H55F Transmission Support Brackets (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Still trying to figure out these crossmembers and insulators. Toyota isn't helping. At this points believe the FB on the L barckets is for the F and B engines. H is for the H engine. Why my 82 FJ40 and 83 FJ83 have the same L brackets when there is different part number starting 10/82? And why nogo has three insulators from FJs that have H on the rubber pad is a mystery. Same part with a different number?:meh: @nogo you wouldn't happen to have a insulator from a HJ47 you could measure the the width and compare the width to the ones from the FJs with the H? While I've never checked it out I heard that the late FJ40s shared front axle parts with the mini truck. Different part number with a different cost, the Land Cruiser being higher. Wish we had excess to all six L brackets and insulators. If the frame changed 10/82 on the SWB it was not enough to change anything for the skid plate mount which have the same mounting early and late. There were no engine changes on 10/82. If the engine mounting on the front didn't change why change the back mount. While Toyota changed the part number on L brackets 10/82 we have only come up with one for each of the three models. Wish I had my two other insulators here in town to measure the other two which might be a F and H.:meh: The B insulator I have is 1 9/16"/40MM in total width. I've been searching as much as I could of the 82+ front floor pan. Only thing I find in common on anything is the inspection cover. Only show two, four speed and five speed which I have both. But I'm not sure I have information on all markets. Never seen one of the 200 US Imported FJ40 to inspect the floor. Won't surprise me that Toyota changed changed the dash but used up some of the old floors since they knew they were ending the 40 series in 83 and didn't plan on importing many. Also knew none would have a five speed. @Bear maybe you have some insight on this. Just not sure why Toyota would change the floor/inspection cover for the four speed and have it different than the five speed when the footprint of the inspection was the same and raised the same on both.

Currently working on cleaning up my transmission and transfer case while I work on getting the input shaft switch worked out. After that hope to start a thread on installing a five speed as close to stock as possible in a 1/79+ FJ40. While It's probably been done the few threads I've seen on installing a H55F are using later/custom parts.
Installing as close to stock in my 80 is what I am after also.

LITP,

There were six different top tunnel inspection covers made for the 40 Series and those included a 3-speed cover and a cover for PTO installations.
From 10/82 four of those remained.
The four speeds used a flat cover; the five speeds needed the additional height of the raised cover.

There are two 4-speed inspection covers. The general use four speed cover(58262-90084) that started in 1/79 was "modified" in 10/82 with a different part number(58261-90800); however, for some strange reason the earlier version continued to 4/86 for Venezuela-spec trucks only--unsure just why this is so.

I have only seen one version of the raised cover(58261-90801), and I believe it to be intended for the five speeds. However, I do have an '83 longbed that came with a raised cover for its 4-speed and cannot see any differences between that cover and a known 5-speed cover. It fits snugly and the shifters and boots seem correctly positioned. With all the intervening years and previous owners, it could be a factory-installed 5-speed cover, or a swapped out 5-speed cover, OR.....perhaps it is the 10/82 up four-speed cover(58261-90800) which might be raised--I wouldn't know if I saw one. It appears to exactly match the other 5-speed covers I have, but since the covers are not part-stamped, cannot determine. The rubber "packing" gaskets for the covers DO have part numbers, but I'm too lazy to remove this cover and check its gasket for a number. In any event, the truck is happy using this cover with its 4-speed transmission, so I'm guessing that the raised covers can be also used for the 4-speeds without modification.

The 45 series pickups apparently never received the 5-speeds, and with the various versions of the floor stampings out there, it is odd that a 5-speed cover would fit the 45 series pickup tunnel, unless the 5-speed tunnels have the same footprint configuration as the 4-speed tunnels, at least in the area of the inspection covers. I suspect the tunnels for all 40-Series are all the same after 10/82 and include the RH lower bump-out into the RH("passenger") floor area.

My understanding is that you also plan to install a 5-speed into a 1964-1967 pickup LPB? If so, the earlier tunnels may possibly be not shaped exactly as the 1/79 up tunnels where you need to install the inspection cover, so some fabrication might be indicated for this type of install. If this is your plan, have you dry-fit a 5-speed cover over your existing tunnel near where you'll need it?

BTW, along with the inspection cover gasket, the outer boot for the transmission shifter, and both the inner and outer boots for the transfer shifter changed on the raised covers from the 1/79-10/82 ones more commonly seen. All or some of these boots and the gasket may be long discontinued.

This is what gives me a headache. Toyota says there was only one raised inspection for the five speed ony but you have one as do I. It is not the same as the the five speed. The opening for transfer case lever is further back on the five speed guessing because with the whole linkage moved further back on the five speed it was too hard to get it forward that far. Here are pictures of the four and five speed raised inspection covers. Can see I have both boots for both covers. Plan is to use the second one on my FJ45 after a floor graft from a later model. Just seems Toyota's parts system is full misinformation. But goes with dropping everything from the parts system pre 3/69.

IMG_2764.JPG
IMG_2762.JPG

Nice photos. I recognize the white 4-speed and the white and black 5-speeds, but what is that red one taken from?
The angles and shifter positions don't look like 40-series--are they from 60/62 series?

To further complicate the issue--there are two different inspection covers for the late model FJ55 before it was retired.

Congrats--with all your various parts, you look well-positioned to do the 5-speed conversion with the least amount of adjustment or modification.

As for all their failures to support a thriving interest in their older vehicles, I am grateful for the availability of some of these 30-50 year old parts, and the very fact that these old iron girls haven't totally rotted away by now. Very few if any other manufacturers of any items keep any old parts beyond what legal requirements may be imposed upon them. And then there are brands that have totally disappeared by now.

As I have mentioned before, I sure wish I was on hand when Toyota was cleaning out their warehouses and tossing parts into the dumpsters. Would have felt like being permitted to treasure-hunt on the tailings of a huge diamond mine ! I once even offered a wholesale diamond merchant in L. A. to do their daily vacuuming for free and even take the vacuum cleaner home to give it a good "cleaning" !

Nice photos. I recognize the white 4-speed and the white and black 5-speeds, but what is that red one taken from?
The angles and shifter positions don't look like 40-series--are they from 60/62 series?
The red one looks like the blue one in my 06/86 FJ60 project vehicle. The earlier FJ60s had at least one bolt, maybe two, across the front of the cover. Starting 04/86 the cover was changed in a couple of ways. One change deleted the front bolt(s) and added a small plate retainer (spot welded to the floor panel) that the cover slips under from behind, this secures the front of the cover. The plate's shown as Part Code 58754 in this diagram:

FJ60 Front Floor.png

On the red cover you can see the "shadow" of the small plate retainer along the front edge, just left of center.

Last edited:
I have the top right white one. I hope it is correct.

Top right is from a 3/83 BJ42RV with a five speed. Should be the same as a LHD. My shift cane has a angle to the right I need to straighten out. Your LHD is already straight.

To further complicate the issue--there are two different inspection covers for the late model FJ55 before it was retired.

Congrats--with all your various parts, you look well-positioned to do the 5-speed conversion with the least amount of adjustment or modification.

As for all their failures to support a thriving interest in their older vehicles, I am grateful for the availability of some of these 30-50 year old parts, and the very fact that these old iron girls haven't totally rotted away by now. Very few if any other manufacturers of any items keep any old parts beyond what legal requirements may be imposed upon them. And then there are brands that have totally disappeared by now.

As I have mentioned before, I sure wish I was on hand when Toyota was cleaning out their warehouses and tossing parts into the dumpsters. Would have felt like being permitted to treasure-hunt on the tailings of a huge diamond mine ! I once even offered a wholesale diamond merchant in L. A. to do their daily vacuuming for free and even take the vacuum cleaner home to give it a good "cleaning" !

The red one looks like the blue one in my 06/86 FJ60 project vehicle. The earlier FJ60s had at least one bolt, maybe two, across the front of the cover. Starting 04/86 the cover was changed in a couple of ways. One change deleted the front bolt(s) and added a small plate retainer (spot welded to the floor panel) that the cover slips under from behind, this secures the front of the cover. The plate's shown as Part Code 58754 in this diagram:

View attachment 1589489

On the red cover you can see the "shadow" of the small plate retainer along the front edge, just left of center.

The red one is from a 87 according to the member I bout.it from years ago. The boots are from FJ60 that was in a wrecking yard years ago. Did not pay attention to the year at the time. First plan was to use these boots on my 68 with a 75/76 transmission, transmission cover. These changed as I collected more parts until it where it's at today, out of control.

".....where it's at today, out of control." Glad we're not pointing fingers here !

".....where it's at today, out of control." Glad we're not pointing fingers here !

No worries, I can't keep track of what I have much less anyone else. My wife is now waking up from nightmares about me dying and being stuck will dealing with the mess. Which I understand. It's also part of the reason why a huge amount of my old cruisers/stuff has to go. Would help my mental health as well. If you knew what it took just to get a peak inside some of my Cruisers you would understand. At my age if my balance starts going I would be screwed.

My wife is now waking up from nightmares about me dying and being stuck will dealing with the mess.

that's funny, mine says something similar.
I'm also thinking hard about moving stuff that I've had for many, many years.

For the record clockwise from the upper left. 82 FJ40, 83 BJ42 with a five speed, 84 HJ47 and 87 FJ60. If you look at the two on the right, the upper white one the transfer boots is a littler further down than the black one below it.

Gotta love all the "Amens". Makes me feel like I'm in church, gentlemen !

Someone pointed out to me this picture for the wanted thread showed what looks like wear marks from a driveline on the crossmember.
20171208_091113.jpg

Could be caused by a few things including the longer five speed. The later crossmember has a deeper cradle where the driveline is. If installing a lift besides the later crossmember locating the L brackets a little lower if possible and as thick a insulator would help gain space between the crossmember and front driveline.

So has anyone seen other L brackets stamped with anything but R-FB020 & L-FB030 for the short/mid wheel base, R-FB530 & L-FB540 for the FJ45/BJ45 and R-H740 & L-H750 for the HJ47? I know they changed part numbers 10/82 but the set I have from a 3/83 BJ42 still have same numbers stamped in them as the ones for the earlier years. If they fit the frame five months after the switch why change them later? :hmm:

I have rub marks on the crossmember from the front driveshaft on my 60. When we reinstalled the driveshaft
my buddy pointed out I had installed the driveshaft backwards. On the front the slipjoint should be closest to
the t case as it allows more clearance from the crossmember. Of course, he told me after I had sectioned
a bit from the crossmember, but he could see the old marks on the driveshaft tube.

I have rub marks on the crossmember from the front driveshaft on my 60. When we reinstalled the driveshaft
my buddy pointed out I had installed the driveshaft backwards. On the front the slipjoint should be closest to
the t case as it allows more clearance from the crossmember. Of course, he told me after I had sectioned
a bit from the crossmember, but he could see the old marks on the driveshaft tube.

Five speed or four speed? What year? Best pictures I have of a 84 H41 from a HJ47. The front driveline has a Double Cardan which is next to the transmission. It also has a protective cage part of which is in the picture. Need to double check the crossmember but don't remember any marks. Now if I ever do go to a five speed it should make it interesting to lengthen the front driveline to keep the double Cardan and cage.

IMG_1945.JPG

IMG_1944.JPG

that cage looks very much like the ones on the early 60 series that had the double cardon joint assembly 81-84.
the 3 40's I remember taking apart were US spec, and non had a double cardon joint on them, where all the 60 series had them.
the 40 series were 1-81 and 2-82's

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom