Builds Goose Gear 80 Series Build (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I am way late to this build but got caught up this morning. Great looking 80 and modifications done so far! Whats next... bumpers & roof rack?

It's going to be a while before I do any major mods. This cleaned my wallet out. I want to see if I NEED bumpers before I get them. I will do the overlanding I do for the next year or so. If I find out that I need them, I will get them. If I don't, I won't. I am a part of the shallow pockets group. I don't have money to waste. I don't know if I will get a roof rack. Right now I can fit the 80 in my garage. I need to measure to see if I could still fit it in if I add a roof rack. I would like to get one and add solar up there. From there, possibly a 270 awning.

Right now, it is really about using the 80 on trips and feeling what I need. After trip assessments usually determine what happens next. Under the current climate that won't be happening anytime soon.

The current things happening are all under the hood adjustments. Nothing sexy, but little things that make it run better.

In little less than a year the Goose Gear 80 went from this...

fullsizeoutput_4b1.jpeg

When I first heard about the free $1,200 from the government my first reflex was to save it. After thinking about it, the idea for the give away was to pump money into the economy. I felt it was my obligation to do so. As such, I felt it was the best use of this money to support the small businesses that make up the overlanding community. The fact that it would make my 80 even better - that's the icing on the cake! Here is what I decided to do: Before doing it I am taking the 80 to have the roof and hood Line-Xed to cover the failing clear coat next week. Without further ado here is a coming attraction (@dad4x4) I am adding:

fullsizeoutput_847.jpeg

I should add that I measure my the top of my 80 relative to my garage door opening. I will still be able to pull the 80 into the garage once I add the roof rack. Next up after this is to add solar panels up there. I am saving a lot of money by working from home, so I should be able to purchase the panels and accompanying hardware pretty soon.

...However, when we went to put the matching fender on it would not align with the A pillar. It protruded out and just didn't look good. Decided to put the old one back on and told Paul to keep looking for a red 96'. Did have a nice time wrenching with Paul, though. Take the 80 in tomorrow to get the hood and roof Line-Xed. It should look nice when it is done.

I picked up some Maxtrax and GP mounts and got them on the GG 80 today. The mounts came with 1” x 1/2” mounting bolts, which could only be mounted to sheet metal I imagine. I swapped those out for 2” and then drilled hole into the 80/20 extrusion the cross members of the Prinsu Rack is made of. I got black because Iwant to keep the 80 as clean looking as possible. Happy with the finished product.

5284B75F-D4A3-480D-948F-900844CD392F.jpeg
FE5A8244-F966-48B1-BE78-36409AC399A4.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom