Future Club HAMster's, unite! HAM Test Challenge Date, APR22. (2 Viewers)

Are you interested in the HAM Test on April 22nd?

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

First impromptu lunch session to review progress held today (3 of us), and we're about 3 weeks out from the test date. Ill be posting some challenges for anyone hoping to get their Technician license on Apr22, so watch for updates. We also discussed holding a study group one of these weekends, so post back or PM if interested in that.

In a few weeks, I'll be calling for confirmed test subjects to forward a list to the VE test station. Think about it, keep studying, and good luck to all as you fill your brains with something new!

Three weeks out is still in the "sweet spot" if you're on the fence,

I am Working on Ham Test Online... I am studying it and TAKING Practice Test After Practice Test when I have free time... Best score right now is 91%... So I am getting a good grasp of the material I guess...?? Shooting for the April 22nd Date... I was working today and would not have been able to make the Impromptu lunch... Sorry about that!!!

Last edited:
What score is needed to pass the exam?

75% is a passing grade.

Alright - Quick update, a challenge, and some proven study tips;

1) We're 3 weeks out from the Test Date of April 22! That's still plenty of time for someone who may be on the fence and wants to get their Technician License but isn't sure about their ability to pass the 35 question test. Trust me, that's plenty of time. Check the first post for the study guide links and work diligently and we can all pass together on the 22nd.

B) The challenge I'm posing this week is for anyone who's studying for the test - post up your best Practice Test Result throughout the week. It should be a screenshot, but we'll take your word for anything less than 100%... As the internet meme goes; 'pics, or it didn't happen'!

III) Pro Study Tip: as proposed by @Otter (*and others) at the beginning, study the test questions - not the material. The test questions (378 by last count) are the panel you need to know the answers to for the 35 questions you'll be asked on test day. Here are some common themes;
  • There are 80 inches in 2 meters
  • MICE - Magnetic is Inductance / Capacitance is Electric
  • Radio Frequency has 2 components - Electro-Magnetic
  • 50 Ohm is the standard for most HAM cabling
  • CW is International Morse Code and is always low within the band, along with data
  • 300/Mhz = meters (band)
  • CFHI - Capacitance = Farad / Henry = Inductance (units of measure)
  • The Eagle, The Indian, and The Rabbit - This came from the Hamstudy.org site and makes the formulas for Voltage, Current, and Resistance, as follows;
    • V = I * R
    • I = V / R
    • R = V / I
  • The trick here is to imagine Voltage (V) as the 'Eagle', Current (I) as the 'Indian', and Resistance (R) as the 'Rabbit'. Anytime that Voltage is in the equation, it will be above the other variable, i.e., the 'Eagle' will always be OVER the Indian or the Rabbit (*and therefore divided by that variable). Conversely, anytime the Indian or the Rabbit are together, they're side-by-side (*and multiplied together). This makes working the formula word problems a LOT easier.
So, good luck in your study this week, post up those Practice Test Results, and please contact me here or on IM if you plan to test with us on Saturday, April 22. I need to get a list over to the W7IO Volunteer Examiners in a few weeks,

Last edited:
Alright - Quick update, a challenge, and some proven study tips;

1) We're 3 weeks out from the Test Date of April 22! That's still plenty of time for someone who may be on the fence and wants to get their Technician License but isn't sure about their ability to pass the 35 question test. Trust me, that's plenty of time. Check the first post for the study guide links and work diligently and we can all pass together on the 22nd.

B) The challenge I'm posing this week is for anyone who's studying for the test - post up your best Practice Test Result throughout the week. It should be a screenshot, but we'll take your word for anything less than 100%... As the internet meme goes; 'pics, or it didn't happen'!

III) Pro Study Tip: as proposed by @Otter (*and others) at the beginning, study the test questions - not the material. The test questions (378 by last count) are the panel you need to know the answers to for the 35 questions you'll be asked on test day. Here are some common themes;
  • There are 80 inches in 2 meters
  • Avoid 'distracting' answers on the test questions that are 'All...' solutions - more than often, there's only one right answer
  • MICE - Magnetic is Inductance / Capacitance is Electric
  • Radio Frequency has 2 components - Electro-Magnetic
  • 50 Ohm is the standard for most HAM cabling
  • CW is International Morse Code and is always low within the band, along with data
  • 300/Mhz = meters (band)
  • CFHI - Capacitance = Farad / Henry = Inductance (units of measure)
  • The Eagle, The Indian, and The Rabbit - This came from the Hamstudy.org site and makes the formulas for Voltage, Current, and Resistance, as follows;
    • V = I * R
    • I = V / R
    • R = V / I
  • The trick here is to imagine Voltage (V) as the 'Eagle', Current (I) as the 'Indian', and Resistance (R) as the 'Rabbit'. Anytime that Voltage is in the equation, it will be above the other variable, i.e., the 'Eagle' will always be OVER the Indian or the Rabbit (*and therefore divided by that variable). Conversely, anytime the Indian or the Rabbit are together, they're side-by-side (*and multiplied together). This makes working the formula word problems a LOT easier.
So, good luck in your study this week, post up those Practice Test Results, and please contact me here or on IM if you plan to test with us on Saturday, April 22. I need to get a list over to the W7IO Volunteer Examiners in a few weeks,

WOW I already forgot most of ▲that▲:doh:

Well, here is my best so far... I go up and down like a YO-YO on this site though...

upload_2017-4-3_15-35-4.png

Don't think there will be ANY issues passing the TEST honestly, I just get FRUSTRATED when I do miss one... Then, get in a rush not caring about the results after that and end of missing another and another for STUPID reasons!!!

Oh well, I plan on being there for the test though...

I just went back through this thread and did not see anywhere about the cost of the Test...? How much does the test run..? Just curious!

Last edited:
I got an email over to the VE test contact and so far he only needs a list of those going for the test along with their email addresses. No word on fees, yet, but I'll let you know. If anything, it can't be much.

Nice job on that practice test!

I got an email over to the VE test contact and so far he only needs a list of those going for the test along with their email addresses. No word on fees, yet, but I'll let you know. If anything, it can't be much.

Nice job on that practice test!
- Thanks!!!!

My E-mail address is: DTSkyCop@cox.net

Good luck everyone. Afer just completing a trip with folks who were all illegal and using a frequency with an offset as simplex and looking at me like I was crazy to switch to a simplex frequency I look forward to more of you being LEGAL and knowing how to use your radios.

My radios are confgured to automatically set the offset so when you throw in some random frequency like 145.45 it won't work for those with proper radios. Try 145.500 and all the licensed folks can participate too... Facepalm....

Also, I will never help assist in trail runs where the leader or the tail does not have a proper mobile setup. Y'all need to understand that the $38 Baefeng radio you own (yeah I have one too, it's the spare for my spare) is not meant to be used for any long distance communications. When stretched out on dirt roads it is important to have good communications throughout the line.

Rant over. Kudos to all of you that are taking the time to take the test. It isn't hard, a basic mobile radio and antenna can be found for around $200 and your communication ability and safety will be greatly increased.

Continue to review, my average is moving up but I still make some of the mistakes over and over. I will be ready for 4/22. Thanks Thomas

image.png

The answer to that one is A) Directional Wattmeter (*question in your screenshot: "What instrument, other than an SWR meter...")

I'm working through the complete bank tomorrow and will post my 100% coverage score, plus practice test score. Things are looking good!

Update: Heard back from Gary (VE Test Coordinator) and it's $15 per person for the VE Test. You can take as many elements as you want for that $15 (Technician, General, & Amateur Extra), but if you need to RETAKE an element, it's another $15, i.e., if you get below 75% on the Technician exam and need to take another shot at it, it's another $15.

With that in mind, please PM me with your real name and e-mail address if you plan to test with us on Saturday, Apr22@7p. Thanks!

Last edited:
For anyone on the edge, I have maybe 15 hours in study and I have passed every pre exam pretty easily. The tips that Tom gave pushed my scores up. Calling on @Cruddz , @brices123 , @Abigail , @Pitch and @rctoyota plus anyone else on the fence you can do this. It is easy, go through the sights listed and review the flash cards then start taking the practice exams.

We have two weeks to finish prepping and we need to pay our $15 to take the test.

@LandCruiserPhil do we have a free handheld radio left to give away? Maybe a little enticement to move folks on the fence.

Last edited:
For anyone on the edge, I have maybe 15 hours in study and I have passed every pre exam pretty easily. The tips that Tom gave pushed my scores up. Calling on @Cruddz , @brices123 , @Abigail , @Pitch and @rctoyota plus anyone else on the fence you can do this. It is easy, go through the sights listed and review the flash cards then start taking the practice exams.

We have two weeks to finish prepping and we need to pay our $15 to take the test.

@LandCruiserPhil do we have a free handheld radio left to give away? Maybe a little enticement to move folks on the fence.

I've been eyeing this thread and had planned to set aside time this weekend to get my head around it. Will commit by Monday if I'm going for it this round, if not too late to get on the list. Thanks for the nudge, Steve.

I am out. Not ready, so I must be special (needs). I also run into lots of low things, like doorways and bars. Studying HAM is nails on a chalkboard for me, so I have been wrenching in my spare time instead. Regardless, I will be testing locally, up north, if I ever get my stuff together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom