Builds FZJ80 + Taco 6 speed + Orion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'll agree with the others... you are the fabrication master! Nice work so far.

The flywheel blew me away... and now the transfer case adapter is very very nice.

Can't wait to see this rig completed.

Brian - again absolutely awesome. Can't wait to see it.

Sweet man, when i saw the 3.0L Syncro Corrado in your Sig, i knew that you wherent messing around.. cant wait to see the final outcome of this badboy...

this tread makes my fab work look like poop!

B, any updates?????????. . . . . . . . . . . . we're dieing over here.....

Yeah, no one here has given you any head since the last pics..

Post up.

;)

If I was you, I would patent your designs, and then sell them to somebody like Advance Adapters.

Last edited:
impressive machine work here for sure.

honk said:
EDM (electro displacement machining - like a tiny lazer controlled cutting torch) is only one of the processes and new ones are coming all the time. for an old world machinist/hobbyist like me it's plumb amazing and if I had it to do again I'd be making ways to get to engineering and computer aided machining as a career choice so that when I had things to mess around with like this one I'd know to do it myself without having to go to other people with my hat in my hand hoping for help.

Great project, bjowett! A 6 speed low geared 80 - lemme' know when you're bored with it!

EDM is actually Electric Discharge Machining. sorry to be a picker of nits in my first post in the hardcore section but i feel it's important in this case. cutting splines would be wire EDM; better compared to a really precise band saw where the blade is actually a smooth, consumable, wire that arcs (sparks) to your work piece. the spark erodes the metal little by little. there are other kinds of EDM machines, the only one i'm familiar with is a plunging EDM. i've seen them used to make impossibly small holes down to .003" or so in ball bearings and remove tiny drill bits that broke in the hole

i'll second the recommendation to lean towards mechanical engineering. it's such a broad discipline. had i the opportunity to do it all over again i'd get my materials emphasis learn to use the CNC machines we had in the shop.... hidnsight

enough blabbering, excellent project!

baldredhead said:
...EDM is actually Electric Discharge Machining. sorry to be a picker of nits in my first post in the hardcore section but i feel it's important in this case. cutting splines would be wire EDM; better compared to a really precise band saw where the blade is actually a smooth, consumable, wire that arcs (sparks) to your work piece. the spark erodes the metal little by little. there are other kinds of EDM machines, the only one i'm familiar with is a plunging EDM. i've seen them used to make impossibly small holes down to .003" or so in ball bearings and remove tiny drill bits that broke in the hole...

Great descriptions... we have both a wire & plunge EDM at the UofU (I will grab some pics). The wire will cut anything on a ruled surface, including tapered splines (such as a pitman), really cool technology. The U is also working on a EDM design of their own using a substantial grant, pretty cool project, but I chose the Mini-Baja instead ;) :D

i did FSAE too, but mini baja was great fun. we were doing ok till we were rear ended in the race.... turns out that trees aren't too soft and even over built suspension components bend when you hit them hard enough :D since when is kansas in the west? WTF, we didn't even consider sticky mud for our car. nevemind, i'm not bitter

Soooooooo, what's up? Sorry, just can't wait. And what is the deal with the motor rebuild?

We got questions, you got answers. :)

Toyoland66 said:
That is way beyond badass, I can't wait to see how it turns out

:eek: I just read all four pages of this thread with bated breath. This is a wonderfully thought out and beautifully executed project. Can't wait for the big finale!

:cheers:

ttt

I just read what you are doing and am amazed!!! I did an auto to standard conversion on my other truck, but you make that project look like a cake walk... I bet a 6 speed in an 80 will be the coolest thing ever... Drool!!!

Im sure you have this covered, but it crossed my mind when I read the last 4 pages. Have you made sure that masterpiece of a flywheel is the correct ballance? I know on all the small block ford engines I have built, if the imballance of the flywheel/flexplate is incorrect for the block, the engine shakes like crazy... The incorrect rotating mass makes the crank shake soooo bad that the engine blows apart...

I will be reading this till the end.... its like an amazing book I just dont want to put down :)

Cheers
Bob

Fortunately, inline 6 cylinder engines have perfect primary and secondary balance. Thus, they don't require a balance shaft or special flywheels. The flywheel was machined and shipped out for regular old balance to eliminate vibes... it should be good to go. Thanks for the concern!

At this point I would like to thank folks for the compliments... it's nice to hear em'. To be honest though, it is not the real reason I share this stuff. I just like to show folks what can be done at home.... This world has become so hands off, you can't, what if? Who cares, go out and do it...if it get's someone under their truck with a wrench for the first time to change their oil, it will make me happy.

bjowett said:
Fortunately, inline 6 cylinder engines have perfect primary and secondary balance. Thus, they don't require a balance shaft or special flywheels. The flywheel was machined and shipped out for regular old balance to eliminate vibes... it should be good to go. Thanks for the concern!

At this point I would like to thank folks for the compliments... it's nice to hear em'. To be honest though, it is not the real reason I share this stuff. I just like to show folks what can be done at home.... This world has become so hands off, you can't, what if? Who cares, go out and do it...if it get's someone under their truck with a wrench for the first time to change their oil, it will make me happy.

Its good to hear that. Its hard to get people off there ass just to wheel let alone wrench, or to create somthing new...Keep up the good work. You are offsetting the wussyness of 80 owners rather well:D :princess:

lowtideride said:
You are offsetting the wussyness of 80 owners rather well:D :princess:

Hey now you bastid, you got two 80's now don't you? :flipoff2: :flamingo:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom