Harrop Supercharger Stage 1 - LX 570 Drivetrain Reliability ? (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hello from AUS. Well it's now been a year or so and around 25,300 klm since the Harrop install, and I still can't wipe the smile off my face. As I've probably said before this is how the vehicle should have been released originally. Power on tap and have still been getting some great MPG figures. As far as your question on reliability, I haven't had any issues whatsoever. Heaps of power, great oil pressure (engine has not used one drop of oil between services), runs cool, and no transmission or drivetrain issues. I recently did a drive north from Brisbane to Townsville, west to Winton and down through the middle back home. Around 3400 klm all up. Best MPG was 11.18 L/100 (21.04mpg), worst was 14.38 L/100 (16.36 mpg) into a westerly headwind for 5 hours, with an average over the trip of 12.27 L/100 (19.17 mpg). I must mention that it is still pulling the van (3000kg) between 18.1 and 19.4 on the highway at 100 kph. Not bad for an egine tuned for Premium 95 from day 1. The only thing I'm looking at doing is a mild shift and lock-up converter kit for the auto. I think economy when towing would be much better if the converter locks a little earlier. This was the first real long distance test for the beast and it performed flawlessly. The acceleration from 100 kph to OMG when passing a few cattle road trains out west was phenomenal, although I can report that the LT285/65X18 Geolanders do get to be a bit of a handful at the top end of their speed rating (lol) !!! Am I happy with it, Absolutely. Am I worried about reliability, Absolutely not.
Just a note for the US readers....Australian gallons (like UK and Ireland gallons) are 4.54 liters, whereas US gallons are 3.8 liters. To convert the Aussie MPG to US equivalent, multiply by 0.83....so the 21.04MPG above works out to 17.6MPG which is still decent for a supercharged LC/LX.

My buddy looking at the magnuson sc for the tundra as recommended to him by a reputable Lc200 builder

“Includes handheld tuner device, calibration, and detailed step by step instructions for a seamless installation experience.”

This one

My buddy looking at the magnuson sc for the tundra as recommended to him by a reputable Lc200 builder

“Includes handheld tuner device, calibration, and detailed step by step instructions for a seamless installation experience.”

This one

My buddy is a Toyota tuner and he said magnuson is better as it has a tune

So the Magnusson kit has a tune for the ‘18+ Land Cruisers? If so, I might have to get one of those kits in the future. I assume the tune is 50 state legal for emissions too?

So the Magnusson kit has a tune for the ‘18+ Land Cruisers? If so, I might have to get one of those kits in the future. I assume the tune is 50 state legal for emissions too?

The magnuson is a legal tune is my understanding

No, they don't. At least not for sale on their website. Magnusson kits stop after 2015.

Guess I’ll just keep waiting. Not that I’ve got $8k+ burning a hole in my pocket to spend anyways

Guess I’ll just keep waiting. Not that I’ve got $8k+ burning a hole in my pocket to spend anyways
The one thats been posted is the one you need. They have to pay mega bucks to CARB/EPA crap etc etc to specify it for each vehicle so you likely won't ever see it listed for each of the years of the LC, Sequoia, LX, Tundra.

The one thats been posted is the one you need. They have to pay mega bucks to CARB/EPA crap etc etc to specify it for each vehicle so you likely won't ever see it listed for each of the years of the LC, Sequoia, LX, Tundra.
So the ‘19+ Tundra ECU is the same as my ‘18 LC? I assume Magnussson is using a flash loader and it’ll work just fine on my LC?

So the ‘19+ Tundra ECU is the same as my ‘18 LC? I assume Magnussson is using a flash loader and it’ll work just fine on my LC?
I'd contact Mike, owner of Figs Engineering. They are local and did one of the first installs of a Maggie 2650 in a Tundra. He can answer all your questions related to tuning and you can buy direct from them. From what I've heard they also offer a decent price for install if you are interested in that too.

Do people have longer term experience with stage 2? I've talked with Boringdriver and he's had very few issue's. I'm going to get the Harrop 2650 and want stage 2(cause why not) but curious if it'll negatively effect reliability. I've got a 2015 Lx that's my daily and need it to be rock solid(already have a racecar).

Besides costs, is there a downside to stage 2?

Do people have longer term experience with stage 2? I've talked with Boringdriver and he's had very few issue's. I'm going to get the Harrop 2650 and want stage 2(cause why not) but curious if it'll negatively effect reliability. I've got a 2015 Lx that's my daily and need it to be rock solid(already have a racecar).

You’d be increasing power output by like 50%. There absolutely has to be a reliability consequence, even if there aren’t enough units out there with enough miles to have a failure yet.

AFAIK Boringdriver is the only stage 2 LC/LX on here; could be totally wrong.

I have the same sentiments on stage 2. The closest long term experience I've seen are the guys with the TRD Magnuson TVS 1900 on their truck since new and have since swapped to smaller pulleys and running more boost with some miles on them. Saw a guy update a post 2 days ago in another thread on the Tundra forum that after 2.5 years of running a tiny pulley on his Flex Fuel truck tuned on E85-93 hitting 16lbs of boost that a couple rods had left the chat. He was making 650 to the wheels.

Once the required supporting mods have been done- fuel pump, injectors, plugs, and good tune the general rule I've picked up is that you are safe if you keep it below 10lbs of boost. The stock pulley, 85mm on Harrop and 86mm on the Maggie, will get you about 7lbs of boost at sea level. Going to a 80mm, stage 2, will net an additional ~2lbs. Still safe at sea level, but a must in my book if you live at elevation.

Although Harrop says you don't "need" a tune it's a must for most of us. Harrop does not include injectors in their 'kit' but it seems like a no brainer. And while you are at it 1-step colder spark plugs.

PRO:
At that point what is a $165 pulley!

CONS:
IIRC the stock fuel injectors are 372cc and the TRD ones that I believe come with the Maggie kit are 535cc and no one has reported problems with them. Some have reported the TRD's running past the high point of the duty cycle which you want to stay below 80% ideally. Going to a stage 2 warrants a larger injector of 650cc+ and others including myself have run into intermittent warm start issues. I'm attempting to resolve this issue before dropping down to the 77.5mm pulley and re-tune. Always starts, but has to crank thru 2 cycles sometimes. Other times starts completely normal. Always cold starts good. Not sure if its something with the injectors themselves or something yet to be discovered in the tune. Avoid FiveO and Fuel Injector Clinic. I think the Prospeed 650 and 750 have been good.

Another con is that the catalytic convertors don't like superchargers. I can't see the stock ones living a long life.

You’d be increasing power output by like 50%. There absolutely has to be a reliability consequence, even if there aren’t enough units out there with enough miles to have a failure yet.
In general yes, but don't forget the Toyota Tundra TRD Supercharged held the title of the world's fastest truck for over a decade, outpacing sports cars with its 0-60 mph time of 4.4 seconds.

If conservative Mr.T put a SC on the 3UR you know they left a comfortable margin for error in terms of long term reliability. I'd imagine there are thousands of them out there with lots of miles from brand new; some driven by people who don't even know it has a supercharger and needs maintenance. :steer:

AFAIK Boringdriver is the only stage 2 LC/LX on here; could be totally wrong.

I have the same sentiments on stage 2. The closest long term experience I've seen are the guys with the TRD Magnuson TVS 1900 on their truck since new and have since swapped to smaller pulleys and running more boost with some miles on them. Saw a guy update a post 2 days ago in another thread on the Tundra forum that after 2.5 years of running a tiny pulley on his Flex Fuel truck tuned on E85-93 hitting 16lbs of boost that a couple rods had left the chat. He was making 650 to the wheels.

Once the required supporting mods have been done- fuel pump, injectors, plugs, and good tune the general rule I've picked up is that you are safe if you keep it below 10lbs of boost. The stock pulley, 85mm on Harrop and 86mm on the Maggie, will get you about 7lbs of boost at sea level. Going to a 80mm, stage 2, will net an additional ~2lbs. Still safe at sea level, but a must in my book if you live at elevation.

Although Harrop says you don't "need" a tune it's a must for most of us. Harrop does not include injectors in their 'kit' but it seems like a no brainer. And while you are at it 1-step colder spark plugs.

PRO:
At that point what is a $165 pulley!

CONS:
IIRC the stock fuel injectors are 372cc and the TRD ones that I believe come with the Maggie kit are 535cc and no one has reported problems with them. Some have reported the TRD's running past the high point of the duty cycle which you want to stay below 80% ideally. Going to a stage 2 warrants a larger injector of 650cc+ and others including myself have run into intermittent warm start issues. I'm attempting to resolve this issue before dropping down to the 77.5mm pulley and re-tune. Always starts, but has to crank thru 2 cycles sometimes. Other times starts completely normal. Always cold starts good. Not sure if its something with the injectors themselves or something yet to be discovered in the tune. Avoid FiveO and Fuel Injector Clinic. I think the Prospeed 650 and 750 have been good.

Another con is that the catalytic convertors don't like superchargers. I can't see the stock ones living a long life.
Thanks for the information, I'm assuming if I bump up injectors it'll need a tune, even with the larger pulley? What is your setup?

I've been talking with Prospeed, but I'm in Denver so maybe I should reach out to Figs. I was planning on doing the install myself, need need a tuner, etc.

In general yes, but don't forget the Toyota Tundra TRD Supercharged held the title of the world's fastest truck for over a decade, outpacing sports cars with its 0-60 mph time of 4.4 seconds.

If conservative Mr.T put a SC on the 3UR you know they left a comfortable margin for error in terms of long term reliability. I'd imagine there are thousands of them out there with lots of miles from brand new; some driven by people who don't even know it has a supercharger and needs maintenance. :steer:

Did toyota japan design the SC Tundra? or was that a TRD project?

I'm not saying it can't be - or isn't - reliable.. I'm saying it will impact drivetrain reliability compared to a stock vehicle.. which seems obvious to me.

Thanks for the information, I'm assuming if I bump up injectors it'll need a tune, even with the larger pulley? What is your setup?

I've been talking with Prospeed, but I'm in Denver so maybe I should reach out to Figs. I was planning on doing the install myself, need need a tuner, etc.
I’m in the same boat on self install, but I live in Houston and reached out to Prospeed… it’s very expensive for the installation. :(

I installed the Harrop on mine, its extremely easy and took 2 days. Save yourself the $3k in labor! You just need some basic tools, a friend would be helpful, and a little patience. Both Maggie and Harrop designed their SC to be as DIY friendly as possible and as far as a tune really is not needed but I highly recommend it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom