Gas mileage question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I've been seeing 13s on 34" tires and stock weight, gears, 5-speed transmission.

This is down from a personal best of 16.2 on a long road trip completely stock.

I try to keep between 70-75 depending on the road and speed limit.

01’ on 33” ko2, 2” lift, sliders is only armor

50psi in tires I get 275ish miles when the light comes on so 20gal used = 13.85mpg uncorrected or 14.75mpg correct (times 1.08).

42-45psi is around 245-250 uncorrected
35psi is 225 miles uncorrected.

I got 16.6 mpg at 77 to 80 mph between Odessa to Amarillo TX. After getting my idle rpm fixed by replacing the temperature sensor for ecu, I did 90 miles with 4.9 gallons (full tank of gas and refilled to same level) on the same route.

Before I fixed the temp sensor idle was at 1050 or so and the gas gauge started dropping within first 20-25 miles, and after getting into proper rpm with a new temp sensor, I could do about 40 miles before I see the gas gauge starts coming down.

When the truck was new to me 2 years ago, it did max 14 mpg at 75 mph.

That’s where the problem is, you’re calculating it wrong. You can’t go by the reading on the gauge, you have to go by miles and gallons used.

I get about 300 to 310 miles to a tank of fuel light comes on standard lx 470 stock driving a bit suburban and freeway air conditioning on 50 % of time and normal driving.

*** After getting my idle rpm fixed by replacing the temperature sensor for ecu,****

Which sensor, the one on front water joint or? How did you know it was bad?

That’s where the problem is, you’re calculating it wrong. You can’t go by the reading on the gauge, you have to go by miles and gallons used.

Totally agreed here. The only way to get accurate MPG measurements is to track miles on the odometer (correcting for any non-OEM sized tire) and tracking gallons pumped. Even then, you'll need to track it over a long period (at least 5 tanks, ideally closer to 10) to get any sort of statistical significance. You also need to ensure populations cover all seasons or the same period in the year since ethanol content varies with summer v winter blends.

I use Cargly to track it and have since I bought the LC years ago. I need to update all my files and run some stats analysis on it. I should have like... 75k miles worth of MPG data.

I found a small MPG difference in regular v premium (87 vs 91 at ~5200 ft altitude). If I recall it was around 5-10%. Not enough to offset the cost difference, but I believe it would pass a statistical significance test.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom