Fuzz's build thread. Never thought I'd see the day! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TheFuzz

Twinkie, Twinkie, Cupcake
Threads
Fuzz's build thread

Ok, so it's not really "built" yet...in fact it's nowhere near done, but you have to start somewhere...and the transformation that has taken place over the last few days is pretty exciting. Special thanks to Loud for lending me his tools, his time, and his relentless strings of mockery and laughter while watching me work on my truck. :flipoff2: Plus, people have been bugging me to come clean about the little "oops" that occured a couple months ago, so I'll spill the beans here shortly. Read on.

The basics of the story are typical. Got the crusier bug towards the end of last summer and started scouring 'Mud for information. Started out looking at 80's, but decided on the 100 because of the extra creature comforts and V8 :)princess: and two munchkins make you prioritize some funny things sometimes). I found a black and tan 2000 at a local dealership with 134K on it, and snapped it up. In retrospect I probably should have held out for a car that wasn't from the rust belt...more on that later...but I LOVE my rig. I'll drive it until it dies - or more likely, until it falls apart. :hillbilly:

Starting at the beginning, here she is in stock trim, fresh from Mountain States Toyota:
IMG_20101018_102859.jpg

Word to the wise, never test drive/inspect a car at night. I missed several chips in the windshield and the rear of the interior was covered in very fine pet hair that couldn't be seen unless in bright sunlight. "It's already been detailed...", yeah, my a$$ it has. :mad: Small issues in the long run, but had I seen them at the dealership, they would have been addressed before taking delivery.

First mod, those running boards had to be loosed....
IMG_20101211_155334.jpg

After that, I decided that the stock Michelins were no longer required. Out with them, and in with some 305-70 Goodyear Duratracs.
DT3.jpg

DT4.jpg

I ran it that way for a couple of months, until I had a bit of an "OH :censor:......:doh:" moment. While pulling out from my house, I bent over to pick something up, and took the steering wheel with me as I bent over. I managed to drift the passenger front corner of the truck right into my neighbor's 97 Tahoe. The Duratracs climbed right up her running boards and planted the front corner of the Hundy sqaure into her drivers side door. Boy was that an embarassing conversation at their front door. My first accident in 10 years, and only the second one in my entire life. Here is the result:
IMG_20110311_134015.jpg

USAA came out and did an estimate for me. Fender, bumper, corner light, headlight trim, front of the passenger side front door...they wrote up EVERY little scratch, and cut me a check for $2200. I took it to the body shop, told them to fix the fender and light, and leave everything else alone. Pocketed about $1000 of the payout, and promptly ordered an 03-07 ARB deluxe combo bar from my buddy at 4 wheel parts. He was about $100 cheaper than anyone else, but one week turned into two, two weeks turned into a month...all told, I had to wait for 2 months for the thing to come direct from ARB/Oz. I won't be doing that again. Now, I know that sliders would have probably been a better investment, but an ARB bumper is a rather big-ticket item, so I figured that with my modest salary I might as well order it while I can.

While waiting around rocking the "no front bumper" look, I decided to throw a few more little things on the Hundy. Trevor (Isotel) from Crawlorado needed a 100 series as a guinea pig for his new hood blackouts, so I shot down to the 'Springs one day and brainstormed with him. His initial measurements were pretty much spot on, so after a few very minor design tweaks we slapped the finished product on my truck:
Blackout4.jpg

Works great to reduce glare!
Blackout5.jpg

I also ordered an interior LED package from Paul, which turned out to be great (plenty of interior shots in the LED Madness thread - not going to bother putting them up here). Along with that I ordered a 55w 4500K HID kit from DDM tuning.

Stock:
IMG_20110406_155717.jpg

HID:
IMG_20110406_155709.jpg

Here's a comparison in broad daylight:
IMG_20110406_155657.jpg

What a dramatic difference!

Around this time I also started the process of converting the outside lights to all-LED. Those funky vertical parking lamps next to the main headlight reflectors had to be changed due to the HID kit going in...I didn't want amber turn signals, yellowish-white parking lamps and bright white HID...it would be too busy. So, I decided to change the vertical lamps to amber LED. Bought a set of these:
IMG_20110408_140043.jpg

And it cleaned up the front quite a bit...no more multicolor stuff going on. I thought about going with white LEDs, but I didn't want them to be mis-matched to the HID kit. This looks cleaner IMO. The shades of amber don't look spot on in the picture, but they are very close in person.
IMG_20110408_195144.jpg

Last edited:
Ok ok, enough of the piddly crap. Finally the ARB came in, so with the help of Loud and one of his friends, the fun began this week. Planning on leveling the truck a bit, we started with some Slee 30mm coil spacers in the back. Those were a bit of a PITA to wedge in there, but with the tires removed, Loud essentially standing on the rear axle for max droop, and me using my super-duper man-arms :)lol:) to compress the spring a little, we got them back in with the spacers neatly planted on top.

(by the way, when you need to drop the rear axle but don't have a lift, a forklift works wonders! Jackstands and safety locks employed, of course...)
IMG_20110530_151410.jpg

Post-spacer install, still sans front bumper:
IMG_20110530_165432.jpg

The following day, we started on the ARB. Not an easy install. After about 5 1/2 hours, a few scraped knuckles, several fitment issues, and numerous strings of profanity from all three of us, we got the thing lined up, bolted on and pinned in minus the lights and wing inserts for the fog lamps and the splash guard, which I finished the following day. By the way, even after soaking the three front skid plate bolts in PB Blaster for about an hour, two out of three of them sheared off when trying to pull them out. If you have a rust belt truck, use extreme care when removing them...and if possible, hit them with a torch or something to help loosen them up. No pics of the actual install process for the ARB as we were waaay to interested in just getting the damn thing on.

Finished product:
IMG_20110601_130515.jpg

Here is where I realized I might have an issue with the OEM torsion bars....
IMG_20110531_192548.jpg

Holy stinkbug, batman! That extra 150 pounds hanging off the front of the truck really shows you what kind of condition the t-bars are in...and mine are pretty shot. The next day I busted out the jack and started cranking on the adjustment bolts, hoping to regain that lost height and maybe lift it up a little to level it with the rear. Not happening. After a little less than 4 turns, the drivers side bolt was maxed out. :doh:

It's better, but barely back up to stock height. It may have even settled more since yesterday.
IMG_20110601_125941.jpg

Re-indexing the t-bars was more than I was ready to tackle yesterday, so I left it as-is. [STRIKE]Besides, these t-bars are obviously pretty worn out...if I'm going to go through all of that work to pull em out, some OME or Iron Man bars are going in in their place.[/STRIKE] [I have since found out that while the OEM torsion bars are in fact pretty tired, re-indexing is an inexpensive way to gain alot more lift, and they can handle the weight of the ARB just fine]

It really is amazing how much a touch of lift and that ARB up front changed the look of the truck. It will look even better when some new t-bars are installed and I can get the front up another couple of inches, but for now I'm pleased.

Still on the way (not necessarily in order):

Diff Drop
ARB lockers
Sliders (probably BIO)
Rear bumper/tire carrier (probably Slee)
Drawers of some flavor, probably home built
PC the wheels
[STRIKE]Tint[/STRIKE] - Done
Stereo
Lots of other things that I'm forgetting about

More to come!

Last edited:
Fuzz - Black and Tans have been a favorite of mine for quite some time. Especially around St. Paddy's Day! :D

The truck is looking very nice!

Can't reserve this one! :flipoff2: looking good, Fuzz, and great to meet you last night man. :cheers:

Whatever man. :flipoff2:

Great meeting you too, looking forward to the run on the 22nd and many more after that!

LJ, The truck still feels fine but thats all the lift I have...with lift coils plus the spacers, the dynamics of the rear end could change quite a bit. I intend on pulling the spacers out and just running coils when I get to that point.

very nice, love the black. I almost bought a black 100.

Regarding your 03-07 combo, are you pleased with the fender/body gap, is it noticeable at all? I too like the newer ARB over the older one but I understand there is more of a gap and am curious if you even notice it. I will eventually buy a front bumper, just not sold on which one yet.

Been waiting for your build thread for a while. Great job so far. You and I are basically at the same stage in our builds (maybe I need to start a build thread). And it is amazing what a little bit of lift and a front bumper will do for one of these things. Sub'd.

Whatever man. :flipoff2:

Great meeting you too, looking forward to the run on the 22nd and many more after that!

LJ, The truck still feels fine but thats all the lift I have...with lift coils plus the spacers, the dynamics of the rear end could change quite a bit. I intend on pulling the spacers out and just running coils when I get to that point.

I call first dibs on the coil spacers when you get rid of them! :D

I currently have 866's, adding a 1" BL and the rear coil spacers should give me room for 36" like wildsmith has on his rig:D

Now to save up for tbars!

very nice, love the black. I almost bought a black 100.

Regarding your 03-07 combo, are you pleased with the fender/body gap, is it noticeable at all? I too like the newer ARB over the older one but I understand there is more of a gap and am curious if you even notice it. I will eventually buy a front bumper, just not sold on which one yet.

It's really not that noticeable, certainly not any more so than any other aftermarket bumpers. In fact, we initially had it tucked up SO close to the fenders that Loud was afraid that the body/frame would flex off road and make the bumper hit the fenders, so we backed it off a little. This is the first I've heard of a bigger gap with the 03+ Combo...there is plenty of adjustment built into the setup so that you can tweak it how you want to before drilling the permanent mount holes. All we did was trim off the bottom of the frame horns, thats about the only variation from the 98-02 bumpers IIRC. Everything else is the same I think. With the built in high-lift points and other updates, I see no reason to go with the older one unless you really aren't planning on keeping the truck - cutting the frame horns is a semi-permanent modification unless you keep the tabs and have them welded back on for de-modding. I will snap a close up of the gap for you when I get a second.

Been waiting for your build thread for a while. Great job so far. You and I are basically at the same stage in our builds (maybe I need to start a build thread). And it is amazing what a little bit of lift and a front bumper will do for one of these things. Sub'd.

Thanks man. Now I just gotta paint my wheels...been wanting to do that for a while, I'm just debating on PC vs rattlecan. I think that there is someone around here that will do them for $50/ea, I have to double check. I'm very pleased with the look of the rig so far though - just gotta get the front end up a little more.

I call first dibs on the coil spacers when you get rid of them! :D

I currently have 866's, adding a 1" BL and the rear coil spacers should give me room for 36" like wildsmith has on his rig:D

Now to save up for tbars!

Tbars and coils are next for me too, I think. I was going to do the sliders first and get them out of the way, but with the OEM tbars sagging as badly as they are, I think I need to address that first and just pick less technical trails for the time being to avoid rocker damage. If I add any more weight to this thing the front tires are going to be rubbing the fenders! :lol:

When I ditch the spacers, they're yours. :cheers:

(it's not gonna be any time soon though, those things were a bit of a bitch to get in! ;))

Last edited:
Fuzz - Black and Tans have been a favorite of mine for quite some time. Especially around St. Paddy's Day! :D

The truck is looking very nice!

Thanks man! Black and Tans are yummy, but alas...no more drinking for me. Trying to avoid that stuff, it makes me feel stooooopid the next day. I'm a lame old fart now, I know. :rolleyes:

Ditch the spacers, get tbars and springs:D lol much needed based on your pics:D

Don't be hatin' on the stinkbug, man. :flipoff2:

this is gay....

Looks good, come along way. Next time leave the steering wheel

:flipoff2:

this is gay....

Looks good, come along way. Next time leave the steering wheel

:flipoff2:

Ha, yeah I nominated myself for Derp of the Year for that one...but I got the ARB out of the deal. Now someone just needs to rear-end the thing at a red light and I'm set.

"promptly ordered an 03-07 ARB deluxe combo bar from my buddy at 4 wheel parts. He was about $100 cheaper than anyone else, but one week turned into two, two weeks turned into a month...all told, I had to wait for 2 months for the thing to come direct from ARB/Oz"

Wow, 2 months?!! Crap, maybe I should've ordered from another dealer. I just ordered mine last week and I was told a week and a half! I wonder if that's the standard line. Did you call them regularly to check up on it? Now I'm worried I won't have a ride for the summer.

By the way, nice build.

They said that there were none available in the country when I ordered it, but they had already ordered a few to replenish their stock. So, my buddy put my name on a backorder transfer so one would have my name on it as soon as it arrived at the distribution warehouse in Texas. There were 3 or 4 coming in from Oz IIRC, not sure how many are spoken for but you might be ok.

I was told that it would be coming directly from ARB, nothing specific if they had one in stock or not. Too, I ordered the Sahara, so maybe they have it. I'll check today on the status. Thanks

Looks good! I love the look of black Cruisers, now you just need some tint and black wheels to top it off

And I feel ya on the waiting for someone to rear end me... Been riding around for 6 months with a dent in my rear hoping someone will hit me so I can put the money toward a beefier bumper :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom