Gas saver (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yeah. Amazing how ignorant people can be thinking it saves gas or doesn’t create excessive engine and starter wear.
It may save a little gas, but the battery and starter are expensive compared to general components. A true hybrid is the smart alternative to this.

If you’re this worried about mpg you shouldn’t be driving a Land Cruiser.

I get soooo tired of this thoughtless answer. It assumes anyone driving a nice vehicle has gas money to burn without thought or consideration. Some of you do. Congratulation & good for you. But when people simply dismiss the consideration as beneath them, it exposes a pompous, arrogant attitude that is truly unbecoming.

Often the opposite is true.
Often it is the most passionate, connected and fervent off-roaders who are in this out of love for it despite the sacrifice it requires of them...rather than merely an occasional accessory pose or ego boost to an already bursting fleet of toys in their garage.

I, for one, have been in Land Cruisers not because its easily affordable…but because it fits my passion and love for exploring the outer limits. But some here… Some can (and do) take it or leave it as a mere fascination, curiosity or ego boost…which iften becomes apparent in threads lije this one where affordability is—bombast forbid—a consideration.

For those of us who have sacrificed other luxuries because we truly love this stuff with a passion, it would be great if some of you stuffed shirts would quit with the thoughtless snipes such as this.

Last edited:
I get soooo tired of this thoughtless answer. It assumes anyone driving a nice vehicle has gas money to burn without thought or consideration. Some of you do. Congratulation & good for you. But when people simply dismiss the consideration as beneath them, it exposes a pompous, arrogant attitude that is truly unbecoming.

I get why you’d think that but I think it’s more about Land Cruiser’s having notoriously bad fuel economy. It’s literally the punch line of Land Cruiser jokes.

I get why you’d think that but I think it’s more about Land Cruiser’s having notoriously bad fuel economy. It’s literally the punch line of Land Cruiser jokes.

Obviously its true of Land Cruisers. My objection isn't to the bad mpg we’re all aware of. My objection is to the (thankfully) small percentage here who flippantly throw out these little comments. Those comments reek of arrogant dismissiveness and its never helpful to anyone trying to thoughtfully deal with massively increasing cost of use.

In the words of another 55,000 member Land Cruiser Forum’s guidelines… I would simply ask the people try to heed the simple words, “Don’t be a dick.”

When the retort to those concerned about gas expenses is, “If fuel expense (mpg) bothers you then you have no business driving a LC…” Thats simply being…a dick.

Last edited:
Obviously its true of Land Cruisers. My objection isn't to the bad mpg we’re all aware of. My objection is to the (thankfully) small percentage here who flippantly throw out these little comments. Those comments reek of arrogant dismissiveness and its never helpful to anyone trying to thoughtfully deal with massively increasing cost of use.

In the words of another 55,000 member Land Cruiser Forum’s guidelines… I would simply ask the people try to heed the simple words, “Don’t be a dick.”

When the retort to those concerned about gas expenses is, “If fuel expense (mpg) bothers you them you have no business driving a LC…” Thats simply being…a dick.
But there is literally nothing you can do to a Cruiser other than drive it gingerly to improve mileage.

But there is literally nothing you can do to a Cruiser other than drive it gingerly to improve mileage.

To a stock cruiser…that’s probably true. To a built cruiser, though, removing impediments to external air flow is typically going to make the biggest improvement.

Does it though? Everything I’ve read points to this as a common misconception.
Gas saving ls is minimal based on many reports.

When an engine is running the crankshaft and bearing surfaces are separated by a thin layer of oil. When the car stops, the crackshaft settles on the bearing. On startup, there is more wear due to this. While there are ways to improve durability, and there are lubes that stay on surfaces better, ultimately in a stop/start car, these bearings will wear faster on startup. When you go from one start per drive to 10+ per drive, more wear will occur.

I just don't like my A/C cutting back in the heat, or the slight delay on pressing the pedal.

The additional cost for parts/labor for the start/stop battery and starter (and the sticker price increase) will likely negate the minimal gas savings.

With regard to wear, let's say you start your car 4 times per day, or 14,600 times over ten years. Compare that to the same situation where each trip adds 10 additional start stops per drive or 150,600 start-ups. Even with minimal bearing wear per start-up, more engine wear will occur.

I hate stop start systems but each cycle once warm is a far cry from a cold start in terms of engine wear. Oil is up to temp, plenty of it in the top end of the engine meaning pressure will build almost instantly once the engine gets back to idle.

This is a report of being robbed while getting gas that a friend of mine posted on Facebook yesterday......

"Thanks everyone for your concern....

First off..I am ok.. Im a bit shaken up though.. I was robbed at Sunoco last night ..After my hands stopped trembling..I managed to call the police.. they were quick to respond and calmed me down.. my money is gone.. the police asked me if I knew who did it..I said yes.......

it was pump number 3…"

Lol🫥🫥🫥

Mpg is the biggest reason I’ve avoided safari style racks. With a yakama rail grab and 66” round bars, I can do it all and the rack goes on/off in <5 min. I carry: an RTT, basket, skybox, bikes, skis, firewood, spare tire, dip nets, duck boats, mattresses, ply wood, a 17’ canoe,…. I leave it on all winter with the ski racks but in the summer put it on and off as needed sometimes every weekend.

And wells said @Markuson. You all need to drop the pompous money doesn’t matter if you can afford a LC/LX. I imagine almost no one on here is wiping their … with $100 bills, and at ~$0.50 a mile for gas in these trucks everyone is noticing fuel prices.

I paid $90 to full up from just under 1/4 tank the other day. Compare that to ~$6 in electricity to fill the Tesla 3/4.

Buy a Ram 3500 dually with a car trailer. You will get 17 mpg's towing your Land Cruiser on the trailer and still keep your man card, LOL!

I hate stop start systems but each cycle once warm is a far cry from a cold start in terms of engine wear. Oil is up to temp, plenty of it in the top end of the engine meaning pressure will build almost instantly once the engine gets back to idle.
Agreed, but start-stop systems, regardless of cold or warm increase the number of cycles that take the crankshaft and the bearing half shells through a phase of mixed film lubrication. Starting the engine allows the microscopic peaks on the metal surfaces to contact and cause wear until hydrodynamic lubrication has been reestablished. This is the challenge with these systems, and putting coatings on the contact surface (including iron oxide or rust) has been shown to slow down wear, but not stop it.

If fuel cost is a large concern or you happen to have a fleet of land cruisers you could always hedge your cost will call options. Not technically a fuel saver, but potentially a wallet saver.

If fuel cost is a large concern or you happen to have a fleet of land cruisers you could always hedge your cost will call options. Not technically a fuel saver, but potentially a wallet saver.

Tendies? I like the way you think. 🚀

Only one rocket emoji?? I need to see at least 🚀🚀🚀 in the DD before I buy
I never knew mud had so many autists. You'd think we were chatting behind Wendy's.

Hold them cruisers with 💎👐.

So... uhh... positions or ban?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom