Harrop Supercharger Stage 1 - LX 570 Drivetrain Reliability ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently purchased a 2015 LX 570 with 59K on the clock. I love this car, however the one improvement desperately needed is a major performance bump. So I have an order in for a Harrop TVS2650 Stage 1 kit (pictured). Due to the lead times involved, all I can do is google, read forums and Facebook group discussions regarding some of the folks who have supercharged similar cars (Tundra mainly).

With concerns over how Toyota yanked the Magnuson/TRD supercharger kit due to issues with their tune, resulting to extreme but rare catastrophic engine failure, how have things evolved/changed with the newer kits (Magnuson/Whipple/Harrop) that mitigate prior issues/concerns?

Additionally, the Harrop Stage 1 kit does not come with a tune, as it relies on the ECU to learn and adjust. What are your opinions on this, and are there any long-term reliability concerns with the engine/drivetrain?

IMG_0884.jpg

IMG_0994_1.JPG

IMG_0996.jpg

IMG_0989.jpg

Additionally, the Harrop Stage 1 kit does not come with a tune, as it relies on the ECU to learn and adjust. What are your opinions on this, and are there any long-term reliability concerns with the engine/drivetrain?

As a tuner in a previous life. Everything comes down to the tune. Reliability, performance, refinement.

Can't just slap in boost and assume the ECU will know what to do with it. It may run, and even run reasonably well in parts. But there are definitely going to be transients and conditions where the stock tune just won't know what do with what it's seeing. Ignition and fuel maps will flat out be wrong in sections, creating unsafe combustion with lean fueling and knock. It's these corner conditions that will ultimately do the motor in.

That said, I believe there are flashes or piggybacks available on the market. Search for Magnuson and LX570.

Ignition and fuel maps will flat out be wrong in sections, creating unsafe combustion with lean fueling and knock.
This.

The correct timing and fuel ratios for forced induction weren’t even a consideration when toyota set up the tables for this engine. There is no inherent way for this NA ecu to “learn and adjust” other than to listen for knock, and any timing/fuel changes it makes will still be assuming it is naturally aspirated.

Plus, this will all be far outside what toyota expected/predicted this engine to run like, so over time it will tend to push back toward the parts of the tables that were making it knock.. only to see more knock and then pull timing again.

Personally I would only consider one of these kits if a real engine tuner can confirm they have the ability to tune your ECU on a dyno. I do believe HPtuners lists their software as being compatible. And for the record it does appear there are hardware and software differences between these and similar year 3UR-FE tundras, so be aware someone that has done work on those can’t assume because it’s the “same engine” their experience will guarantee success.

Definitely want to follow your progress. I've been eyeing this kit for my 2018 Lx. I know of one Harrop kit that's going to be installed on a 200LC locally to me.

Definitely want to follow your progress. I've been eyeing this kit for my 2018 Lx. I know of one Harrop kit that's going to be installed on a 200LC locally to me.
I could be wrong but seem to remember the 16+ and maybe especially 18+ ecu having significant encryption differences.. so do your homework separately to confirm the tuning can be altered.

Would it be better with dyno time and a good tuner? Sure. Will running it on a stock ecu map hurt it? No. These run pretty low boost, and the ECU will adjust as necessary. People slap Mustang Cobra (03-04) blowers to Lexus V8s all the time with no drama. There are places that will send you ecu's tuned for a core charge and you can send yours back to them for your core deposit refund.

Would it be better with dyno time and a good tuner? Sure. Will running it on a stock ecu map hurt it? No. These run pretty low boost, and the ECU will adjust as necessary. People slap Mustang Cobra (03-04) blowers to Lexus V8s all the time with no drama. There are places that will send you ecu's tuned for a core charge and you can send yours back to them for your core deposit refund.
Apparently I was wrong about it being with absolutely no tune. For the 2015 LX, they include an off-the-shelf flash tune. For cars that aren't tunable yet (certain model years), that's where they do the fuel pressure regulator mod per instructions and let ECU self adjust.

Last edited:
I recently purchased a 2015 LX 570 with 59K on the clock. I love this car, however the one improvement desperately needed is a major performance bump. So I have an order in for a Harrop TVS2650 Stage 1 kit (pictured). Due to the lead times involved, all I can do is google, read forums and Facebook group discussions regarding some of the folks who have supercharged similar cars (Tundra mainly).

With concerns over how Toyota yanked the Magnuson/TRD supercharger kit due to issues with their tune, resulting to extreme but rare catastrophic engine failure, how have things evolved/changed with the newer kits (Magnuson/Whipple/Harrop) that mitigate prior issues/concerns?

View attachment 2697913

View attachment 2697914

View attachment 2697915

View attachment 2697916
Greetings from AUS. Like you I have an 2015 model. I've been toying with selling and replacing it with something that has a bunch more torque to tow our recently purchased caravan. Don't get me wrong, it tows the 3T van quite well and does it using only 18.1 L/100 which is outstanding for a big v8, but it really needed more bottom end torque for that "off the mark performance" and off road/beach work with the van on the back. So I've decided to keep the old girl and had a Harrop 2650 installed last week and I thought I'd give you some feedback until you get yours. First of all performance: Outstanding! The pull of this engine from off idle through to 6k rpm is not only amazing, but truly effortless. These 570's should have all been built with a supercharger as it takes the vehicle to whole new level. I also had the transmission remapped which has made it an absolute dream to drive. Fuel economy : I can't really give much info here yet as I only picked it up 3 days ago. To give some idea I filled the tank with Premium 95 at a servo around the corner from the installer, hit the motorway, set it at 110 kph on cruise control and ended up an hour later with a fuel use of 12.3 L/100. Seriously I could be happier, and that was a pump to pump calculation NOT the reading from the dash (13.1). Driving this thing now is an absolute pleasure with no whine on light throttle or cruising. If you stand on it you will get some noise but not intrusive at all. Fun factor 10/10, Performance 10/10. I'll update in a few weeks with more fuel figs for all. Note : You must get a good tune for these to perform to their best, and for longevity of the engine.

Greetings from AUS. Like you I have an 2015 model. I've been toying with selling and replacing it with something that has a bunch more torque to tow our recently purchased caravan. Don't get me wrong, it tows the 3T van quite well and does it using only 18.1 L/100 which is outstanding for a big v8, but it really needed more bottom end torque for that "off the mark performance" and off road/beach work with the van on the back. So I've decided to keep the old girl and had a Harrop 2650 installed last week and I thought I'd give you some feedback until you get yours. First of all performance: Outstanding! The pull of this engine from off idle through to 6k rpm is not only amazing, but truly effortless. These 570's should have all been built with a supercharger as it takes the vehicle to whole new level. I also had the transmission remapped which has made it an absolute dream to drive. Fuel economy : I can't really give much info here yet as I only picked it up 3 days ago. To give some idea I filled the tank with Premium 95 at a servo around the corner from the installer, hit the motorway, set it at 110 kph on cruise control and ended up an hour later with a fuel use of 12.3 L/100. Seriously I could be happier, and that was a pump to pump calculation NOT the reading from the dash (13.1). Driving this thing now is an absolute pleasure with no whine on light throttle or cruising. If you stand on it you will get some noise but not intrusive at all. Fun factor 10/10, Performance 10/10. I'll update in a few weeks with more fuel figs for all. Note : You must get a good tune for these to perform to their best, and for longevity of the engine.
I appreciate you taking the time to provide a solid early impressions review! I'm very excited and cannot wait. I am anticipating the install will happen in August, as that's when the shop will likely receive the shipment.

Which tuning platform did your tuner go with, was it HPTuners?

Thats pretty good, around 19mpg at 70 MPH. That is unloaded correct?

As the Harrop workshop is about a 3400 km round trip from my home, I decided to go with Bullet Performance in Queensland. This company has been around a long time and specialize in all things supercharged. What they don't know about blowers isn't worth knowing. One of the main reasons I went there was not only to get performance, but long term reliability. And these guys have supercharged vehicles which now have a couple of hundred thousand klms on them. A no brainer for me.
Tune was done on the dyno using Warrtech ECU tuning software. Yes vehicle was essentially unloaded. Full tank of fuel, the old manifold and bits and pieces, and me. So around 2950 kg all up.
www.warrtech.com.au
Like others on the forum I can't stress enough the need for a good quality tune, and preferably done on the dyno. Some say you can fill it with Premium 98 and drive it straight out of the box. But if you want it to last and get good economy, the proper tune is essential.
IMG_0618.JPG
IMG_0721.JPG

As the Harrop workshop is about a 3400 km round trip from my home, I decided to go with Bullet Performance in Queensland. This company has been around a long time and specialize in all things supercharged. What they don't know about blowers isn't worth knowing. One of the main reasons I went there was not only to get performance, but long term reliability. And these guys have supercharged vehicles which now have a couple of hundred thousand klms on them. A no brainer for me.
Tune was done on the dyno using Warrtech ECU tuning software. Yes vehicle was essentially unloaded. Full tank of fuel, the old manifold and bits and pieces, and me. So around 2950 kg all up.
www.warrtech.com.au
Like others on the forum I can't stress enough the need for a good quality tune, and preferably done on the dyno. Some say you can fill it with Premium 98 and drive it straight out of the box. But if you want it to last and get good economy, the proper tune is essential.View attachment 2714959View attachment 2714960
Hey gang, have been interested on this for sometime now. I just wanted to check in and see how your old girls doing with superchargers? thanks!

There are a number of threads on tundras.com regarding this topic, the last few in this thread show how bad the canned Magnuson tune was.

Good luck!

Hey gang, have been interested on this for sometime now. I just wanted to check in and see how your old girls doing with superchargers? thanks!
Greetings from Aus,
So far the upgrade has been outstanding. Power to spare and have had some remarkable fuel economy with the 3T van on the back. Fuel economy could be better around town if there weren't so many young wannabe's wanting to see how slow their cars really are !! Lol. Honestly though it's been a dream to drive. If you keep the foot off it and drive with a fairly light throttle, you will hardly hear the whine of the blower at all and get some fairly good fuel figures. Haven't had any engine, gearbox, or diff issues whatsoever although I'm planning on doing the heavy duty valve body upgrade on the auto just to make sure it's not stressed when towing. All engine readings are perfect and runs nice and cool even under load. There's been a bunch of previous posts on getting a good tune and I couldn't agree more. The old girl was tuned on the dyno with a Warrtech Ecu remap, and tuned for Premium 95 not 98. Worth every penny, I only wish I had done it sooner.

Greetings from Aus,
So far the upgrade has been outstanding. Power to spare and have had some remarkable fuel economy with the 3T van on the back. Fuel economy could be better around town if there weren't so many young wannabe's wanting to see how slow their cars really are !! Lol. Honestly though it's been a dream to drive. If you keep the foot off it and drive with a fairly light throttle, you will hardly hear the whine of the blower at all and get some fairly good fuel figures. Haven't had any engine, gearbox, or diff issues whatsoever although I'm planning on doing the heavy duty valve body upgrade on the auto just to make sure it's not stressed when towing. All engine readings are perfect and runs nice and cool even under load. There's been a bunch of previous posts on getting a good tune and I couldn't agree more. The old girl was tuned on the dyno with a Warrtech Ecu remap, and tuned for Premium 95 not 98. Worth every penny, I only wish I had done it sooner.

Is the SC possible with 91 gas? In NM, I have only once seen 93 and all the Chevrons are max 91 at the pump.

I've been eyeing the SC for my 2010LX for all the elevation changes I go through in a typical day, easily 3000 foot change everyday.

Apparently I was wrong about it being with absolutely no tune. For the 2015 LX, they include an off-the-shelf flash tune. For cars that aren't tunable yet (certain model years), that's where they do the fuel pressure regulator mod per instructions and let ECU self adjust.
Was this only the the LX or did this tune apply to the LC as well?

I have a 2021 LC with the Harrop SC since new… no tune, installed per Harrop instructions… run 91octane fuel and notice nothing out of the ordinary - feels OEM like to me… slight whine (music to my ears) when you get on it

I am at just over 6k miles so cannot comment on “long term” ramifications

My thought was that a largely unstressed 5.7 V8 with roughly 350 hp moving 6000+ lbs “needs” some giddy up added… so far thumbs up

I’m pushing almost 8k miles since install. No issues. Fuel economy has improved (if you stay out of it) to over 14mpg on 33’s. This is easily the best money spent of the 200 series platform. “Feels” very OEM in application. Lots and lots of power when you need it; grocery getter when you don’t.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom