Rust opinion - 2001 lx470 low mileage (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
As stated, working on a potential purchase as first time 100 series owner. Been patiently shopping and had a friend (LC enthusiast) say it was not concerning but don’t want to settle and wanted to hear unbiased opinions. Pics are from the owner, it’s a bit of a haul to check this one out so wanted to crowdsource before I went to look. Sorry that pics are medicore (for that reason) and appreciate insight in advance

IMG_3701.jpeg

IMG_3699.jpeg

IMG_3698.jpeg

IMG_3716.jpeg

IMG_3715.jpeg

Frame Looks alright. Just some surface rust. Maybe you'll get find a little more difficulty taking some nuts and bolts off if your servicing stuff yourself. But like.... yea looks alright.

Maybe check the pinch corner of the muffler if you care about that stuff since metal there can be pretty thin.

Talked to owner on phone and he seemed concerned about some of the rusted spots (mostly pictured). He mentioned possibility of having to do cutting if there were repairs needed and potential worries for brake system. Might be worth mentioning he’s not a 100 series fanatic it’s just a vehicle to him.

I planned to have this vehicle being my introduction into doing work on my own and becoming more auto - independent so to speak so I don’t always know exactly what I’m looking at. Is the last photo of any particular concern and can anyone give me a quick brake down of the components that are in that photo?

That appears to be your AHC globe. Your main concerns should be AHC lines, brake lines, and fuel lines. If all those check out, this is not a concerning vehicle. The fact the owner is talking about cutting is crazy to me. I see nothing needed anything like that.

That’s clean by NE standards, not sure what he thinks he’s going to cut out. Follow the brake and AHC lines, check the tranny cooler hard lines.

I’d buy it

It's not that bad. Search for some of my recent posts to see how I use a mini inductor to remove stuck bolts. POR15 will become your friend.

Tools to help. I replaced the fuel tank with one from a Texas Lexus with minimal rust. In your spare time, look out for a replacement tank and/or cover.

1691681596820.png
1691681633816.png
1691681714231.png
1691681824736.png
1691681888875.png
1691678427927.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom