Guide: 1HZ - GTurbo + PDI intercooler + 3" exhaust (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Did you have the dimensions of the PDI intercooler by any chances?

From the PDI link posted earlier:

"Our first released PDI Landcruiser HDJ79 Front Mount intercooler kit had a 600x240x65mm core and now we have managed to fit a 76mm thick core behind the factory grill (with a bit of slimming to the plastic), which for many who have considered the custom install to be impossible. The pipework is also 2 1/2” stainless steel for improved flow and durability. Note stock levels of the 76mm core have been depleted and we have 65mm cores"

Roughly 24"x10"x3" (if its the 76mm)

Curious to know before and after fuel economy.
I wish I did. I do not have that data for two reasons:
A. I didn't take mileage notes beforehand.
B. I am now stomping on the accel every chance I can get, which has obliterated my fuel economy.

Sorry. Under similar driving conditions, it would certainly be better mileage due to the increased air density.

From the PDI link posted earlier:

"Our first released PDI Landcruiser HDJ79 Front Mount intercooler kit had a 600x240x65mm core and now we have managed to fit a 76mm thick core behind the factory grill (with a bit of slimming to the plastic), which for many who have considered the custom install to be impossible. The pipework is also 2 1/2” stainless steel for improved flow and durability. Note stock levels of the 76mm core have been depleted and we have 65mm cores"

Roughly 24"x10"x3" (if its the 76mm)

I am thinking of having one custom-made for my HZJ78 maybe a little smaller... Sorry I did not see the dimension in the first post!

No apologies necessary, I happen to be digging around on their site at the same time.

nice write up thanks for taking the time to share
any reports on how everything has been working / performing

nice write up thanks for taking the time to share
any reports on how everything has been working / performing
I appreciate your kind words. I hope it helps you out. The PDI install was a learning curve that could have saved me a week or so with a write up like this.

Regarding performance, I don't have any dyno numbers; however, the vehicle performs WAY better. It is truly a pleasure to drive now. From what I've heard across various forums, it's a 30-50% increase in power. Based on my experience, I would easily agree with that.

Very nice write up, wish I had this when I was doing the install on my 77. I experienced all the same issues, I was PDI's guinea pig for a 77 install. I provided them a bunch of feedback and they claimed they would modify the kit to suit a 77, guess that never materialized.

Now if you really want to get the full potential out of the PDI I/C, put an FT engine around it.

Look into a less restrictive airbox, it is your limiting component now. Rig up a vacuum gauge on the turbo inlet, mine was pulling vacuum at full boost, upgrading the airbox made a huge difference.

Very nice write up, wish I had this when I was doing the install on my 77. I experienced all the same issues, I was PDI's guinea pig for a 77 install. I provided them a bunch of feedback and they claimed they would modify the kit to suit a 77, guess that never materialized.

Now if you really want to get the full potential out of the PDI I/C, put an FT engine around it.

Look into a less restrictive airbox, it is your limiting component now. Rig up a vacuum gauge on the turbo inlet, mine was pulling vacuum at full boost, upgrading the airbox made a huge difference.
The guys at PDI were great to work with. Thank you for any feedback you gave them. My install went perfectly in terms of the PDI design. It was all the other stuff that broke in the process, through no fault of PDI.

That is really interesting. I never thought about the airbox being the choke point. Which box did you end up with? I'm going to order one.

When I was doing it, there were not many options, torfab had one, and this place: Stainless Air Boxes - https://moonlight4wd.com.au/collections/stainless-air-boxes

They were very proud of them and wanted a hefty price, either way some kind of modifications would have been necessary to make it work. So I ended up doing a custom jobber using an airbox from a chevy truck.

IMG_1968.jpg

Torfab (@NookShneer) has a high flow box on their site

I don't know if it fits or if they have brackets for the 70 series, but might be worth looking into.

@Loober @svsisu those look great. I also found one by PDI, where I bought the intercooler.

Reaching out to all those sources today (tomorrow Australian time).

@Loober @svsisu those look great. I also found one by PDI, where I bought the intercooler.

I had seen the PDI version also- looks good. I'll be very interested in what you find out. I have a LHD 24v truck so there is a battery in that general area. I guess the deciding factor for me would be if any of the above air boxes fit in the same real-estate as the stock air box and do not interfere with the battery.

Torfab (@NookShneer) has a high flow box on their site

I don't know if it fits or if they have brackets for the 70 series, but might be worth looking into.

We don't have a set of brackets due to the variations in 70 series and different market specs. All the installs we have done at the shop have been custom one off brackets. But the airbox has been installed into other 70 series in the past. I'll see if I can find any photos of prior installs.

Happy to help with providing measurements of the Diesel airbox if that would help. We can also provide a set of 80 or 60 series brackets with the order and they may be able to be bent or modified to work.

-Dave

If you have or plan to install a snorkel, it actually makes it easier to make one of these work. The stock inlet routing(as you know) uses a bunch of fittings to route behind the fender to the front, which is where a lot of the restriction is happening. With a snorkel its a direct shot into the air box, with a lot less elbows. I have the run of the mill plastic safari, thinking about changing it out to the stainless steel pipe that the aussies run.

It's Australia Day here today. Don't expect a reply until Monday (upside down time) at best

The 1HZ injection pump only came with one quick adjustment - the fuel screw. This screw increases or decreases the fuel across the board (i.e. at idle, at WOT, off boost, and on boost, etc.). This single screw does not offer enough adjustment when a turbocharger is added.

View attachment 3161915

The solution is to add a device called a Boost Compensator. This allows the fuel to ramp up or ramp down as boost changes. This article explains this much better than I can.

' Basic HOW TO - Mechanical Diesel Engine Tuning Guide - https://www.tillix.com.au/mechanical-diesel-engine-tuning

Toyota made several different Boost Compensators, and all fit. Here is a thread discussing the various Boost Compensator options.

' HZ/HD Boost compensator question/confusion - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/hz-hd-boost-compensator-question-confusion.1128520/

By the time I started this project, only one compensator was still readily available (22540-17260). I also grabbed a new gasket (22774-54270)

View attachment 3161942

I also ordered the Trundles Automotive taller cap, pin, and spring. Here is a comparison of all.

View attachment 3161966

View attachment 3161961

View attachment 3161972

The support from Trundles Automotive in New Zealand was absolutely outstanding. They answered questions via email quickly and concisely.

With that said, I do believe the Trundles setup to be overkill on this 1HZ engine. It requires removing the star wheel and adjusting via different springs. Also, the threaded rod must be cut down, which I did. If I had to do it all over again, I would stick with the stock setup. The Trundles system is more geared toward HD engines making big power.

View attachment 3161985

View attachment 3162023

Again, all of this is unnecessary on the 1HZ engine. Keep the original cap and star wheel setup and save the Trundles system for the big boys running big power.

The spring tension must be adjusted to match the max boost, in this case 15psi. There are two methods to do this. First, buy a MityVac MV8510.

View attachment 3162001

METHOD 1 (from the top) - this is the only option if the boost compensator is already installed on the pump. This video explains it pretty clearly.

METHOD 2 (from the bottom) - if the Boost Compensator is off, this method is far easier. Watch the video above and then apply the principle from the bottom. No paint pen required.

View attachment 3162002

Once the spring tension had been properly calibrated, I installed it on the truck and modified the banjo fitting following this thread.

' Builds - 1985 BJ70 Story and Modifications - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/1985-bj70-story-and-modifications.608045/post-11016865

View attachment 3162007

thanks for sharing the details!!!

Grrrrrr I totally missed ordering the VE springs when I ordered from Trundles i plan to be running anywhere between 18-25psi of boost I'm wondering if i really need the 2.6mm spring or if I'm just fine with the factory spring?

Last edited:
thanks for sharing the details!!!

Grrrrrr I totally missed ordering the VE springs when I ordered from Trundles i plan to be running anywhere between 18-25psi of boost I'm wondering if i really need the 2.6mm spring or if I'm just fine with the factory spring?
According to Gturbo, you don’t need it. They have a tuning guide all for the stock compensator for their turbos

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom