Builds FZJ80 + Taco 6 speed + Orion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

These are my "notes"... these posts and pictures, that is.

Most flywheels for light trucks range in the 30 - 40 lb area. I've seen a few from school bus/dump truck type vehicles that are up around 50lbs+! As mentioned, with low gears and a strong engine, it should be about the right weight.

alkaline747trio said:
Dude...I'm only 16! :flipoff2:

At 16 you're in a perfect position to get on the path toward learning machining.
There's been a CNC revolution in metalworking in the last decade or so that's made the traditional lathe, mill, precision grind, and all time honored techniques and skills out of date.

You go learn the stuff they're doing now and you'll be able to do things that were near impossible expensive for any of us that could think of them.

Right now all you need is an idea for that flywheel, say, and the ability to render it in a machine friendly program. Then the machines they're using can spit out your idea in a few hours. Perfectly machined and complex as you like. Imagine working in a place where you could grab a little free machine time when you had a project of your own. Or maybe when you're a few years older used machines will be available for low prices. (some of the stuff they're using now costs upward of a quarter million new)

EDM (electro displacement machining - like a tiny lazer controlled cutting torch) is only one of the processes and new ones are coming all the time. for an old world machinist/hobbyist like me it's plumb amazing and if I had it to do again I'd be making ways to get to engineering and computer aided machining as a career choice so that when I had things to mess around with like this one I'd know to do it myself without having to go to other people with my hat in my hand hoping for help.

Great project, bjowett! A 6 speed low geared 80 - lemme' know when you're bored with it!

honk said:
At 16 you're in a perfect position to get on the path toward learning machining.
There's been a CNC revolution in metalworking in the last decade or so that's made the traditional lathe, mill, precision grind, and all time honored techniques and skills out of date.

You go learn the stuff they're doing now and you'll be able to do things that were near impossible expensive for any of us that could think of them.

Right now all you need is an idea for that flywheel, say, and the ability to render it in a machine friendly program. Then the machines they're using can spit out your idea in a few hours. Perfectly machined and complex as you like. Imagine working in a place where you could grab a little free machine time when you had a project of your own. Or maybe when you're a few years older used machines will be available for low prices. (some of the stuff they're using now costs upward of a quarter million new)

EDM (electro displacement machining - like a tiny lazer controlled cutting torch) is only one of the processes and new ones are coming all the time. for an old world machinist/hobbyist like me it's plumb amazing and if I had it to do again I'd be making ways to get to engineering and computer aided machining as a career choice so that when I had things to mess around with like this one I'd know to do it myself without having to go to other people with my hat in my hand hoping for help.

Great project, bjowett! A 6 speed low geared 80 - lemme' know when you're bored with it!

Good advice. You might even consider going for a Mechanicacl Engineering degree.

bjowett said:
Does anyone have some idea's?

Email me with some specs, I may have some solutions for you... We (the U if U) have quite a bit of gear cutting stuff (EDM, etc). We are currently working on a set of helical gears for our Mini-Baja car... :D

EDIT: looks like you already got it taken care of... looks sweet! The offer still stands if you run into a need for any other complex machining/manufacturing :D

Last edited:
Now we're really getting somewhere! RA60 6 speed meets Orion. Note the neatest (IMO) part of this adapter it that it also contains the shifter. It also acepts the stock mount on the bottom, just like the stock FZJ adapter.

P1010504_0.JPG

....close up of the stock RA60 tail housing with adapter...

P1010508_0.JPG

Last edited:
drooooollllll....Man I can't wait to see that in your truck.

bjowett said:
Now we're really getting somewhere! RA60 6 speed meets Orion. Note the neatest (IMO) part of this adapter it that it also contains the shifter. It also acepts the stock mount on the bottom, just like the stock FZJ adapter.

P1010504_0.JPG

....close up of the stock RA60 tail housing with adapter...

P1010508_0.JPG

how long is that?

bjowett said:
I don't recall off the top of my head... measurements for you late Friday...

thanks

rusty_tlc said:
Good advice. You might even consider going for a Mechanicacl Engineering degree.

Quite oddly enough, that is what I want to do. Have thought about metal working, and might even pursue that. I'm kinda set for it, I do great with computers, and can fabricate the things I need when I have the proper resources...

BTW, this project is awesome! Why hadn't anyone else done this before? I'm guessing cause nobody has the balls like a MUDder does!

Length from bellhousing to end of main t-case housing is 35.75", this dosn't include the rear output shaft retainer/output flange... you'll need a couple more inches for those. The same measurement on the stock A442F w/ full time case is 35".

Remember, this came from a 2WD truck...A 4x4 transmission would knock 3+ inches off this. There are other places to lose some length if required. This route was chosen for mine in an attempt to match the overall length of the stock assembly.

sweet sweet dude, looks awesome, hope it works well!

Brian,

As I've said before - you are incredible! I am speachless with what you have done. I'm used to fabricating what ever it is that I need - but you have taken it to another level. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom