H55F and Split Case in a 1976 FJ40.....Lots of Questions (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I agree, the axle mounted park brakes are faaaaaar better.

FJ60/62 rear axle housings are easy to find (if the width works for you), or you can find a late model FJ40 axle housing, it will bolt right to your springs, have the correct width and the better park brake setups at the rear drum.

I too run 6x axles F/R under my FJ40, I love the stance.

Yup. 7x series axles work really good as well, especially the rear FF's.

Yup. 7x series axles work really good as well, especially the rear FF's.

Assuming the 8/80+ short and mid wheel base would be the easiest to installed? 70 series just need to move the brackets for the springs. 60 series spring brackets and a little wider. Others have worked with the 80 series 93-97 to get the full floating axle, since those were imported and have the E-locker option.

Assuming the 8/80+ short and mid wheel base would be the easiest to installed? 70 series just need to move the brackets for the springs. 60 series spring brackets and a little wider. Others have worked with the 80 series 93-97 to get the full floating axle, since those were imported and have the E-locker option.

The 4x & 7x share near similar widths, hence why they are ideal. Plus finding a FF and locked 7x is about as easy as any (which none are super easy). 6x is wider and 8x is wider yet. It's all about the width you want and the work it takes to make the wider options fit, particularly in the front of a 40 with the narrower spring mounting.

The 4x & 7x share near similar widths, hence why they are ideal. Plus finding a FF and locked 7x is about as easy as any (which none are super easy). 6x is wider and 8x is wider yet. It's all about the width you want and the work it takes to make the wider options fit, particularly in the front of a 40 with the narrower spring mounting.
Yes, the front does require outboarding the springs. However, it is a fairly easy fab job if you have a welder. I have seen some hack jobs trying to squeeze the spring into the third member but it looks totally sketchy.

Yes, the front does require outboarding the springs. However, it is a fairly easy fab job if you have a welder. I have seen some hack jobs trying to squeeze the spring into the third member but it looks totally sketchy.

Agreed, we've done dozens of them over the years. My 40's been on 6x axles for 20 years now. But it's more than just outboarding springs, it's steering mods, etc. Far easier and DIY in a driveway with no special tools to use a 80+ 4x axle with the factory integrated park brake. Anything is an "easy" fab job if you have welder and the skills to use it :D

:lol:

No one has ever done a sketchy fab job on a 40 before.
Do you know where I can find the transfercase forward lever parts? I bought my h55 from Toyota, but they dont sell the forward lever parts...

thank you

Do you know where I can find the transfercase forward lever parts? I bought my h55 from Toyota, but they dont sell the forward lever parts...

thank you

Forward lever? Are you looking for the 4x specific H55F top cover?

Question on this. My splitcase on my h55 has square bolt pattern. Driveshaft and axles are from 74 fj40.
Does anyone sell a yoke I can swap on thr shaft?

or is output flange only option?

Curious, my 82 has parking brakes in rear drums, I think 🤔 ..... If I am right and they are in the rear drums, will this work for an H55 conversion as discussed here?

Yes

Question on this. My splitcase on my h55 has square bolt pattern. Driveshaft and axles are from 74 fj40.

If your 74 had a four speed the bolt pattern stayed the same until 8/84. If your split case is from 10/82-8/84 should already have the correct pattern. 8/80-9/82 transfer case would have the correct flange pattern but not the fifth gear oiler.

Curious, my 82 has parking brakes in rear drums, I think 🤔 ..... If I am right and they are in the rear drums, will this work for an H55 conversion as discussed here?

Absolutely, that really simplifies the conversion.

Flanged on the Tcase are the more cost effective solution but you could swap yokes from a 85+ with the 66x66 pattern. We offer both solutions @ Cruiser Outfitters. Are your current flanges round or rectangle (OD shape, not pattern)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom