GVWR upgrade for 200 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That doesnt make a lick of sense from an engineering stand point, yet i completely believe you.
For all the Australian nanny regulations and hassles about GVWR upgrade certification, I hate to say it but it seems like a money hungry joke to me. No third party engineer has performed enough work using the manufacturer's design files and existing safety factors and specifications to determine what load increase can be safely added. The other approach, which they don't do is to assume that the vehicle, out the showroom floor, is at the design limits and that to maintain all safety factors any weight increase much be handled by modification; ie brake increase, wheel bearings, frame strength increase, cooling systems, axle & propellor shaft torques, suspension arms, mount points and springs. But no, they are willing to accept the modification of springs and shocks based on payment for a standardized engineering "report"and payment of fees to the government. Personally my biggest concern about a higher load capacity is brakes (they are already marginal), cooling (or at least watching temps)(dependent of climates and altitude of intended use), wheel bearing maintenace and suspension set.

For all the Australian nanny regulations and hassles about GVWR upgrade certification, I hate to say it but it seems like a money hungry joke to me. No third party engineer has performed enough work using the manufacturer's design files and existing safety factors and specifications to determine what load increase can be safely added. The other approach, which they don't do is to assume that the vehicle, out the showroom floor, is at the design limits and that to maintain all safety factors any weight increase much be handled by modification; ie brake increase, wheel bearings, frame strength increase, cooling systems, axle & propellor shaft torques, suspension arms, mount points and springs. But no, they are willing to accept the modification of springs and shocks based on payment for a standardized engineering "report"and payment of fees to the government. Personally my biggest concern about a higher load capacity is brakes (they are already marginal), cooling (or at least watching temps)(dependent of climates and altitude of intended use), wheel bearing maintenace and suspension set.

Agree 100%

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom