Gas saver (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I wonder if using the ECT 2nd mode will help in city driving? It definitely causes me to accelerate slower.
I have noticed an increase of 1 MPG when using the regular ECT button v. not using anything.
14 to 15 MPG and I have a couple of months worth of driving since doing so.

in my Prius I try to drive in a style so that I am not braking (coast as much as possible, and accelerate as little as possible). On highways getting behind a big rig helps, I think. Tbh, these California gas prices have made me hold off looking at LCs for the time being. Getting a second dd… could very well be more expensive if you factor in the possible depreciation of that vehicle, the opportunity cost of owning it as well as the added insurance.

So far I’ve observed the following:
  • RTT hurts mileage. If you have one, lose the tent
  • Regear seems to have helped… probably cheaper in the near term to just Uber though
  • 200 series isn’t designed for MPG, if that’s a priority, find another solution
  • After 70ish MPH mileage drops, so slow down
  • If you put 3-4 passengers in the car, your MPG per capita improves. Find some friends to bring along for the ride… that helps solve many of life’s problems
YMMV, literally
Plus, another bonus, they can open your beer for you as travel at 55 MPH....

in my Prius I try to drive in a style so that I am not braking (coast as much as possible, and accelerate as little as possible). On highways getting behind a big rig helps, I think. Tbh, these California gas prices have made me hold off looking at LCs for the time being. Getting a second dd… could very well be more expensive if you factor in the possible depreciation of that vehicle, the opportunity cost of owning it as well as the added insurance.

+1 for the Prius and hyper miling techniques. I have a Prius V wagon as my DD / long drive car (for non-road trips). Purchased out of necessity years ago, but now it’s really coming into its element given the current demand for fuel. It’s an absolute road warrior and has proven just as reliable as the LC. The V is also spacious on the inside with decent cargo volume. I bought it with 60k miles and have tacked on 100k more with only routine maintenance.

It’s a shame the original wave of Prius owners were so pretentious and gave the model the widespread stigma it still has today. They’re great little cars with T reliability and the right tool for the daily commute.

Best of luck with the 200 search.

take off the skids - 40lb

That should be something like 400 lbs of weight reduction + some aero gain, and worth at least 1 mpg.
I know you probably aren't being serious, but thinking about this, skids likely help aero to a significant degree.

I know you probably aren't being serious, but thinking about this, skids likely help aero to a significant degree.
The stock skids? If I recall they essentially end at the back of the front wheels. The tranny ladder isn’t aero.
Aftermarket skids might up the aero a lot. Of course the weight penalty goes up a lot too. Probably not enough aero to offset the weight gain.
Ditching seats you never use would work good during the gas price inflation, easily reversed and a lot of weight.
But yeah, I’m mostly not serious no one is reducing their utility with weight reduction unless you’re auto-x-ing

My gas saver is not a LC200 … Don’t want to wear out my LC200 as a DD , my most fuel saving vehicle would be the Yamaha Zuma 125 gets 100+ MPG thats 2 wheels scooter . As far as 4 wheels my 22 Pro 4runner only gets 16 MPG but my 21 Jeep Wrangler JLU rubicon gets 25 MPG but is a Eco diesel even though diesel is 5 bucks a gallon at Sam’s .

The stock skids? If I recall they essentially end at the back of the front wheels. The tranny ladder isn’t aero.
Aftermarket skids might up the aero a lot. Of course the weight penalty goes up a lot too. Probably not enough aero to offset the weight gain.
Ditching seats you never use would work good during the gas price inflation, easily reversed and a lot of weight.
But yeah, I’m mostly not serious no one is reducing their utility with weight reduction unless you’re auto-x-ing

I guess it depends on where you spend your time and want the biggest gain.. in town or freeway.

I was thinking the way the splash guards guide air down under the front cross member would make up for them not being full length. Enough to be noticeable anyway. But this would primarily impact highway mileage, where a small change in weight within a 6k pound truck wouldn’t make a big difference.

I've played with many of the same hypermiling techniques on my wife's EVs over the years. Which are great as they can make a difference of 25% - 50%. Even more is not unheard, but at the extremes, is a nuisance to other traffic.

What I've found is that hypermiling techniques are just as relevant to gas hogs. Results in even greater monetary savings when applied there.

Coming full circle, I don't mind driving my wife's cars hard. They're already so efficient, that the cost of fun is barely more. They also have the advantage of regen to recapture excess acceleration.

Someone said it earlier, I don't really care about gas costs as it's smiles per mile.

^^^What he said. Hypermiling works in any car. Just crank up the tire pressure and drive like a grandma, if you can stand it. It can make a difference of 2-3 mpg over a full tank depending on how you normally drive.

I was so pleased to find that ASS (auto start/stop) feature lacking in our new LC. I’ve shut it off so many times in my daily that it’s now second nature after pressing the start button.
Every time I'm next to one I'm thinking someone stalled next to me when we take off.

It would drive me crazy to own one myself!

Didn't realize you could shut the feature off... @Artie

I work from home and rarely drive the LC so the current gas prices don’t really bother me. My wife drives a Lexus hybrid that gets 45-50 mpg easily.

I bought the 200 for backcountry travel. If we’re going to be mostly on highways then we take my wife’s car.

As others have mentioned, if you’re that worried about mpg you really shouldn’t be anywhere near a Land Cruiser. Every generation has had awful fuel economy. 9-10 mpg is pretty common for me to see on the 200 and it was the same with my 80.

I was so pleased to find that ASS (auto start/stop) feature lacking in our new LC. I’ve shut it off so many times in my daily that it’s now second nature after pressing the start button.

Currently out of town renting a Honda Passport. Disliking the auto start/stop. Combined with the lower torque of Honda's corporate 280HP V6 mill, surely doesn't have the off-the-line confidence and authority of the 5.7L.

Give me back my cruiser mileage be damned.

Side note, even under-geared with 33s, I recall the 5.7L has way more off-the-line torque than many V6s. God bless V8s (or electric augmented drivelines).

It may be vehicle dependent but on my ‘18 Navigator there is a button to disable it.
Most vehicles don't have a permanent off switch. They require you to disable every time you start the car.

I've had many rentals with it and it is annoying as can be.

Most vehicles don't have a permanent off switch. They require you to disable every time you start the car.

I've had many rentals with it and it is annoying as can be.
Yeah. Amazing how ignorant people can be thinking it saves gas or doesn’t create excessive engine and starter wear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom