GX rear air to coil conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am converting the rear Air to coil I know I need to install perch "PUCK shape "in the bottom to hold the coil in place and use upper cone "isolator" but I am not sure if I need another perch under the cone on top .I do not want to take the suspension a part and realize I need to order them .thank you

Hey there! Not exactly sure which parts you have or don't have to give you best answer. But if you could take a picture of the parts you have or list items bought I can show you wat you need to do

I'm a little confuse when you said "another perch under the cone on top". On the bottom, it should be puck bolted face down. Then the rubber ring goes on the puck to hold the spring. On the top, there's a cone isolator(optional but highly recommended to further secure the springs).

I think you answered my question so the only thing holding the coil on top in place is the Isolator "up side down ice cream cone".
thank you

Don't you mean right side up ice cream cone? Lol...but yea, the isolator help keeps the spring from moving and act as intermediary.

I thought about doing the same thing but didn't want to take the chance so I don't have a definitive answer but you'll be cutting it REAL close. Even with a 265/70/17 and stock wheels, the sidewall was already extremely close to the UCA, however no rubbing on full lock. But with 285's I feel like you'll either hit the UCA or run the lower on full lock or BOTH. Spacers could be a cheap fix. Hope that helps!

The original tires are 265/65R17 which convert to a 30.6" x 10.4" tire.

265/70R17s are 31.6" by 10.4" tires. Essentially, one inch taller so the chances of rubbing are small.

285/70R17s are 32.7" by 11.2" tires. These tires are 2" taller than the original tires and .8" wider, so you are pretty much guaranteed that you will rub with the stock OEM rims.

The original tires are 265/65R17 which convert to a 30.6" x 10.4" tire.

265/70R17s are 31.6" by 10.4" tires. Essentially, one inch taller so the chances of rubbing are small.

285/70R17s are 32.7" by 11.2" tires. These tires are 2" taller than the original tires and .8" wider, so you are pretty much guaranteed that you will rub with the stock OEM rims.

The loss in clearance is the radius increase, so only half of the tire height increase.

Last edited:
It appears to me that the oem rims, wheel wells and liners, UCAs, body mounts, etc. were designed to hold a maximum tire of 32”x10.4”R17

Anything wider or taller will increase the chances that something will rub and will require trimming, chopping, decreasing wheel offsets, etc.

Last edited:
I am not sure but as I recall Some where I saw that Lexus GX 470 comes with longer coil in driver rear so is that mean if I would like to up grade the suspension with after market parts I need to lift the driver side coil more .is that true?

First off, the gx470 doesn’t have coils/springs in the rear. Gx470 comes stock from the factory with rear shocks and rear air bags.

Everyone who converts the rear airbags to springs appears to be using the same spring length on both rear locations.

On my 96 FZJ80, the passenger side springs were different length than the driver side springs.

I don’t think that’s the case on the converted to springs GX470s.

All the pictures that I’ve seen of new rear springs for the GX470 look to be the exact same length for the pair being sold.

Thank you HomersC for correction yes GX has air bags May be what I saw was about 4th generation 4Runner which the frame is same as GX .

I believe MetalTech is the only shop that sells rear springs (long travel) for the 120 platform that are left/right specific.

First off, the gx470 doesn’t have coils/springs in the rear. Gx470 comes stock from the factory with rear shocks and rear air bags.

Everyone who converts the rear airbags to springs appears to be using the same spring length on both rear locations.

On my 96 FZJ80, the passenger side springs were different length than the driver side springs.

I don’t think that’s the case on the converted to springs GX470s.

All the pictures that I’ve seen of new rear springs for the GX470 look to be the exact same length for the pair being sold.

Just order a coil conversion kit from MetalTech or SSO. They have everything you need to convert.

MT is the only one with L and R LT springs.

I have the MT coil conversion kit, but I thought it’s just to be able to mount the springs in lieu of the air bags. The kit doesn’t address any coil length differences.

I read the description of the MT LT dual rate springs and they are the same length. They are specific L and R springs because there’s a 3% spring compression difference. MT designed it this way for North American left hand drive 120 Prados to compensate for a driver side lean.

I haven’t seen the driver side lean myself, but thats what I understand.

I have run MT springs. They are the same height. The spring rate is different as you have said. I have run the heavy and medium LT springs, as well as Icon Overland, Iron Man heavies, and now Dobinson heavy LT springs. DS lean is a real thing. SSO even has spacers in their coil conversion to account for the lean or for more lift.

Good to know about the ds lean with springs. So, no lean with air bags? Air bags can compensate for lean? Just wondering...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom