GX460 Transmission fluid cooler (16 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I am told on that hose : "That hose is not discontinued but it is Back Ordered. No ETA."
Kinda like when there was a run on Crawl Control switches a while back and they ran out for a bit. Toyota/Lexus needs to do a better job of trolling the forums to forecast parts production based on what's trending in the enthusiast groups....

I have that extra not needed hose you could cut down... unless there is a different psi rating or something...

Thanks! Ill let you know, I put an order in on one we will see if I can get it.

I had a similar situation with my Tacoma. The radiator tank joints failed. Wanted to purchase a Toyota radiator, out of stock back ordered. Installed one made in India. When the Toyota one finally restocked I bought that and removed the India manufactured one.

Thanks to the detailed write ups on here and other forums I was able to get my transmission cooler installed yesterday. I used a Hayden 678 which fit perfectly, didn’t have to relocate the horns or anything. I haven’t measured my temps but I consider this preventative maintenance.

I was planning on using the factory metal oil cooler tube assembly to run the hoses to the cooler from the radiator but after some test fitting it fit pretty well without it. the biggest problem I had was attaching the return hose to the metal hard lines that run back to the transmission. Because the sway bar mount is in the way it’s almost impossible to access. I think that step alone took more time than anything else.

1602528169377.jpeg

1602527986917.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks to the detailed write ups on here and other forums I was able to get my transmission cooler installed yesterday. I used a Hayden 678 which fit perfectly, didn’t have to relocate the horns or anything. I haven’t measured my temps but I consider this preventative maintenance.

I was planning on using the factory metal oil cooler tube assembly to run the hoses to the cooler from the radiator but after some test fitting it fit pretty well without it. the biggest problem I had was attaching the return hose to the metal hard lines that run back to the transmission. Because the sway bar mount is in the way it’s almost impossible to access. I think that step alone took more time than anything else.

View attachment 2463496

View attachment 2463495

View attachment 2463496

View attachment 2463495
ducktapeguy how did you mount the Hayden cooler. It looks like you simply screwed to the brackets at the bottom right side and middle left side. Did you mount it in other places. looking at getting the Hayden cooler and getting it mounted is my biggest question. Thanks

ducktapeguy how did you mount the Hayden cooler. It looks like you simply screwed to the brackets at the bottom right side and middle left side. Did you mount it in other places. looking at getting the Hayden cooler and getting it mounted is my biggest question. Thanks
I don’t remember exactly how I did it but I do remember using an off the shelf L-bracket on the top right side, just drilled a couple extra holes. I think I may have screwed directly into the existing brackets for the rest. I didn’t have to do a whole lot, everything lined up fairly easily and I didn’t have to move any other components

Even though this is a 120 series (GX470) and LX570 tranny cooler install, the basic principles can be applied to the GX460. BTW, the stock GX460 tranny cooler look very similar (maybe exactly the same except for the mounting brackets) to the GX470 tranny cooler. The stock LX570 tranny cooler is adequate but in daily driving you will still hit 205. Same with the stock GX470 tranny cooler. My post install ATF temps have been hovering around 160-180 during daily driving and very rarely does it go into the 200. I would recommend upsizing to an aftermarket tranny cooler instead of buying the stock GX460 tranny cooler if you want to keep your ATF temp down.

-------- Reposted from the 200 series section. --------

I got some free time this week so I worked on both my 200 series and the 120 series. I haven't seen much info on aftermarket transmission cooler install so here is my recent install/swap this week.

The reason I have oversized transmission cooler is because I tow in the mountains and my ATF temp reached 240 and 260 uphill even when I am not in overdrive. After I installed the bigger transmission cooler, my ATF temp dropped to a manageable 200 to 220 uphill. This is for both the GX and LX.

I installed a Tru-Cool Max LPD47391 transmission cooler in my GX470 about 4 years ago and that is way oversized for that vehicle. I had to mount it near the bottom which meant I was not able to install a winch. What better time to dust off some old project than during COVID. I eyeballed and then measured the LX570's stock transmission cooler and determined that it is about twice the size of the GX470's stock transmission cooler. Plus it would fit in the drive side of the GX470's grill where the original tranny cooler was. Time for a switch-a-roo. I decided to swap the Tru-Cool to the LX570 and install the stock LC200 transmission cooler to the GX470.

There is a lot of cutting and custom bracket/mounting fabrication. I used aluminum plates that I had left over from other projects because it is easy to bend and cut. Additionally, it is lightweight and rust proof.

I also had to purchase some transmission cooler lines to run the piping.

In hindsight, the Tru-Cool Max LPD47391 is too wide and I would be fine using a Tru-Cool LPD 4589 or 4590 which have smaller dimensions. It would have fit the passenger side of the LX570's grill without having to relocate the electric fan. But I made it work with what I have.
--------------------------------
Notes for the LX570:

There is plenty of space between the ac condenser and the front panel to fit the Tru-Cool. However, I have to remove all the stock transmission cooler ducts and relocate the electric fan. The custom aluminum brackets and mounts are created to mount the Tru-Cool tranny cooler, cooler lines (originally attached to the stock tranny cooler plastic duct), and the electric fan.

In order to mount the electric fan, I had to carefully bend the ac condenser lines a bit forward and to the driver side to create some clearance for the electric fan which is relocated about 2 inches forward. I also fabricated a base plate with two cutouts for the legs of the electric fan to sit in.

By mounting the tranny cooler high up, this provide me some space to mount a winch in the future.

--------------------------------
For the GX470:

There is not a lot of space between the ac condenser and the front panel. This is a common theme on the GX470, very tight working spaces... The LX570 tranny cooler covers up the entire driver side grill where the original GX470 tranny cooler and the horns are. That meant relocating the horns. Unfortunately I could not find a way to mount the electric fan in front of the tranny cooler like I did on the LX570 due to the lack of grill space.

I had to cut off most of the brackets on the stock LX570 tranny cooler to fit in the tight space on the GX470. Then I had to create some custom aluminum brackets and mounts to hold the LX570 tranny cooler.

This also provide me with space to install a winch in the future.
The stock GX470 tranny cooler is currently sitting in a box and I may put it in line with the LX570 tranny cooler if I hit high ATF temp while towing.

---------------------------------
Below are some photos of the tranny cooler switch-a-roo.

20210726_155323a.jpg

20210726_194744.jpg

20210728_135444.jpg

20210727_145851.jpg

20210728_174151.jpg

I see some of you going through a lot of trouble (albeit, good trouble) of installing and/or upgrading transmission coolers.
I have a pretty heavy overland rig with all the extras (read: steal bumpers, sliders, RTT, recovery gear, kitchen sink...) but I don't ever tow anything.
Is there really any need for me to bother with upgrading or adding another trans cooler?
Although, my wife and I have been playing with the idea of an adventure trailer, but something very light, sub-1500 lbs (loaded). The trailer would off-load some of the gear on my rig like my RTT, water jerry cans and other camping gear we travel with in the vehicle, so the only added weight would be the base trailer and that would be only a few hundred pounds.
Also, I'm pretty easy on the throttle, so I'm not trying to long grades at 80 or 90 MPH or anything like that.
Any thoughts or experiences?

Reactions: r2m
I would be open to a 3rd party cooler today….frankly there wasn’t any discussion or acknowledgement 3-4 years ago about the stock AT cooling on the 460. Many assumed or were told by dealer it was the same stock setup as a 470 with towing package and not realizing it was just the cooler built into the radiator.

Last edited:
IMO another thing to track is AT lockup. I’ve added a gauge in OBD Link so I can watch for that as that helps keeps the temps down and not always clear if you are in lockup or not.

One could always look into an upgraded AT valve body with an option for manual lockup control as well.

Dan has one on his 470 IIRC.

I want to thank Acrad and everybody who contributed to this thread. Parts ordered!

Another big thank you to Acrad for figuring this out and sharing the parts list. I installed the AT cooler the other day and it went smoothly as can be.

It's a really tidy install. It's clear that Toyota accommodated the cooler and hose routing in the architecture of the GX from the get-go. In other words, it's not some clunky afterthought that they cobbled together and jammed into place.

I may upgrade my stock 460 cooler after I regear in October. Like Acrad stated torque converter lock up is important and without regearing I'll never lock up the convert at highway speeds. Even with the stock cooler, heavy laden vehicle, no trailer I still see temps in the 230-238 range on really hot days or mountain passes.

Do you guys have any thoughts about using an aftermarket (say, 20,000 BTU) AT cooler that bypasses the internal radiator cooler? I wonder if that's enough to keep the AT cooler than stock. There's really very little info out there on BTU vs temps for a bypass setup.

I would imagine so, since the stock set up would have a min. temp that is the same as the temperature of coolant in the radiator (150F+), versus air-cooling at ambient intake temperatures.

I just have very little interest in risking a strawberry milk-shake situation.

...I could also just go ahead and try this, and report back with findings.

Last edited:
tingc222: I'd probably look into some thermostatic switch to restrict flow for really low temperatures in winter if you completely bypass radiator.

I'm not sure if below some temp... AT is programmed to believe engine is still in warm up.

tingc222: I'd probably look into some thermostatic switch to restrict flow for really low temperatures in winter if you completely bypass radiator.

I'm not sure if below some temp... AT is programmed to believe engine is still in warm up.
Doesn't the AT thermostat/oil heater have a built in switch to do that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom