Builds Goose Gear 80 Series Build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Took a little trip this weekend to Sedona, Arizona.

tKQfKobJQ4ScuVv8G8eEcA.jpg

I am continuing to make little adjustments to the GG 80 build. When I bought the 80 it had the all too common flappy driver's side sun visor. I looked on eBay and found a replacement. as seen below.

ZJqYkt3vR4CbLly6yUjUqg.jpg

As you can see, it did not color match. It seems the previous owner installed a screw to keep it from flopping. It worked, but I was never was satisfied. Every time I looked it was a reminder that I had the wrong one.

I decided to replace it. I looked online and found that I could get a new OEM one in the original color. I didn't really want to pay the high price of around $200, but knew they may no longer be available when I got around to wanting to. So I punched in my credit card and ordered it...

fullsizeoutput_9dc.jpeg

Currently have an electrical issue. The fuse to the radio/clock and dome lights has blown a couple of times.

did they stop working when it was wet out? the amp plug is in the quarter panel and a few people have had issues with road spray getting in the plug and when it shorts is blows the fuse that goes to those items

did they stop working when it was wet out? the amp plug is in the quarter panel and a few people have had issues with road spray getting in the plug and when it shorts is blows the fuse that goes to those items

It ended up being the LED dome lights I used. They didn’t quite fit right. When I replaced them with the original lights I never had the problem again. I either ordered or was sent the wrong ones.

I decided to replace it. I looked online and found that I could get a new OEM one in the original color. I didn't really want to pay the high price of around $200, but knew they may no longer be available when I got around to wanting to. So I punched in my credit card and ordered it...

View attachment 2347984
This is very true to my way of thinking. I have bought so many parts over the years and paid way more more than I should have but for fear that it would soon be NLA. I would settle on the high price to ensure I would get what I need. It was funny reading this and knowing how much I’ve done this and still going too! Your 80 looks great.

What do you think of the rear tire carrier? Got some more pics from side, back, etc?

Sorry it’s taken me so long to respond. Been busy. I like the Wilco Hitchgate, but am going to be switching soon to the RIGd UltraSwing Multi-fit. The Wilco sits out a little farther than I want. Part of the problem is the Curt receiver. It's neck sticks way out. Between that the Wilco I have about a 10" gap between the liftgate and the spare tire.

I am also switching to the RIGd UltraSwing because it offers accessories that you can attach. I want to put a table on it, something I cannot do with the Wilco (without modifying it first). The RIGd also offers a lock open feature, that is absent on the Wilco. If I set up camp at a slight angle I can lock the carrier open at a 90 degree angle and not have to worry about it either closing in on me or wanting to swing away from me. I will post pictures of it when it's mounted.

Here are some pictures of the Wilco for you:

kQCnw6iAScyjyyaSc9RT+Q.jpg
g3e3bAPcSfWeDHu4PBySnA.jpg
CtCHLIDJSryjxPO7BygfBA.jpg
YNgo85I6TWuzvpevf1+UHw.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry it’s taken me so lompng or respond. Been busy. I like the Wilco Hitchgate, but am going to be switching soon to the RIGd UltraSwing Multi-fit. The Wilco sits out a little farther than I want. Part of the problem is the Curt receiver. It's neck stick way out. Between that the Wilco I have about a 10" gap between the liftgate and the spare tire.

I am also switching to the RIGd UltraSwing because it offers accessories that you can attach. I want to put a table on it, something I cannot do with the Wilco (without modifying it first). The RIGd also offers a lock open feature, that is absent on the Wilco. If I set up camp at a slight angle I can lock the carrier open at a 90 degree angle and not have to worry about it either closing in on me or wanting to swing away from me. I will post pictures of it when it's mounted.

Here are some pictures of the Wilco for you:

View attachment 2403377View attachment 2403378View attachment 2403379View attachment 2403380
Thanks! Answers a lot of questions for me

On my last trip to Montana the electrical gremlins struck again. My dome lights, clock, and radio stopped working again. I thought I had fixed the problem when I replaced the LED dome lights with the originals. It had worked for a while, but when I started the trip this issue crept back up. I am going to have to take the dash a part to see if the radio wiring is the issue. I don't think it is. When I replaced the radio I soldered and heat shrinked the loom. We shall see...

On a different not, the next step in the Goose Gear 80 has arrived. I have decided to add solar. Sunflare Solar was nice enough to give me one of their 126 watt flexible solar panels. Thank you Sunflare Solar! 🙏 I still need to get the Victron controller. That will be down the way a little while. A future attraction for the time being.

pqlCQ%WRTzK3RL+nL1kYCA.jpg

In other parts of the build I took a custom cover that I had made for my sleeping mat and had a hole made so that the valve on the Nemo Cosmo sleeping pad would stick out. There have been times that I needed to adjust the air and it was a pain when I was lying on it to unzip and get my hand underneath to adjust the amount of air. Problem solved!

ud9Yqgr4Stem9occT7lzOw.jpg
+esJVtU5RzWdAEMFlUdvyw.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom