Has anyone replaced the charcoal in the emission canister on a FZJ80? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wayne

Bought by His blood, kept by His power
Threads
I saw where it was done on and earlier model FJ80, but has anyone done it on an FZJ80?

Took mine apart and bought $12 container of charcoal and has been working fine over the last 1.5 years on a 96 model year Cruiser

Rudster, that's great news. Where did you buy the charcoal, what attention did you give to the valve on the top of the canister?

Rudster, that's great news. Where did you buy the charcoal, what attention did you give to the valve on the top of the canister?
Charcoal purchased at Petsmart - (fish tank charcoal) and had to carefully cut top of lid off, cleaned everything, reassembled it, JB weld lid back on. Landcrusierphil has a writeup on the thread somewhere.

Thanks for the quick reply. I saw Landcruiserphil's write up with pics, but his canister was the earlier version and I didn't know if they were the same internally. I know the valve on the top is different. Thanks again for the help.

I did this on my 94 about 6 months ago. I didn't JB Weld it due to the tight compression fit of the lid. No leaks and has been working great.

I did this on my 94 about 6 months ago. I didn't JB Weld it due to the tight compression fit of the lid. No leaks and has been working great.
Thatvan, how did you get the crimped lid off the canister body? That rolled crimp looks like it would be very hard to uncrimp without messing it up. How'd you get inside the canister?

Wayne

Took mine apart and bought $12 container of charcoal and has been working fine over the last 1.5 years on a 96 model year Cruiser
Lump or briquettes?

I bought the GM canister for about $35 IIRC and have not had any problems on my 96 LX450. I posted somewhere in that huge thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom