Gas/Fuel vapors/fumes visible from gas door (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

There is a vent that runs up next to the fill pipe and exits around the gas cap (well hidden) but not sealed by the filler cap. This is were I have found the large volume of fuel vapors venting from.

I have not removed the fuel cap when there is mass amounts of fuel vapor venting and creating some real neat shadows on the side of the white fender panel. When my rig smells like gas at the filler door, I do not open the gas cap. Unless I am refueling.

There is a vent that runs up next to the fill pipe and exits around the gas cap (well hidden) but not sealed by the filler cap. This is were I have found the large volume of fuel vapors venting from.

I have not removed the fuel cap when there is mass amounts of fuel vapor venting and creating some real neat shadows on the side of the white fender panel. When my rig smells like gas at the filler door, I do not open the gas cap. Unless I am refueling.
Where does that vent come from? The CC? It clearly isn't from the main tank volume or there would be no point to the fill cap having control of vacuum and pressure as it does.

Any idea if the diesel fuel line coolers can be adapted?
Screenshot_20230723-163445.png

That would be convenient

Any idea if the diesel fuel line coolers can be adapted?
View attachment 3381783

That would be convenient
Not easily. I'm not totally sure but the diagrams suggest it mounts in the V of the engine, where we don't have easy room, and those use engine coolant which would be higher temps than we need to run.

Might be better to try and find a fluid/fluid cooler that has simple flat mounting on one side that we can try to stick on the frame, and lines pointing out another side that can easily be adapted to the lines along that frame, with new water/coolant lines along the frame to the front for the pump and heat exchanger.

Where does that vent come from? The CC? It clearly isn't from the main tank volume or there would be no point to the fill cap having control of vacuum and pressure as it does.
Yes, it comes from the CC.

I've started collecting some items...

1000015352.jpg

I've started collecting some items...

View attachment 3616624

I removed my budbuilt fuel skid in hopes the OEM skid traps less heat. It must. The budbuilt didn't have a mark on it from wheeling so I'm not feeling less protected if after all the wheeling I did, it never got hit. Now the 80 gets the tough stuff and the 200 gets the long trips and camping. If I were to do The Maze again, it would be in the 200 and so will LCDC of course, so this is still very relevant even if my protection needs underneath are less extreme.

So now I have a whole new charcoal canister and am back to original fuel tank skid. I'll see how it goes over the next month or so while temps move into the triple digits. Next step will be drilling out 1" holes in the budbuilt skid in the area of the cats to give them some ventilation. If that doesn't cut it, I'll be following in your footsteps by end of August.

I removed my budbuilt fuel skid in hopes the OEM skid traps less heat. It must. The budbuilt didn't have a mark on it from wheeling so I'm not feeling less protected if after all the wheeling I did, it never got hit. Now the 80 gets the tough stuff and the 200 gets the long trips and camping. If I were to do The Maze again, it would be in the 200 and so will LCDC of course, so this is still very relevant even if my protection needs underneath are less extreme.

So now I have a whole new charcoal canister and am back to original fuel tank skid. I'll see how it goes over the next month or so while temps move into the triple digits. Next step will be drilling out 1" holes in the budbuilt skid in the area of the cats to give them some ventilation. If that doesn't cut it, I'll be following in your footsteps by end of August.
Please share who does the drillig for you, if you don't DIY. I think I'll be on the Swiss standard with you, soon enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom