Grab Handle Dimensions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 1981 BJ40 is missing the passenger side grab handle. They seem difficult to purchase at an affordable price. As such I’m thinking of fabricating one. It needs to look like the second picture. Distance between pre-drilled mounting holes is 18 1/4”. Can anyone confirm what the diameter of the handle pipe / tube is? I’m thinking g 3/4”? I’m also looking for the distance measurement from the face of the dash to the handle. There needs to be enough distance for the glove box door to open.

Thanks…….

IMG_0870.jpeg

IMG_0016.png

I'm betting it was metric like 20mm. Since its not OEM who cares if you fab one up out of 3/4" pipe. Making nice bends isn't all that easy without the proper tooling. I would just grind a notch and weld those joints or drill 3/4" holes for the legs in a 1" piece of pipe that would be the crossbar and weld it up. Not purest.

Idk, about 81 BJ's but that handle may not be stk. The handle in your 2nd pic looks to be a con-fer style handle. Mines 7/8" od or similar to @Brew40 measurements.

Those may not clear the glovebox door if you still have a dash pad.

I'm betting it was metric like 20mm. Since it’s not OEM who cares if you fab one up out of 3/4" pipe. Making nice bends isn't all that easy without the proper tooling. I would just grind a notch and weld those joints or drill 3/4" holes for the legs in a 1" piece of pipe that would be the crossbar and weld it up. Not purest.
I’d bring some beer/cash to a local muffler shop and see what they could bend up for you. Or use solid to avoid it folding… could be considered overkill though.

I don't think the Con-fer style will fill the holes in the dash, but it is designed to clear the pocket door if it's positioned correctly. They do come up for sale periodically in the classified section or post a wanted ad. You may need to fab something up if your goal is to fill the existing holes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom