Greenville, SC FJ40 Engine Swap - Need Help Finding a Mechanic (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

More pics

D594E430-53D3-4A38-A1F0-30DA1D7DC105.jpeg

BA84EAE0-FEBB-444F-BAB8-3169F91217EA.jpeg

9A61369D-0E82-467F-ACAE-FC8349B1F07B.jpeg

417A4254-E74B-4A3D-BCC2-80560225BAE6.jpeg

58090D72-C5AD-4D39-8D27-F0933200EEF5.jpeg

There’s two harnesses on this thing. One on the drivers side and one on the glove box on the passenger side.

3F711A23-7A0D-4884-BE2E-3B8C23B1FA7A.jpeg

8A924C70-7D88-4609-98D0-2CCA6FDC9DA4.jpeg

51B39C9B-13B0-4E76-8B11-85E4E852E3CD.jpeg

D8684518-A218-4AF0-80F9-FE222023B6AE.jpeg

48B2F681-AC4C-408D-AAC0-EF22F131353F.jpeg

As mentioned, get the wiring sorted out to prevent potential fire. The rear axle needs some safety fixes that aren't hard to correct. A mini truck rear is not a bad thing and it works with the Dana tcase. Swapping to a SBC and SM465 with the Dana would be pretty straightforward and a dependable set up.

As mentioned, get the wiring sorted out to prevent potential fire. The rear axle needs some safety fixes that aren't hard to correct. A mini truck rear is not a bad thing and it works with the Dana tcase. Swapping to a SBC and SM465 with the Dana would be pretty straightforward and a dependable set up.
Does it matter if the SM465 is 2wd or 4wd? It looks like AA has an adapter for most splines.

Are you planning to keep the dana 20 case with a 465 and keeping a centered rearend? If you want to keep a dana case and centered rearend there are really 2 manufacturers to consider AA and Novak. I've done the conversion w/ a 420/ dana 20 t/case and a centered rearend. The main thing you have to keep an eye on is the drive shaft angle. The 40s wheel base is only 90". So the length of the drive line, tranny & t/case, is critical, along with engine placement. The centered t/case output is much higher than an offset t/case output. Looking at your pics, the po did some things to help out the driveshaft angle and adapting the centered driveline. 1st he rotated the pinion up and has it pointing at the t/case output. When setup like this a double cardon joint has to be used, which he did. It's the dual ujoint yoke at the t/case. 2nd, looking at the rear spring plates, I can tell he moved the rearend back a couple of inches. If you look at the plate the stk center pin hole is not being used, and he drilled a new hole in the plate where the nut and stud poke thru. This helps with the drive shaft angle. Novak and AA offer a plate design adapters which is short, but the main shaft in the tranny has to be replaced. I think those kits state that it doesn't matter if the trannys are 2wd or 4wd. Do you ever plan on adding a suspension lift to your 40? This would also effect the driveshaft angles too.

Last edited:
Getting back to your pics. The box mounted to your side of the glove box is a axillary fuse box. It looks like he added 3 new curcuits. Do you have extra electronics, such as lights, radios, etc. The wiring needs to be sorted out. You should figure out what they go to. Also, I think he may have struggled marrying the jeep charging and starting systems to the 40s wiring. The bracket on the frame where the lower rad hose and rag is, is the original motor mount for the stk 6cldr, and should be removed. Even if you go to 350.

Thanks for the advice. Hopefully Trollhole can come by and give some advice too. I hate that it is just sitting in the garage.

Are you planning to keep the dana 20 case with a 465 and keeping a centered rearend? If you want to keep a dana case and centered rearend there are really 2 manufacturers to consider AA and Novak. I've done the conversion w/ a 420/ dana 20 t/case and a centered rearend. The main thing you have to keep an eye on is the drive shaft angle. The 40s wheel base is only 90". So the length of the drive line, tranny & t/case, is critical, along with engine placement. The centered t/case output is much higher than an offset t/case output. Looking at your pics, the po did some things to help out the driveshaft angle and adapting the centered driveline. 1st he rotated the pinion up and has it pointing at the t/case output. When setup like this a double cardon joint has to be used, which he did. It's the dual ujoint yoke at the t/case. 2nd, looking at the rear spring plates, I can tell he moved the rearend back a couple of inches. If you look at the plate the stk center pin hole is not being used, and he drilled a new hole in the plate where the nut and stud poke thru. This helps with the drive shaft angle. Novak and AA offer a plate design adapters which is short, but the main shaft in the tranny has to be replaced. I think those kits state that it doesn't matter if the trannys are 2wd or 4wd. Do you ever plan on adding a suspension lift to your 40? This would also effect the driveshaft angles too.
I doubt I would lift it with the current drivetrain. If I got the Chevy in there with an FJ rear axle I might would. I’ve got a lead on a 4 speed FJ transmission/transfer case and an FJ rear end. I just need to get the current setup operational for now.
New problem is from when I went to drop the skid plate and look at the transmission/transfer case, the transmission dropped because that was the frickin crossmember. Now I have a broken bolt and a stripped out place for the other bolt on the passenger side. Jack stands are holding it up for now.

Well, I have now learned that a skid plate can be a transmission crossmember. Luckily my brother came over and helped me (he did all the work) get the skid plate back on. Now I can get back on the starter and the bogging down issue.

It looks like the wire we used on the HEI distributor is not 12 gauge. It’s smaller. I traced it back to what I think is Toyota black and yellow wire going into the taped up cluster that goes through the firewall. I’ve read I have to have that 12 gauge go directly to the distributor. Then I have to figure out what’s up with the solenoid. I think I’m missing a wire?

Getting back to my original question in this tread, but from a different angle now, can anybody recommend a good Jeep mechanic here in the upstate of SC? I’m not gonna do the engine swap now. I just want to get my current setup running good again. It’s been sitting in my garage since June. I’ve git to get it running good again. Any recommendations on good Jeep mechanics will be appreciated. I can’t do the work myself. Thanks!

I have owned a Wagoneer that is my Jeep experience. Those wire nuts on the wiring would drive me nuts. You need spark and fuel and compression to run. Let's go back to the basics. You have it turning over ? You have the fuel system so that it is not pouring fuel into the engine? You have spark ? Do you own a multimeter/test light ? You need to buy a decent crimper and terminals and fix some of the wiring. The Jeep engine will do fine off road. You don't need a Jeep mechanic as much as you need the wiring sorted. Wiring is not really hard but is time consuming to do.

Ok, I'm a bit tardy coming to this party. If you wanted to mate your 350 engine to a stock 3 speed tranny and transfer-case, here's some of what the cost might be:
1. My adapter and related parts, ebay #264275501163
2. My rear mount, ebay #264304627852
3. My FREE 3 speed transmission (you pay postage)
4. My 3 speed floor shifter (not on ebay yet, have 3, about 100 bucks each)
5. My special Chevota clutch (never on ebay, $262.00)
6. Front motor mounts, only set I have promised to Kevos37 here on mud, I'll see if he still needs them.
7. 168 tooth 11" flywheel, source locally- - -easy deal.

Next, if you wanted to attempt this conversion yourself (as has been suggested many times above), then go to the Downey Off Road link here on Mud and print out a copy of the Downey V8 installation instructions, study, do!!!!!

I have owned a Wagoneer that is my Jeep experience. Those wire nuts on the wiring would drive me nuts. You need spark and fuel and compression to run. Let's go back to the basics. You have it turning over ? You have the fuel system so that it is not pouring fuel into the engine? You have spark ? Do you own a multimeter/test light ? You need to buy a decent crimper and terminals and fix some of the wiring. The Jeep engine will do fine off road. You don't need a Jeep mechanic as much as you need the wiring sorted. Wiring is not really hard but is time consuming to do.
I can’t figure out the wiring to even get it to crank now. I know I have the correct starter on. When you turn the switch, it makes this horrible noise. My brother said it was coming from the solenoid, not the starter. Months ago when it would crank, it would bog down when it got up to temp. That was the original problem. Now since I have added the HEI distributor, I can’t get it to even crank. I need somebody that knows Jeeps to get this thing running right again. Somebody that knows HEI distributors and the associated wiring.

Ok, I'm a bit tardy coming to this party. If you wanted to mate your 350 engine to a stock 3 speed tranny and transfer-case, here's some of what the cost might be:
1. My adapter and related parts, ebay #264275501163
2. My rear mount, ebay #264304627852
3. My FREE 3 speed transmission (you pay postage)
4. My 3 speed floor shifter (not on ebay yet, have 3, about 100 bucks each)
5. My special Chevota clutch (never on ebay, $262.00)
6. Front motor mounts, only set I have promised to Kevos37 here on mud, I'll see if he still needs them.
7. 168 tooth 11" flywheel, source locally- - -easy deal.

Next, if you wanted to attempt this conversion yourself (as has been suggested many times above), then go to the Downey Off Road link here on Mud and print out a copy of the Downey V8 installation instructions, study, do!!!!!
Thanks. For now, I think I’m gonna leave it like it is and just get it running again. I appreciate the info on those parts.

Getting back to my original question in this tread, but from a different angle now, can anybody recommend a good Jeep mechanic here in the upstate of SC? I’m not gonna do the engine swap now. I just want to get my current setup running good again. It’s been sitting in my garage since June. I’ve git to get it running good again. Any recommendations on good Jeep mechanics will be appreciated. I can’t do the work myself. Thanks!
Give @Southeast Overland a call. They are a good balance of Cruiser love and Jeep knowledge

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom