General 3FE Tune Up Info (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.sdsysdesign.com
This now lives in the Resources section in this forum. Most info is 3FE specific, but the basic idea applies to any vehicle.

*****NOTE***** As of 3/2019 the EGR Valve: OEM part# 25620-61120 is NLA.

This is in response to "my 3FE has no power" or "I just bought a 30 year old truck and it's not running right. I though these were supposed to be reliable." or "I just did a tune up (plugs, cap, rotor). What else should be done?" You get the point. These are basic maintenance items that fail over time and should be part of a baseline tune up.

NOTE: This does NOT include changing your old clogged catalytic converters along with your old and crusty O2 sensors. This should be VERY close to the top of your list when looking over a 30 year old vehicle. The combination of the 2 makes a tremendous difference.

Only after you've done all this, cleaned the throttle body, had the injectors cleaned and balanced, had the cooling system serviced, and replaced the pre-filter in the fuel tank along with the in line fuel filter are you allowed to complain about lack of power.

Last edited:
"Only after you've done all this, cleaned the throttle body, had the injectors cleaned and balanced, had the cooling system serviced, and replaced the pre-filter in the fuel tank along with the in line fuel filter are you allowed to complain about lack of power."

:lol: Ha ha. Good stuff. Thank you sir.

awesome thanks! :clap:

Can I get more info on the Scooby Doo floormat mod? :flipoff2:

Bookmarked, thanks. :cheers:

Can I get more info on the Scooby Doo floormat mod?

Sure. Left side rear mat is Scooby and Shaggy. Right side is the whole gang with the Mystery Machine. I tried it reversed and I got worse fuel mileage.

I tried it reversed and I got worse fuel mileage.

:D

Thanks Jon. I see you have a link to that thread in your sig line so we can tell everyone where to go to answer their questions and nobody will have to do a search. ;)

-B-

Hey Jon. Just wanted to say thanks again for posting this up. I noticed during our ridiculously inclement weather this weekend the "turbo kick in feeling" starting at about 2100 RPM. Kind of doggy, even for a 3FE, below that. I'm going to check my EGR valve today after school. Thank you sir. :) (As I was driving, I remembered reading exactly these symptoms in this post, so I dug it out again.)

I'm not so sure. I noticed it seeming to accelerate slowly during our blizzard and I thought it was just extra resistance from the ice and snow. But now its all melted and I still had it this morning. I looked at it during lunch, and one of the hard lines lines was corroded inside the vaccum line and all the hardcore jouncing this weekend finally got it loose enough that it cracked the hose. So no, for me at least, its not a good thing. Most of my driving is below 2000 rpm. :)

Well, I clipped the ends of the split line and reseated it. (I'll get a new hose replacement, but for now its good.) Back to its normal "peppy" self. :) Interestingly, all the lines looked good, except for the one that had the leak. It looked old and brittle whereas all the others look almost new. Anyway, it put it back to normal. I am working my way through the PM things that Jon had suggested. I will look over all the EGR related stuff, but they have been replaced with all OEM stuff at some point not too long before I bought it. We'll see though. :) Thanks for the write up again. Helped alot.

Wow. I really have egg on my face now. I mean, my daughter picked out these mats years ago and they have been sitting in the back except for the occasional cleaning. I just went out to look at them...

The left rear mat is Scooby only and the right is Scoobt and Shaggy with a ghost. I appologize to all whome I might have led astray. Giving out bad information on my own truck is shameful at best. Please don't ban me from Mud.

Links to SD floor mats here:

Scooby-Doo Utility Mat | Rear Floor Mat
Scooby Doo & Shaggy w/ Ghost - Utility Floor Mats-Pr.

Classic! :lol::lol:

As all ways thanks for sharing your knowledge... even in floor mats :grinpimp:

Gees Just when I thought I was done with my PM. Looks like a have more to do before I drop the cash on a regear. Drivng to Flagstaff from Phoenix yesterday at 45MPH was no fun.

How much $$ am I looking at to have the injectors cleaned and blananced and to have the prefilter changed?

Best time and money spent so far on my 3FE was for a desmog. It absolutely feels like a different truck. I'm not going to say it's any faster, which is just silly to say about any 80;), but it's much smoother, quieter, and more responsive.

Best time and money spent so far on my 3FE was for a desmog. It absolutely feels like a different truck. I'm not going to say it's any faster, which is just silly to say about any 80;), but it's much smoother, quieter, and more responsive.

Not gona happen in AZ.

How often do you test? After driving mine, I would happily re-install for testing then remove for another year. It's maybe 1 hour of easy work if you don't remove the cats. Everything is reversible, I made sure of that in the event that I would ever have to reinstall my equipment. My 3FE has been well maintained and ran well pre-desmog, but the difference was still dramatic.

I know what I'll be doing this weekend!

Any idea what the cost is for all the OEM parts??

Guess a call to C-Dan would be in order!

Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom