GVWR upgrade for 200 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have read some Australian forums where people have upgraded their GVWR on their 200 series Landcruisers. I haven’t been able to find any info other than it being mentioned in a forum. Any suggestions?

Are you in Australia? Many companies offer them. 4000kg Formula 4x4 GVM Upgrade to suit Land Cruiser 200 Series 2007-2021 - https://fulcrumsuspensions.com.au/4000kg-formula-4x4-gvm-upgrade-to-suit-land-cruiser-200-series-2007-2021-9972-crus-200gvm-gxl-173494.html

I’ve never seen them offered in the US. Maybe because our road-worthiness standards are less stringent than AU.
I am in the US. I have heavy duty 1300lbs constant weight coils in the rear and am adding air bags currently. I have added an ARB bumper with a winch. I need an upgrade for the front suspension as I am getting a good deal of brake dive.

Gvm upgrade was only Available in Australia pre new car rego until recently .Now with changes to Vehicle modifying Rules ( Vsb14 ) It can be done post rego and have an engineering compliance tag fitted. Allows 35 inch tyres and 3 inch lift for 200 series With 400kg plus gvm increase.
Otherwise without Engineering Certification 50mm maximum total lift to roofline in Western Australia( Max 50mm larger tyre with 25mm lift for example , Track increase max 25mm so 9 inch rim must be +47 offset) Also can't exceed max factory payload.Unroad worthy and Insurance wont pay if exceeded.
Saving my pennies For King Shock 3 inch and 35 tyres.

Screenshot_20230127_183827_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
can't exceed max factory payload. Unroad worthy and Insurance wont pay

That's the biggest issue. With airbags and trailer brakes, you can safely tow 10,000+ lbs, but get in an accident (that's not even your fault) and a savy attorney will find out that you exceeded your factory tow rating. Basically you have to exceed that rating at your own risk.

This idea that insurance will deny any claim if you’re over GVWR or GCWR is not based in reality. Remember the Ram 3500 with the giant truck camper hanging off the back of his truck that recently cracked his frame in half? I think a lot of truck and RV internet forum members will be surprised when they find out that his insurance policy is covering the $17k repair bill even though his truck was grossly overloaded and the load was improperly distributed.

The only thing insurance can deny a claim for (at least in the US) is fraud; that is, intentionally causing an accident or intentionally destroying the insured property in order to collect insurance money.

Knowing you're over payload is not committing insurance fraud.

I am in the US. I have heavy duty 1300lbs constant weight coils in the rear and am adding air bags currently. I have added an ARB bumper with a winch. I need an upgrade for the front suspension as I am getting a good deal of brake dive.
1300lb springs and air bags? 😳 what are you towing?

There is no legal GVWR in the states FYI. You can definitely spring for more payload etc but doesn’t change the sticker on your door.
Yea I know it won’t change the the technical payload. I just want to
1300lb springs and air bags? 😳 what are you towing?
I have just added a ton of weight. I have ARB front and rear bumpers. A 40 gallon auxiliary tank in the spare tire area. Full-size off-road 34 inch spare tire on the tire gate. I deleted the third row and added slide out drawers. And to top it off a roof rack! Lol plus add all my recovery gear and stuff I take when I travel.

Yea I know it won’t change the the technical payload. I just want to

I have just added a ton of weight. I have ARB front and rear bumpers. A 40 gallon auxiliary tank in the spare tire area. Full-size off-road 34 inch spare tire on the tire gate. I deleted the third row and added slide out drawers. And to top it off a roof rack! Lol plus add all my recovery gear and stuff I take when I travel.
I’m not that far behind you weight wise and have just moved up to 400 lb springs. Have you weighted your truck? That’s on my todo list.

This idea that insurance will deny any claim if you’re over GVWR or GCWR is not based in reality. Remember the Ram 3500 with the giant truck camper hanging off the back of his truck that recently cracked his frame in half? I think a lot of truck and RV internet forum members will be surprised when they find out that his insurance policy is covering the $17k repair bill even though his truck was grossly overloaded and the load was improperly distributed.

The only thing insurance can deny a claim for (at least in the US) is fraud; that is, intentionally causing an accident or intentionally destroying the insured property in order to collect insurance money.

A Ram's frame will crack with two watermelons and a case of beer. Everyone knows that!

I’m not that far behind you weight wise and have just moved up to 400 lb springs. Have you weighted your truck? That’s on my todo list.
I have not. I need to just go to a trucker scale and do it. I need the bags because every time I accelerate from a stop more than a granny crawl the rear end sits down. I also get the side to side wagging a good bit when on certain curvy roads.

I have not. I need to just go to a trucker scale and do it. I need the bags because every time I accelerate from a stop more than a granny crawl the rear end sits down. I also get the side to side wagging a good bit when on certain curvy roads.
IMO, super stiff springs aren’t the solution to butt wiggle. Panhard bracket is the solution there if your lift is more than an inch an a half or so. Sure you can minimize sagitta by minimizing the axles vertical movement but at the expense of ride comfort. I also drive like a granny.

I’m no spring rate expert for sure but know many here have trucks built like yours with much less spring rate.

Ultimately ride comfort and dynamic handling feel is super subjective and there’s no right answer except what makes you happy.

That was a non injury claim. Add injuries and it's a different story. Its not insurance you need to worry about, it's someone else's personal injury attorney.

With that said, if you are towing 20% over the factory tow rating..probably not going to be an issue. But if you are exceeding it by 50%+, then you are opening yourself up for liability. Get a HD truck at that point.

Last edited:
AVvXsEgH_ObNE7Mi_1VEHO7ipSd6P593tM0bYWLDfLV6OzybN2KXaVGUUQEfN-CWXHdB1zbjZtf42_mHZloCs4u7xWd9gZPA_aFcszc2mm0DMZIs9YiMDcTo4YtAwCBdvyIWm0c7VO9Da-UX5knpuRkQpoY27e1SokuDA9OrXyfApGadruWZ6-yrWDMbY0kW=s1280

I did had to get an upgrade for my Landcruiser 200 at my front axle, because of frontbar & winch & Mounting, which brings it 35kg over the legal limit.

I did need official tuv/mfk breake tests and was dificult and expensice to legalize that setup - but did work. This way the car too get an upgrade from 3.3to to 3.5to.

I did had the official AHC Upgrade to 5.1to from the armored J20 - but in switzerland this wasnt helpful.

As long jour verhicle is not Br7 armored, there is no chance to upgrades to 4.x to in europe. This is available just in australia (the dont had AHC suspension there).

The axeles are the same, too at the armored vehicles with 5.1to, but hard to legalize with 5.1to...

trippin

That was a non injury claim. Add injuries and it's a different story. Its not insurance you need to worry about, it's someone else's personal injury attorney.

With that said, if you are towing 20% over the factory tow rating..probably not going to be an issue. But if you are exceeding it by 50%+, then you are opening yourself up for liability. Get a HD truck at that point.
Yeah, I guess that anyone can sue anyone for anything. I’m not advocating for everyone to do whatever they want. Just want to inject some reality into this internet myth that driving over the door jamb numbers gets you heavy fines or an insurance denial if you happen to get into an accident.

What law exactly is broken by being overweight? Is there some kind of different level of negligence that applies to being overweight vs being distracted or falling asleep or simply just getting into an accident? It would be just as easy to argue that the driver knew he was extremely tired and drove anyway, or he knew that looking at his phone puts himself and everyone else on the road around him at higher risk but he did it anyway…what makes being over GVWR especially negligent?

The way I understand it, the door jamb numbers on a personal vehicle with a GCWR under 26k lbs are not subject to the same DOT standards and CDL requirements as those above.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom