion under the transmission (SM420 with AA adaptor to t-case) and then cut out and weld ramps around just the area of the t-case that hangs below the frame rails.

My tranny and most of t-case sits about 1/2" below the plane of the frame rails - so perhaps with a little extra spacing on all the mounts (fan shroud adjustment included) and a minor bit of spacing for the plate and I hope to be mostly flat - seen it done before and looks like it works fine.

That plasmas cutter is awesome - just spent an hour grinding the slag off my 3/8" plates for my traction bar and the regular plasma cuts were kinda rough...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom