General 3FE Tune Up Info (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I added a page to my site for this stuff. All part numbers were checked and blessed by John Hocker and Dan. Most info is 3FE specific, but the basic idea applies to any vehicle.

This is in response to "my 3FE has no power" or "I just bought an 18 year old truck and it's not running right. I though these were supposed to be reliable." or "I just did a tune up (plugs, cap, rotor). What else should be done?" You get the point. These are basic maintenance items that fail over time and should be part of a baseline tune up.

Only after you've done all this, cleaned the throttle body, had the injectors cleaned and balanced, had the cooling system serviced, and replaced the pre-filter in the fuel tank along with the in line fuel filter are you allowed to complain about lack of power.

http://www.sdsysdesign.com/tlc/images/Strife/3FE TuneUp.pdf

It sounds like there may be some p/n differences for the FJ62 version of 3FE: https://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/722244-3fe-tune-up-question.html#post8427369

Wow. I really have egg on my face now. I mean, my daughter picked out these mats years ago and they have been sitting in the back except for the occasional cleaning. I just went out to look at them...

The left rear mat is Scooby only and the right is Scoobt and Shaggy with a ghost. I appologize to all whome I might have led astray. Giving out bad information on my own truck is shameful at best. Please don't ban me from Mud.

Links to SD floor mats here:

Scooby-Doo Utility Mat | Rear Floor Mat
Scooby Doo & Shaggy w/ Ghost - Utility Floor Mats-Pr.

2nd link no longer works - :frown:

I am just curious if I am doing the belts and fan clutch, should I go ahead and replace the water pump while I have the front of the motor stripped down? This seemed like a good place to ask this 3FE question, mostly since jonheld is the go to guy on the 3FE.

I am just curious if I am doing the belts and fan clutch, should I go ahead and replace the water pump while I have the front of the motor stripped down? This seemed like a good place to ask this 3FE question, mostly since jonheld is the go to guy on the 3FE.

Since everything is out, I would replace it. It wont hurt and probably save you time and headaches in the future... :cheers:

I know this is an old thread, about an old Cruiser. But I just purchased one the other day (2015). It has a genuine 180,000 Km (111,000 miles) on the clock. The previous owner had been trying to solve a 'lack of power' and idle hunt issue. I think he gave up but only after replacing the entire ignition, MAS, and most vacuum lines. I think this promoted him to sell it for a really good price.

When I took it for a test drive it was severely under-powered (even for a 3F-E). It was idling between 1,000 rpm and 1,600 rpm, and stalled sometimes when taking off.

The first things I did was put a new air filter on, then cleaned the idle air control valve with carb cleaner and a toothbrush. The cleaner cost about $15, and took about 30 mins. After this, the truck ran like brand new.

The next day I cleaned out the throttle body with carb cleaner and a toothbrush, and adjusted the kickback cable. There was a lot of carbon behind the throttle plate.

I think the "3FE TuneUp.pdf" was a good start, but should also include cleaning the idle air control valve, and adjusting the kick-down cable for automatics.

I know this is an old thread, about an old Cruiser. But I just purchased one the other day (2015). It has a genuine 180,000 Km (111,000 miles) on the clock. The previous owner had been trying to solve a 'lack of power' and idle hunt issue. I think he gave up but only after replacing the entire ignition, MAS, and most vacuum lines. I think this promoted him to sell it for a really good price.

When I took it for a test drive it was severely under-powered (even for a 3F-E). It was idling between 1,000 rpm and 1,600 rpm, and stalled sometimes when taking off.

The first things I did was put a new air filter on, then cleaned the idle air control valve with carb cleaner and a toothbrush. The cleaner cost about $15, and took about 30 mins. After this, the truck ran like brand new.

The next day I cleaned out the throttle body with carb cleaner and a toothbrush, and adjusted the kickback cable. There was a lot of carbon behind the throttle plate.

I think the "3FE TuneUp.pdf" was a good start, but should also include cleaning the idle air control valve, and adjusting the kick-down cable for automatics.

What is idle air control valve? Can you post a picture of it?

2nd where is the idle air control valve. More info please.

I could be wrong but I believe reference to the "idle air control valve" is actually the idle speed control valve (FI-67 of the FSM). I haven't gotten around to a mild cleaning on mine simply because the FSM mentions the need to drain engine coolant and I haven't wanted to take that on during any of my short bursts of maintenance activities. It would be good to know if draining the coolant isn't actually required.

upload_2015-10-6_10-34-33.png

Hey Jon. Just wanted to say thanks again for posting this up. I noticed during our ridiculously inclement weather this weekend the "turbo kick in feeling" starting at about 2100 RPM. Kind of doggy, even for a 3FE, below that. I'm going to check my EGR valve today after school. Thank you sir. :) (As I was driving, I remembered reading exactly these symptoms in this post, so I dug it out again.)

Question on old thread: have a 1988 FJ62, desmgged-
What would cause a "turbo like" feeling around 2800 rpm's?

Thanks for your guess Jonheld but it is DESMOGGED= NO EGR. Hence, why I ask. II fixed it. It had bad carbon and gunk inside throttle body. A can of Carb and injector cleaner sprayed into all vacuum ports, tubes, plugs and valves while running engine, and at temp cleaned it up.
Quicker responce, better idel, smmother operation all around.
$5.00 fix, or using a better non ethanol gas during the last 28 years would have helped prevent this.

I added a page to my site for this stuff. All part numbers were checked and blessed by John Hocker and Dan. Most info is 3FE specific, but the basic idea applies to any vehicle.

This is in response to "my 3FE has no power" or "I just bought a 21 year old truck and it's not running right. I though these were supposed to be reliable." or "I just did a tune up (plugs, cap, rotor). What else should be done?" You get the point. These are basic maintenance items that fail over time and should be part of a baseline tune up.

NOTE: This does NOT include changing your old clogged catalytic converters along with your old and crusty O2 sensors. This should be VERY close to the top of your list when looking over a 21 year old vehicle. The combination of the 2 makes a tremendous difference.

Only after you've done all this, cleaned the throttle body, had the injectors cleaned and balanced, had the cooling system serviced, and replaced the pre-filter in the fuel tank along with the in line fuel filter are you allowed to complain about lack of power.

http://www.sdsysdesign.com/tlc/images/Strife/3FE TuneUp.pdf
Thank you for the link to the parts list!!!!

Best time and money spent so far on my 3FE was for a desmog. It absolutely feels like a different truck. I'm not going to say it's any faster, which is just silly to say about any 80;), but it's much smoother, quieter, and more responsive.

Hi... how did you desmog it to improve performance? No one is very familiar with a 3FE engine here in the Philippines so I might have to DIY it... do you have a link where I can take as reference for desmogging, or did you just follow the link @johnheld sent?

I would replace WP, thermostat, all the smaller coolant hoses connected to the WP, I believe there are 3 of them while you are in there. Ask me how i know....

Previous Post:
"Only after you've done all this, cleaned the throttle body, had the injectors cleaned and balanced, had the cooling system serviced, and replaced the pre-filter in the fuel tank along with the in line fuel filter are you allowed to complain about lack of power."
-- Jon Held

**Hhhaha!!! That's pretty funny!
Owning a '91 since the beginning of this year, the P.O. stated he had already performed a tune-up.
In fact he said, "Don't perform a tune-up, I already did." However,... "I" do not know exactly what he did.
So,....
Looks like I may be testing, inspecting and maybe purchasing a few new (preferably OEM) parts, while performing some redundant procedures just to validate that "I KNOW" what has been performed on the truck. (189,000 miles)

A few other things need servicing anyway:
- The bottom of the frame is splattered, sprayed, smeared, coated ('whatever') in oil
- Front Axle needs re-servicing
- weak Hood Struts nearly took my freakin' head off - been using a Hood prop-rod; (changing that soon)

note: Working on my '81 40_series as well, (behind the scenes)

"Only after you've done all this, cleaned the throttle body, had the injectors cleaned and balanced, had the cooling system serviced, and replaced the pre-filter in the fuel tank along with the in line fuel filter are you allowed to complain about lack of power."

:lol: Ha ha. Good stuff. Thank you sir.
Throttle body cleaning gave me the most improvement.

Anyone have any leads on 3FE EGR valve assembies?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom