FZJ80 Air Filter (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Could rename this thread to Filters.

Last edited:
Could rename this thread to Filters.

This may be super simple, but after purchasing my 80 and going 2k miles on a long trip and through fire zones, I decided to pop the air box the other day and discovered a gnarly OEM air filter. Took that out and put in a standard STP air filter that fit fine from the parts store and since then the truck can actually breathe.

Just wondering if there is any risk of running a $15 standard STP paper filter over OEM? I looked at a Wix yesterday at my parts store and that thing seemed like it was built so much better. But so far this does the job and was well priced.
You can get OEM quality Denso air filters delivered to your door for roughly the same cost.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000C5WB96/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Dirty filters filter better

Yep. If you are worried about it, install a Filter Minder. The factory cyclonic setup is very efficient, as long as the tuna can is emptied, they go a longtime. I live and often wheel in the dusty desert, also end up in burn areas pretty regular, and it easily goes ~30K miles before needing cleaning. So even wheeling ~100 days a year, 2yrs is probably early for checking it, messing with it is likely getting more dirt into the motor than leaving it alone. Now, knowing how long they last, wont be buying the cleanable filter, the Denso disposable are what ~$10.

minder-jpg.399965

When you changed your air filter, did you remember to empty your tuna can too?

OEM is washable so can't go wrong there I lived in the Sahara so having the ability to wash often and not have to replace regularly was great if it's really dusty carry a spare

After driving some diesels now for a bit, I have moved away from the washable filter and moved to the 17801-68020 non-washable style.

The element is significantly different and is spec'ed for harsh use diesels.

FYI Amazon says it’s a Denso filter but a Wix showed up in a Wix box….
Return it if they sent the wrong one, the three times I’ve ordered it was Denso filter in a Denso box.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom