Builds FZJ80 + Taco 6 speed + Orion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

that thing it sexxy i want one

Very nice brian, i cant wait to hear about this project once its all done.

Now you just need to setup things to start doing this for others and charging them......
i would kill to have that engine/tranny

Speaking of high prices, has anyone ever priced having a single custom gear cut and splined? Yeooooowwch! The best price to come along so far is $1400, for a single one-off gear... and that is with my local shop supplying the billet blank... then there is the heat treating, which hasn't been priced yet.

Impure thoughts of cutting the center from one gear and press fitting it into the center of the Orion input gear are creeping into my head.

Does anyone have some idea's?

Ok, the problem should be solved. The Orion 16 spline input gear is being sent to a company that will cut the 19 spline pattern into the center. The 19 spline is obvious larger, and there is enough meat in the center of the 16 spline piece to recut it. I forgot what they called the process, but it sounded similar to a CNC Plasma process.

SOOOOO, anyone out there that wants to place an Orion where a split case now resides, drop me a note. I can have the input gear splined to fit the shaft. :D

bjowett said:
Ok, the problem should be solved. The Orion 16 spline input gear is being sent to a company that will cut the 19 spline pattern into the center. The 19 spline is obvious larger, and there is enough meat in the center of the 16 spline piece to recut it. I forgot what they called the process, but it sounded similar to a CNC Plasma process.

SOOOOO, anyone out there that wants to place an Orion where a split case now resides, drop me a note. I can have the input gear splined to fit the shaft. :D

Guessing they would machine out the centre then use a broaching tool to make the new splines?

Rob

No maching here... the inner and outer spline diameters along with number and pitch are programmed into the machine, then it shoots a little electronic beam and cuts/traces it out. Fast and easy... minimal heating of the part. I will find out more if you are interested....?

yeah that sounds really wild, makes sence instead of having one tool that can only preform one very specific operation

Plasma etch is very precision. It has been used in the electronics industry for many years to "electroform" EMF shields amd housings. As bjowett mentioned there is minimul heating compared to laser milling or conventional tooling.

Ahhhh... wire EDM, that's it! It was not explained to me very well... they just said electronic, low heat, and ED somthing, no wire mentioned. My appologies for any confusion.

Plasma etch sounds much cooler...

The gear has been cut to fit the 44 spline input shaft... now on to the adapter!

P1010537_0.JPG

Last edited:
That is sick sick sick....one of the coolest builds so far brotha... not as extreme but I am putting a 5 speed in my 80 and it would open the door to a toy box....H55F/Toy combo..... good luck with everything but it doesnt look like you'll need it

That rocks..

Nice work :)

I'm pretty sure lowtide is planning on putting the H55 in his...I may soon follow in his footsteps after he paves the way (too young and foolish with too shallow of pockets to go diving into a project like that without guidance or somthing to follow). I am liking this project, keep up the good work and keep us posted!

alkaline747trio said:
I'm pretty sure lowtide is planning on putting the H55 in his...I may soon follow in his footsteps after he paves the way (too young and foolish with too shallow of pockets to go diving into a project like that without guidance or somthing to follow). I am liking this project, keep up the good work and keep us posted!

Hey dude...im only 21 :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom