FZJ80 Lift Questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

RocketCityCrzrs

Supporting Vendor
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.rocketcitycruisers.com
Guys, i have been fighting with my 80 ever since i put the lift on, for reference i used the OME 2". I had a bad vibration and humming noise coming from under the truck from about 30mph+. I did some research here and found most people were suggesting the OME front control arm bushing offset kit (OMECA77B) which i installed and that seemed to fix the front end vibration. So one issue down, but i am still getting a lot of driveline vibration from the rear end, which i have isolated by pulling the rear shaft out. I have already done U Joints and had the shaft balanced but to no avail. I have done the trans mount as well but that didnt change any thing. The rear flanges are level with the ground so i dont think i need adjustable rear upper control arms but maybe. I talked with the folks at SLEE yesterday and he said i probably need a new rear driveshaft and recommended going OE toyota but i was just unsure what that would fix if the UJoints are new.

While i am picking brains, my truck leans to the left about 1.5". Have seen 1" spacers to help fix that, but the guy at SLEE said that i have the springs installed on the wrong side. The OME springs i bought werent labeled left and right so i was confused. Anyone know anything about whether they are side specific?

How many miles?

You can get bad vibrations from the rear tcase output bearing. Often accompanied by a rear output seal leak.

You shouldn't need rear control arms with a 2".

It sounds like your OME springs are on the wrong side. The taller spring goes on the driver's side.

they are side specific, should be labeled driver and passenger, and thats for a rhd truck so its backwards for us. id get the springs on the correct side and go from there

Well that seems like that is what is wrong with the lean then.
Shibubba truck has 244k on the odo. EDIT* I didn't read your post right and thought you were referencing the rear third, not the tcase. Need my coffee.
Just went and looked and I don't have any leaks at the tcase, is there a way to check the bearing?

Last edited:
Are the fronts springs side specific as well or just rear?
Yes, front and rear are side specific. If I recall they are labeled A and B.
I forget which is which but you can look on Slee website to confirm.

Taller spring always goes to driver side. Not a huge difference, need to really look.

Yes, front and rear are side specific. If I recall they are labeled A and B.
I forget which is which but you can look on Slee website to confirm.

B goes on drivers side NA cruisers and A on passengers side check your springs and your rebuilt drive lines, are the phased correctly ? if a shop did them take it back it's bad JMHO

In the USA the battery, driver & fuel tank is on same side. The 10mm taller coils go on the heavier side.
2" of lift should not create vibration unless you have stuff that is worn out which seems to be the issue.

It is very possible when you get the springs on the correct side, the vibration would go away. The caster on one side is not the same as on the other side. It may even sit shorter WB on one side vs the other.

Normally with a 2" lift you don't get vibration and in some cases you might not even need caster correction.

I tend to agree with you guys as far as the vibration is probably just exacerbated by the lift due to worn out items, just not sure where to look other than tcase or drive shafts. The control arm bushings are new front and rear, so are shocks and sway bar linkage. In my limited knowledge of drive shafts, I just assumed the only wear item was the ujoint.
Tom woods shafts or just suck it up and spend the money on new oem?

I tend to agree with you guys as far as the vibration is probably just exacerbated by the lift due to worn out items, just not sure where to look other than tcase or drive shafts. The control arm bushings are new front and rear, so are shocks and sway bar linkage. In my limited knowledge of drive shafts, I just assumed the only wear item was the ujoint.
Tom woods shafts or just suck it up and spend the money on new oem?

While i am picking brains, my truck leans to the left about 1.5". Have seen 1" spacers to help fix that, but the guy at SLEE said that i have the springs installed on the wrong side. The OME springs i bought werent labeled left and right so i was confused. Anyone know anything about whether they are side specific?

Why don't you start with the obvious? Fix the side to side lift discrepancy first, then move on to something else.

I have a feeling that once you swap your springs around next weekend 99% of your problems will disappear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom