Gas saver (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I don't have a lot of data to work with yet, but my sense is that the mileage is so bad, it doesn't really drop much regardless of whether I'm pulling a Malibu ski boat, or have two kayaks up top, or a full-sized Thule box mounted. I expected the mileage to go from barely 14 to 9. Instead, fully loaded, it goes to 12.

I don't have a lot of data to work with yet, but my sense is that the mileage is so bad, it doesn't really drop much regardless of whether I'm pulling a Malibu ski boat, or have two kayaks up top, or a full-sized Thule box mounted. I expected the mileage to go from barely 14 to 9. Instead, fully loaded, it goes to 12.i
From going on 10 years with my ‘13 LX with LC rails 33” AT tires. I get on the highway going 55-65 with EtOH free gas.

Baseline ~16-17 mpg.

On the roof cargo
With 2 to 10 pairs of skis ~14-16 mpg
One yakama skybox ~14-15 mpg
2 yakama skyboxes or my RTT 13-14 mpg
Canoe 14-15 mpg
2-5 enduro bikes (wheel on trays) ~12-14 mpg

Towing my camper (ORV 22BHS, ~6800 lbs) ~9 mpg.
4 bikes on my NS4 hitch rack no noticeable reduction.

If I bump my speed to 70-75 I get about a 15-20% reduction from above.

Agreed, but start-stop systems, regardless of cold or warm increase the number of cycles that take the crankshaft and the bearing half shells through a phase of mixed film lubrication. Starting the engine allows the microscopic peaks on the metal surfaces to contact and cause wear until hydrodynamic lubrication has been reestablished. This is the challenge with these systems, and putting coatings on the contact surface (including iron oxide or rust) has been shown to slow down wear, but not stop it.
Sure.. That plus the wear on the starter and whatever other complexity they need to add to get the climate control and other systems to function with the engine not running are all reasons I dislike these systems.

Even with direct contact between small portions of the crank and bearings, there is a good fresh layer of warm oil in there, oil in the galleys ready to provide pressure almost instantaneously, and idle speed is a vastly different environment in the bearing than a few thousand RPMs let alone high speed running.

I just didn't want people equating each stop-start cycle with a real cold-start.

I don't have a lot of data to work with yet, but my sense is that the mileage is so bad, it doesn't really drop much regardless of whether I'm pulling a Malibu ski boat, or have two kayaks up top, or a full-sized Thule box mounted. I expected the mileage to go from barely 14 to 9. Instead, fully loaded, it goes to 12.

Might be useful to note that MPG is a terrible metric at our level of consumption. A difference of 2 MPG for our pigs is far different than a Prius loosing 2 MPG. A 14% hit versus maybe 4% for a Prius.

I never knew mud had so many autists. You'd think we were chatting behind Wendy's.

Hold them cruisers with 💎👐.

So... uhh... positions or ban?
Yes.

Econo actually helps if you have a heavy foot. Probably you don't have one so that's why you find it funny. It can be turned off in the settings BTW.
Me coming from a sports car I find the Econo useful now after being very annoyed initially.
As they ^ said I also have other cars.
Sorry for the slow response! Yeah just for grins and giggles I’ll try when I have a slow week to see if I can approve my MPG’s! So far no luck that’s what prompted my post! I rarely drive with it on.

For me, MPG is why i am looking for a “milder” AT tire next time around to replace my BFG KO2.

Averaged 16mpg heading up (and down) to the ski hill yesterday. 12mpg on the way up (into a MASSIVE headwind part of the way), 20mpg on the way down. If only it could be downhill both ways :hillbilly:

Averaged 16mpg heading up (and down) to the ski hill yesterday. 12mpg on the way up (into a MASSIVE headwind part of the way), 20mpg on the way down. If only it could be downhill both ways :hillbilly:
You youngsters just want everything downhill………in my day, we drive uphill both ways! :D

You youngsters just want everything downhill………in my day, we drive uphill both ways! :D
Well, when I was a kid I had a ‘46 Jeep that would hit 45 miles per hour downhill with a tailwind, so that’s all I ever did.

I don’t think I said I was ever worried! It was a question birthed out of humor.
For a financial conservative like myself there is nothing humorous about this subject! And even though my soul hurts every time I fill a car with gas I still aspire to own a 200 series some day. I owned a ‘92 explorer in my youth and although it gave me mpg anxiety I loved driving it 80 miles round trip to college every day!

No complaints from me. I wasn’t expecting much out of a 6k lb awd suv but my LX does better than my old raptor did and even though I am not getting the same range due to the smaller tank in the LX, it hurts a little less to fill up. My raptor had a 36 gallon tank. Regardless I’ve got a few other vehicles that consume less and I’ve found myself driving them more than the LX lately unless I’ve got the wife and kid with me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom