Gm v8 diesel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a few questions on the doing a diesel conversion with the 6.2 gm V8. I was wondering what the fuel mileage was? And how different, as far as conversion parts (IE adapters), from a regular SBC conversion.

Personally, I would not do that conversion. The 6.2 was a gas motor that GM converted to deisel. Parts are expensive and not easy to come by. If you have to go deisel, pick up a cummins. I've driven both, the cummins has much more torq and power.

[quote author=SPRDAV link=board=1;threadid=5296;start=msg41525#msg41525 date=1063670358]
Personally, I would not do that conversion. The 6.2 was a gas motor that GM converted to deisel. Parts are expensive and not easy to come by. If you have to go deisel, pick up a cummins. I've driven both, the cummins has much more torq and power.
[/quote]

I think you are talking about the 5.7L diesels found in GM cars. The 6.2 diesels are plentiful and not hard to find parts for. If you add a turbo, the hp and torque will be near what a cummins already turboed will be.

As far as conversions, GM transmissions will bolt up so mounting to trannys would be mostly the same as SBC. You would probably want to use the diesel flywheel/clutch or conveter. I would actually look at using a GM transmission as the added torque and weight may not be suited to the factory cruiser trans. I have never done this conversion above is opinion from knowledge of GM diesels so take it for what its worth.

Cruiserrg is right. 6.2 liter engines are easy to find parts for and easy to upgrade. You may also wish to look into a 6.5 liter (3rd generation). These engines are NOT gas conversions, however, both of these engines still had issues with FI pumps which have a high replacement cost ($1500+ New). I wouldn't consider either without turbocharging. I've owned all 3 generation GM diesels and for reliability give them an F, C, B- respectively. If using an auto transmission you do wish to use the diesel torque converter since it's set up to engage at much lower RPM's keeping in mind your redline will be about 3500.

[quote author=Rice link=board=1;threadid=5296;start=msg42038#msg42038 date=1063798733]
These engines are NOT gas conversions, however, both of these engines still had issues with FI pumps which have a high replacement cost ($1500+ New).
[/quote]

Tim Wagner timwagner6@hotmail.com has a very good rep. for quaility rebuilds of these pumps for $200.

If you go with a 6.5 you will NEVER get the milage that a 6.2 will get, there is an inherit problem in the 6.5 computer that was realized shortly after their release, but when the problem was found the duramax was already in the final phases of production (but yet not do to release for a couple years) and GM chose to pretend everything thing was fine istead of doing a nation-wide recall for a few mpg's. There are some parts on the 6.2 that can be swapped into the 6.5 that will get your mpg up to 22 (in a full size chebby) If you are really, really interested in doing that kind of conversion send me a pm and I can get you some more info.

My son's hockey coach had a GM 6.2 diesel pickup and was on his 3rd fuel injection pump at approx. $3000 Canadian installed :eek:. Doesn't say much for reliability or fuel savings if you do that too often!
I've NEVER had an injection pump issue on either of my 3B diesel 'Cruisers :D. That's reliability!
btw. Don't EVER think of a 5.7 GM diesel. They are by far the worst engine I've heard of.

From a casual observers' point of view, it seems that these engines have way to many issues to belong in a Cruiser. :D ::)

As far as the fuel injection pumps, yes there is an issues with reliability of the electronic pumps. I would recommend looking into an old 6.2 that had mechnical pump which would be much more reliable. Add a turbo if you feel necessary for more HP and torque.

[quote author=cruiserrg link=board=1;threadid=5296;start=msg42336#msg42336 date=1063851418]
As far as the fuel injection pumps, yes there is an issues with reliability of the electronic pumps. I would recommend looking into an old 6.2 that had mechnical pump which would be much more reliable. Add a turbo if you feel necessary for more HP and torque.
[/quote]

second that .. i'm gettin 2 running m1008 6.2 for next to nutin :D put 12v alt and new glow plugs and you got a low mile motor easy and these are every were..

[quote author=folsom50 link=board=1;threadid=5296;start=msg42291#msg42291 date=1063841874]
If you go with a 6.5 you will NEVER get the milage that a 6.2 will get, there is an inherit problem in the 6.5 computer that was realized shortly after their release, but when the problem was found the duramax was already in the final phases of production.
[/quote]

I'd have to vote the other way on milage. My 6.2 (GMC Jimmy) never got better than 18 MPG and my 97 6.5 Turbo Suburban averaged 19-20 unless towing or I was making it "whistle" a lot. GM did finally get a more reliable pump (manufactured by Stanadyne) but the mechanical pump would be a much easier install from the conversion point of view. Be sure to use a GOOD water separator for the fuel to keep all water out of the pump.

Its mainly the Stanodyne fuel injector pump that causes the problems with the GM diesel.Sometimes cracks appear between 1 and 2 on the cylinder head and allow coolant leakage.In extreme cases the leak can cause serious damage but this is uncommon .For more info do a search for the DIESEL DOCTOR.

[quote author=roscoFJ73 link=board=1;threadid=5296;start=msg42464#msg42464 date=1063886706]
.For more info do a search for the DIESEL DOCTOR.
[/quote]

yep this guys got a fly wheel for sticks also @ $100.00 :D

http://www.dieseldoctor.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom