H55F Transmission Support Brackets (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Crossmember is the same on all models. What changed is a couple of bends were add on the front edge in 83. That was on was on all models. The L brackets that bolt to the frame where different on the FJ45/HJ47 then all the other models, short and mid wheel base. I take some pictures. They will show how much different they are.

And yes, FJ45/HJ47 frames are longer and slightly wider at the tranny than 40/42- makes sense given the vehicle length as well

Frame is the same within the tranny cross member area as far as width and likely even the speed holes (frame lightening holes). The body mounts at the back are different after 8/80 but that's not relevant. That's the extent of my knowledge

I didn't know the rear body mounts changed again in 8/80. Thought 1/79 was the final change. I know about changes in the spring perch/shackle mounts and crossmember but body mount is new to me.

And yes, FJ45/HJ47 frames are longer and slightly wider at the tranny than 40/42- makes sense given the vehicle length as well

The L brackets I have from a 84 HJ47RV are actually shorter because frame is narrower in that area. Pulled the L brackets off the frame myself so I know what their from. Crossmember was still attached to the transmission which are not common here in the states. Wrecker wouldn't allow me to pull it but was pulled when I bought it.

narrower eh? Ok, I defer to your first hand knowledge.

Now you have me second guessing my statement about the body mounts at 8/80. I will check my information. I may be confused.

John could you please include pics of the part numbers on the cross-member brackets?.....This one (pic) is from a 10/1982 FJ.

View attachment 1587841

That number is on the L bracket? The unknown L brackets have been sand blasted and can see the part number. I'll clean the others up. Besides the HJ47 being shorter the angle where they bolt to the frame is different. Pictures will show how much.

Yes, once again I am spreading lies - I was thinking of the spring perch plates - not the body mounts. Two body mounts in the same place from 1/79 onwards - 4 mount previous to that.

hijack over!

Sorry don't mean to hijack just reading this got me curious. Is my 82 able to accept the H55 without obtaining different cross bracket?

Now back to your regular channel! Thanks

AFAIK you are in good shape for adding an H55. crossmember is the same, transfer case maybe an issue as I don't know if your's has the oiler provision. also the driveshaft lengths
stated above the taller H55, you may need the later 83+ trans hump cover as it is raised versus the earlier ones.

The two unknown L brackets
IMG_2783.JPG

Right side of the 82 FJ40 & 83 BJ42 R-FB020
IMG_2781.JPG

Left side of 82 FJ40 & 83 BJ42 L-FB030

IMG_2782.JPG

Right side of 84 HJ47 R-H740

IMG_2780.JPG

Left side of 84 HJ47 L-H750
IMG_2779.JPG

John could you please include pics of the part numbers on the cross-member brackets?.....This one (pic) is from a 10/1982 FJ.
The part number for the right hand side bracket is R-FB530.
View attachment 1587841

Interesting, these are the same as my unknown set but are shorter then the 82 FJ40 & 83 BJ42. Shaped like them just shorter. I'll snap some pictures comparing them.

What year did Toyota start using the transmission supports and brackets? My 5/80 does not have them and the frame does not have any holes for bolts. The inside dimension between the frame rails is 28.5". If I have to drill holes it would seem that any year that was that width would work?

well crap! I don't suppose you have one that would fit between my frame rails? Looks like I will have to find something from a late FJ40 or BJ42

I believe it was after 8/1980.

The fj45 cross-member is approximately 24-3/4" measured between the mount holes.

Need to bolt the L brackets to the crossmember and measure. The holes in the L brackets for the crossmember have a slight bit of movement so will pull apart as far as I can for fair comparison. The R-FB530 and L-FB540 were close to the HJ47 setup before I took it apart. The 82 FJ40 crossmember which is wider then the one I have like the one you posted and fits the 82 frame it came out of which makes me wonder why there are two different styles of L brackets for the FJ40 & BJ42

I thought all the cross-members were the same width?.....Isn't the variation in the brackets?

Beside the part numbers L-FB030 & R-FB020?.. Are the other part numbers known?

I don't know about any other part numbers other than R-FB020 & L-FB030, those stamped digits on the L brackets are not a complete ten digit Toyota part number and wouldn't have a clue how to research them.

Here is R-FB020, R-FB530 and R-H730 Tomorrow when it's light I will measure the distance between frame rail where the crossmember goes on the 82 FJ40. Wish I knew why R-FB530 & L-FB540 are shorter then the other L brackets I have from short wheel base. Searching part numbers I only find two different center crossmembers. All 4X series models up to 10/82 and all 4X series after that. I have both and they are the same same width.

IMG_2793.JPG
IMG_2794.JPG
IMG_2795.JPG

IMG_2791.JPG

Sorry don't mean to hijack just reading this got me curious. Is my 82 able to accept the H55 without obtaining different cross bracket?

Now back to your regular channel! Thanks
I installed one into my '82 (11/1981) stock rolling chassis without any issues or modifications to the tranny crossmember. Of course I had rebuild the TC with a later case and driveshafts will have to be altered. Much later down the line I'll find out about the hump and inspection cover, but the cross member and mount were perfect. Hope that helps.

I installed one into my '82 (11/1981) stock rolling chassis without any issues or modifications to the tranny crossmember. Of course I had rebuild the TC with a later case and driveshafts will have to be altered. Much later down the line I'll find out about the hump and inspection cover, but the cross member and mount were perfect. Hope that helps.

What might help is if you could look at the letters/numbers stamped into the L brackets. Guessing they will be R-FB020 and L-FB030. But if they are R-FB530 and L-FB540 the measurement between the frame rails in that location would really help. Checked the manufactured date on my 82 frame, 3/82. As best as I could measure it's right around 26 1/4" between the frame rails in that location.

when measuring the frame, it will be wider at the rear part of the mount versus the front. albeit minor difference, it is still a difference and all measurements should be specified, front or rear.

when measuring the frame, it will be wider at the rear part of the mount versus the front. albeit minor difference, it is still a difference and all measurements should be specified, front or rear.
Due to corrosion and the thick coat of paint I put on the L-brackets I can't really make out much. I can see and FB on the driver side but that's about it. The frame rails are 25 3/8" apart on the front side and 26 1/4" on the back side of the brackets.

IF there is meat to drill into the sides of the frame at the location where a specific set of angle brackets wind up positioning themselves once mounted to the cradle/crossmember, insulator mount, and the transmission, why not just drill new holes to mount the angle brackets(or weld them on) if receiving nuts can be fitted inside the sides of the frame?

Secondly, I believe the numbers stamped into the angle brackets can be converted into the Toyota part numbers for those pieces. I wrote those part numbers in the related thread elsewhere here. Example: "R-FB020" = 51433-60020 = 8/80 10/82 for the 40/42/43/46 series.

LITP has found the 2 variations of the long cradle/crossmembers to be the same length (which I find to be 20-15/16"/532mm).
There are 3 different insulator mounts that fit onto those cradles: different for the BJ4x, FJ4x, HJ4x. Apparently they all fit the cradle equally but have different thicknesses. So............the selection of which insulator mount chosen needs to be factored into the final position of the side angle brackets chosen to create the overall positioning of the transmission height. Along with the variations in the distance between the frame rails at the actual cradle mount location, this appears to be the reasoning behind the 6 slightly different sets of angle brackets designed by Toyota.

Along with the different tunnel inspection cover heights, different angle brackets, different insulator mounts, it seems that unless replacing a factory-installed five-speed with the same exact parts, adjustments need to be made when installing a five speed where there never was one originally. This is also complicated with the lack for most folks of the rare and hard-to-find 40 series top cover and the distance of the non-40 top cover to clear he inspection cover.

While on the surface the 4x series vehicles "look very similar," the differences start to add-up, and it seems a simple plug-and-play drop in installation doesn't exist for the five-speed conversion, and adjustments need to be made to fit each particular situation. Searching for the rare and unusual parts can kill the enthusiasm for a conversion, so it seems crafting the parts you have and can acquire to fit your own situation might be the best solution.

My thoughts only and not gospel. Value = 2 cents.

The support, brackets, and insulator mount are the missing pieces. I have a 40 series top, split tc, and the correct transmission tunnel cover. BUT those last pieces, you are right it can dampen the enthusiasm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom