Going from an fj80 to possibly a kzj78 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

IMG_9651.JPG
I Put one of these turbo badges on my Kzj78 from @bhicks I think it looks the part! Not much to update lately. I have been saving for a arb bumper and roof rack. I am going to start welding in a few patch panels in a few small rust spots that are forming. Ill probably begin this when the summer season starts to slow down and I have more time. Anybody on here know a good place online to get paint matched and mixed?

some Updates: Finally Got to meet @theglobb ! It was a fun time. I wish I had more time to stick around and tinker on stuff. But I did get to drive a sick fj40 That belonged to @Shyrock . I am day dreaming of owning one now! I am going to try and start planning a land cruiser meet up sometime this fall/winter on the outer banks. I know a few of us live in eastern NC and it would be cool to get together and nerd out.

Some things coming up: I am going to start mocking up the snorkel I have for my kzj78. I am torn to witch Toyota snorkel I am leaning towards. I have the later one for the More recent vdj79 style land cruisers. But it looks like it follows the lines of the cruiser. I also finally have the parts to do the timing belt. so I will be tackling that sooner than later.
unnamed-6.jpg

52334811494_7179f49f9c_k.jpg

I have had this snorkel since Juneish. I finally ordered the other parts for it like the pre cleaner and a few other bolts and nutserts and the little rubber pad for the bracket that attaches to the windshield frame. Hopefully by next week Ill have all the parts I need to install. So far I made a paper template and measured out everything. Next I will start cutting. I figured this fender has so much bondo in the front of it that I am really not hurting much by installing this. I did finally source a new front fender. I may reinstall the snorkel when I install the front fender as well.

I thought long and hard about installing one but It came down to finding some sand in my airbox. (more sand than I thought would end up in there) I do lots of beach driving and driving on a few dirt/ dirty roads as I live at the beach. I figured why not go ahead and install this. Plus it does look cool!
IMG_0042 2.JPG

Is it original Toyota snorkel? What is the part number?
it is Toyota OEM snorkel. I believe these are for the vdj79 series. it does fit the lines for the kzj78 very well. I know I may have issues connecting to the airbox. I have some of the ducting for a vdj79 but I believe I will probably be using some generic rubber tubing. The lower part is 53285-60090 and the upper part is 53299-60220. the brackets, bolts and precleaner, and rubber pad are all separate part numbers.

Most of the parts I am using can be found here - https://partsouq.com/en/catalog/gen...GBMaeFABAAAAABBS2pU$&vid=0&cid=&uid=334399&q=

Has anyone ever had a shipment held up in customs (clearance delay) due Fedex saying it needs a Commercial Invoice? I checked this morning and this has happened to my shipment that I purchased some parts to do my water pump and timing belt from Partsourq.com I contacted Partsourq and they said they send the commercial invoice electronically to fed ex. sounds like Fedex has not checked for that or somthing.

I was hoping to have these parts for this weekend for my snorkel install and possible changing out the timing belt. (even though I don't think the timing belt needs it)

I am wondering If I need to take action or do you all think will it resolve itself?

Has anyone ever had a shipment held up in customs (clearance delay) due Fedex saying it needs a Commercial Invoice? I checked this morning and this has happened to my shipment that I purchased some parts to do my water pump and timing belt from Partsourq.com I contacted Partsourq and they said they send the commercial invoice electronically to fed ex. sounds like Fedex has not checked for that or somthing.

I was hoping to have these parts for this weekend for my snorkel install and possible changing out the timing belt. (even though I don't think the timing belt needs it)

I am wondering If I need to take action or do you all think will it resolve itself?

Call Fedex, tell them the situation and that your not a business or a professional importer.
You may still need to pay import duties. But sometimes they just clear the shipment and send it along.
DHL does the same thing.

Maybe I am wrong but the com inv is usually included with the shipment paperwork for partsouq in the clear pouch.

Maybe I am wrong but the com inv is usually included with the shipment paperwork for partsouq in the clear pouch.
It usually is. I emailed partsouq and they said they also send that stuff directly to fedex electronically also. super weird and I have not had this issue yet. if the tracking says the same tomorrow morning Ill give fed ex a call I guess. It was super frustrating trying to find a number to call earlier.

@apexwerks just said his shipment was delayed in customs today, maybe the same issue?

@apexwerks just said his shipment was delayed in customs today, maybe the same issue?
I hope it resolves itself. I was hoping to do some tinkering and wrenching this weekend but looks like that will not happen. I might not have time anyway. we have some epic waves coming in from this storm and I gotta surf when I can. I surfed some double over head surf after teaching yesterday. IT was almost too big to surf this morning. I am going to check here in an hour. Ill post a few photos of the kzj78 and some big surf.

I hope it resolves itself. I was hoping to do some tinkering and wrenching this weekend but looks like that will not happen. I might not have time anyway. we have some epic waves coming in from this storm and I gotta surf when I can. I surfed some double over head surf after teaching yesterday. IT was almost too big to surf this morning. I am going to check here in an hour. Ill post a few photos of the kzj78 and some big surf.

Haha, too big and too long period up here. Hoping for Saturday 🤙 I'm neck deep in cruiser projects, house projects and prepping to go to work for a month. BUT, surf keeps taking priority. September, you know. How about that line squall that just hit? House is a rockin...

Call Fedex, tell them the situation and that your not a business or a professional importer.
You may still need to pay import duties. But sometimes they just clear the shipment and send it along.
DHL does the same thing.

Hello,

x2.

And e-mail them the invoice Partsouq.com sent you, for additional peace of mind.

Sometimes the vendor forgets to include the invoice. Sometimes FedEx are overwhelmed and do not check packages for invoices; the easy solution is to report a missing invoice and wait for it.

Juan

Haha, too big and too long period up here. Hoping for Saturday 🤙 I'm neck deep in cruiser projects, house projects and prepping to go to work for a month. BUT, surf keeps taking priority. September, you know. How about that line squall that just hit? House is a rockin...
The house was shaking here too. wild for sure. It looks like this morning the wind has seriously nocked back some of the surf. if the wind falls out this afternoon ill be able to get out there to catch some waves. Its much more manageable today than it was yesterday. Bad photo to show the surf but this was this morning before I got into work.
Whitagram-Image.JPG

So I got bored this weekend and installed this snorkel to about 95%. Right now its a funnel into my fender side haha. I still need to istall some of the duct work and the precleaner top part. (both of witch are still being shipped.) The only thing I don't like is that it left more of a panel gap than I would have liked but at least dirt and stuff won't get stuck back behind it as easily. After I get the inner fender stuff installed I am going to seal everything up. so far I have used mostly factory parts witch is nice. Ill post some picks of the hole I had to cut after I take the snorkel back off to install the rest of the parts. (was scary doing that) also you can see that I sanded a rust bubble off to find that it was not a hole all the way through yet. (happy news) I am going to find someplace to mix paint here soon.
IMG_0170.JPG
IMG_0171.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom