Got Holiday Wheeling? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Interested/ I was also thinking of a coke ovens run tomorrow with camping, but never been there, some info says access is not available?
Coke Ovens is not open last I checked but lots of good trails and great scenery out there. Take a look at the Battleaxe Trail area, cross the Gila. Makes for a nice multi day trip with tons of camping options.

Thinking about a run on Monday December 31. Chance of rain late afternoon and early evening but it could be a good break. Will post up a destination later today or tomorrow.

Hoping to get on the road by 8 am headed somewhere.

I might be headed back to the roads just east of 51 ranch. We saw some interesting wheeling there before. Close enough for a day trip but who knows what the roads are like.

Thinking about going camping this weekend. Undecided on where.

Coke Ovens is not open last I checked but lots of good trails and great scenery out there. Take a look at the Battleaxe Trail area, cross the Gila. Makes for a nice multi day trip with tons of camping options.

we ran Coke Ovens from the Box Canyon side yesterday - the trail has become incredibly rocky, hardly any dirt left - it took us 4 hours from the Box Canyon entrance to the Coke Ovens alone (in the 40 and the Blazer)

we had originally planned to come out through Battleaxe, but since the first 14 miles took that long, we didn't think it prudent to embark on another 12 miles of even less predictable terrain . . .

so we forded the river at Cochran and came out over Kelvin-Florence Highway - considering that the river is rising right now, check the USGS water resources for information on the Gila River before going

Thinking about a run on Monday December 31. Chance of rain late afternoon and early evening but it could be a good break. Will post up a destination later today or tomorrow.

Hoping to get on the road by 8 am headed somewhere.

I'd be in, but have to take Sarah and Graham to the airport for an 11am flight.

Anything planned for New year's day? I know some Jeepers headed to Broken Arrow, but not excited about that trip.

I'd be in, but have to take Sarah and Graham to the airport for an 11am flight.

Anything planned for New year's day? I know some Jeepers headed to Broken Arrow, but not excited about that trip.

I’m thinking we should go both 12/31 and 1/1. New Year’s Day might be a good day to run 393 or back way to Young. Stay tuned

393 is not open as for as Abigail and I know.... not passable about half way in

we are running Backroad to Crown King tomorrow, 12/30 - see separate thread

The Hualapai mountains have a number of trails. Closer to Wickenburg there are other trails off the east side of the highway. Phil and I ran through this a little over a year ago, pretty cool area with some wheeling challenges and lots of scenery. Elevations run from about 5000’ to almost 8500’. Given the time of year and elevation it could have snow.

Phil and I got snowed on in May of 2017.
View attachment 1854844 View attachment 1854845 View attachment 1854846 View attachment 1854847

I’m sure that during the holidays we could get a few runs closer to home, most we have run before. Any wheeling is good wheeling in my opinion, something for everyone.
Which one of you has the aluminum RTT? Did I just see you in Flagstaff tonight turning on Country Club from the 89?

Which one of you has the aluminum RTT? Did I just see you in Flagstaff tonight turning on Country Club from the 89?

There are several aluminum RTT running around AZ these days.

@TWILLY ?

c616ed60-41bc-417c-8559-56e0ab9bce01-jpeg.1850852

393 is not open as for as Abigail and I know.... not passable about half way in

Hmm, been meaning to check up on that trail. The Forest Service was supposed to do some work on the northern end. We've got a report that there were some folks in there that had to do some rock stacking to get through a few weeks ago, right around the mid point.

Last edited:
Sure enough, that was me! I was coming home from doing a bit of photography east of town today. Brrrr...

View attachment 1865684
That was the 80 I saw. Cool, I thought that I had seen it on this forum somewhere. Nice pic of what looks like Sunset Crater.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom