Glow indicator for diesel swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just wanted to show you guys what I've done to have an OEM style glow indicator on my dash for my diesel swap.

IMG_1061.jpg

After finishing all the mechanical work, I had to wire up the sensors and accessories on the
engine to make it all work.

I figured I'm not going to need the CEL indicator for an all mechanical diesel engine ( no ECU ) so I've made a factory style box with an amber lens and engraved the glow symbol in it.

IMG_1058.jpg

IMG_1059.jpg

After installing it I didn't like that the 4WD indicator wasn't matching the new glow indicator
so I made a new one.

IMG_1062.jpg

Let me know if you guys have any questions about these indicators or the wiring for the glow plug relay and the indicator.

Last edited:
NICELY DONE! How's the power and economy on that OM engine? OM617?

@LA Z i believe has an OM606 there. mine is an OM617 in my 40. it’s not running yet so i don’t know. i have a dieselmenken pump and holset hx30 so it should make more power than stock by about 30%. that’ll of course drop mileage. i drove the car it came out of which is 700ish pounds heavier than the cruiser and could get 30-35mpg with five full size adults in it. i’m hoping with the plywood like aerodynamics and larger tires it’ll get low to mid 20s. still better than the 14 i was getting with stock engine before it seized.

i’ve heard the OM606 is better suited to the bigger 60 series. mine i think would be a little under powered (stock anyway)

what transmission are you running behind these really cool glow indicators!!?

Last edited:
NICELY DONE! How's the power and economy on that OM engine? OM617?

OM606 with 7.5mm Dieselmeken pump and HX35.
More power than I need, and the gas mileage is mid 20s ( depending on my right foot )

i’ve gone that route too! this is the other diesel project i mentioned to you i’m working on. View attachment 3113821

I've got an OM617 in my 40 also. It's a really nice engine for the 40s.
I like your inter cooler setup.

thanks. i don’t have room up front for an air to air intercooler so went with the air water set up. fits pretty well. still have to makes some space for the heat exchanger and hopefully an air conditioning heat exchange. it’s been on hold while i built a new house. hope to get working on it again this winter.

I've made some replacement lenses for the 60s cluster, that would replace the CHOKE indicator
with the one for GLOW.

IMG_1081.jpg

And of course the 4WD

IMG_1092.jpg

I got a couple extra lenses up for grabs

IMG_1094.jpg

I did sandblast one of the 4WD lens to see how it would come out,
just wanted to match the OEM lens satin finish.

Last edited:
Very very nice.

Thank you.

The first post is for the 62s.
For the 60s it's only the lenses, for the 62s it's the lenses and housings.
You'd think I would remember that given I had read the whole thread in process.

Don't mind me, it was a sleepless night.. ...
🙄

I do wanna get a 4WD light like what you made and a CEL if you decide to do those up too. Looks way better than the OEM indicator lights.

Man that's badass. I want to change the choke light on mine now that I have a diesel, however I don't have glow plugs. I have an intake heater... How hard is it to create those? I could definitely use a grid heater momentary light in that spot
If you find a symbol for that I’ll engrave it for you, or you could just have a “ WAIT TO START “ on that lens.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom