gas in my oil and smoking help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

wileycoyote

Watch this......
Threads
I have a 78 that was hard to start this morning. I finally got it started and it was running rough. I drove it 2 miles down the road and noticef a huge puff / cloud of smoke at the red light. I noticed the oil seems to be leaking out pretty good but here is the kicker.........the oil seems thin and smells strong of gas. I have a Weber Carb and an inline fuel pump. Where should I start on this? Dropped a ring? Head gasket? I'm open for suggestions. Thanks for any help in advance.

The old fuel pumps(attached to the block.. ps side) will leak gas into the oil/crankcase. So if this is the kind you have replace it and change the oil

Since you have an inline fuel pump, is it electric? Is this a stock 2F or a V8 conversion?

it is an electrical inline fuel pump..... weber carb with electric choke....
stock 6 cylinder

Not sure if this helps. On my 78 with a Weber I use a fuel regulator set to 3 lbs. Are you using a regulator? Could too much fuel pressure allow the carb to dump? Maybe someone else will chime in about regulators and Weber carbs.

Sounds to me like bad rings. Do a compression check and post what you come up with. When your rings go bad fuel gets pushed past the piston and ends up in the crankcase, also explains the smoke because oil will also get into the combustion chamber easier and burn.

Sounds to me like the fuel pump ran while the engine was off (key left partially on?) the carburetor flooded and the engine swallowed the gas which severely diluted your oil.:eek: Pull the dipstick and see how much over full your crankcase is. The thin oil will cause your engine to smoke also. The engine should be fine as long as you stop driving it and get the oil/filter changed. Try to find out what caused the pump to run and fix that. My Uncles have a 2 ton truck with an elevated fuel tank that pushed fuel past the needle and seat and filled their entire crankcase with gas :whoops: Fresh oil-change and a ball-valve on the gas tank was their fix. On the bright side consider your crankcase flushed :) You may have a hard time disposing of your gas/oil mixture IIRC some places will not accept ANY gas in the oil.

Wyoming you hit the nail right on the head. Apparently I'm an idiot and left the key on when I got my CD out of the player. I think my fuel pump ran all night so now I'm playing that fun game we call change the oil 247 times. Hope this fixes everything!

How's that pump wired? Seems like it should only run when engine is running to prevent this sort of thing.

yeah i have heard of a dude who had a old jeep, and the fuel pump was jsut running way to high psi and flooded the intake and engine with petrol...

Usually electric fuel pumps should be keyed into the ignition when it is in the on position only.

I would not run it till you drain the oil and then get all the fuel out. Might want to check your compression too, the engines are tough but if you ran the motor hard with ass loads of fuel in it it could have caused damage. I would error on the side of caution and just check it all over.

You could pop on a new mechanical pump and eliminate the problem all together ;)

I would double check the float circuit too, that is the only way the fuel is getting in I would think :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom