Future Club HAMster's, unite! HAM Test Challenge Date, APR22. (1 Viewer)

Are you interested in the HAM Test on April 22nd?

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After talking with a few club members about HAM Radio Licensing, there's a group of us that want to go for the 'Technician' license in order to lawfully use 146.460Mhz (and other frequencies in the HAM spectrum) for communications on the trail. After getting jaded on the uncontrolled traffic and noise on pretty much every CB channel, scanning HAM frequencies gives much clearer communications and little interruption, combined with the low cost of entry ($20 BAEOUFANG or YAESEOUI radio's on Amazon...), everybody seems to be migrating to the newer technology.

If you're a future HAMster, keep reading!

There are over 3 Million HAM radio operators in the world today, with about 700,000 of those here in the United States. For those unfamiliar with the licensing process, the FCC allows for frequency use within certain bands for amateur radio operators within the United States (*the UN controls the band 'plans' around much of the rest of the world) for holders of a 10-year license. In order to use these frequencies legally, individuals need to pass a 35 question, multiple choice test from a bank of 350 total test questions. Don't let that scare you, though - the ACTUAL test questions are available from many different sources, so you can study the exact material you need to pass the test with flying colors. You'll only need to take the test ONCE, and then renewal is simple process every 10 years.

This thread will consolidate some useful informational links, forum member questions (*and maybe some answers from existing HAMs?), and possible study group dates leading up to our Target Test day - Saturday, April 22 @ 7p. On that day, the Arizona Red Cross and an associated local Amateur Radio group hosts Volunteer Examiners who will administer the test (all 3 levels if you're looking to upgrade your license from Technician to General, or Amateur Extra) for anybody that signs up ahead of time. This test date was chosen based on schedule availability of club members, and the tests are administered monthly on the 4th Saturday of every month in case you want to test sooner or later.

As a starting point, the most common and complete study guide is the "ARRL HAM Radio License Manual" which you can get through Amazon (for $23.86) here: The ARRL Ham Radio License Manual: ARRL Inc.: 9781625950130: Amazon.com: Books , and provides an online study and practice test capability with purchase of the printed manual. This may be convenient for 'book-learners' (like me), and there's a series of YouTube videos which explain the content in an instructor-led forum for 'listen/see learners', too. Here's the book;
16h69w8.jpg

This book provides a lot of useful information beyond just passing the test, so I can recommend it already even though I've not read the whole thing cover-to-cover, just yet.

Over the next several days, I'll update this thread with more specific information on the test location, expectations, and how we can work out study groups if people want to do so. Please vote in the poll above, or catch me at this Friday's CSC Monthly Meeting if you're interested, and I hope we get a bunch of us licensed and up to speed on the latest technology to make our Club Runs that much more entertaining!

AZ Amateur Radio Club (testing): www.w7io.org
Location: 4747 N 22nd Street @7p on 4th Saturday of each month

Online Study Guide & Flash Cards (study & practice testing): www.hamstudy.org

Last edited:
I am currently (slowly) studying, and hoping to sit for the exam in April.

This has been an interest of mine and have been wanting to pursue my Ham License, especially since I joined this group. I have not been studying up to this point however. Is April REALISTIC for me to even consider?? OR, should I start studying and consider a later test date..?

QRZ magazine has some great resources to help you get legal.

howtoham by QRZ.COM

Copperstate Cruisers (this forum) has a lot of study tips. You can search on Ham and a lot will show up.

You need to download the entire question bank, read through it several times so you can recognize the questions, and then take a bunch of practice exams.

Download questions here:
Question Pools

The tests won't surprise you - the question bank has the same four answers as the test you will take. Two of the answers are normally off the wall enough you can immediately reject them.

I used the QRZ magazine's practice tests. I ran through the practice exams a few times a day for a few weeks. When took the test in Tucson I aced the Technician and missed one on the General test. If I had studied the Extra class tests I would have taken that one the same day.

Practice Amateur Radio Exams by QRZ.COM

Practice Amateur Radio Exams
Please Login

The QRZ Practice Tests for amateur radio exams are free and open to the public. No previous or existing amateur license is required to participate.

These tests keep track of your individual progress and so in order to use them, you must first register or log in with a QRZ User account.

Please note that anybody can have an account on QRZ. If you are not yet a licensed amateur, simply choose a user name of your liking when you are asked to register with a callsign. Once you have obtained your license, we'll change your username to your new callsign.

Note: You do not need to be a licensed ham to become a member. Registration is necessary so that we can remember which test questions you've taken and how best to study.

Last edited:
Hey, @DTSkyCop , in one of the linked pages with Study Tips, they say to pick a test date within 4 weeks based on a couple of different things; 1) it gives you a date to get you moving, and B) the test isn't all that difficult, and III) any further out and you'll have to relearn things you forgot over time, making the study harder overall.

We're about 6 weeks out now, giving people plenty of time to think about it, order the study guides, or get oriented to the various online offerings.

I think it's HIGHLY realistic to start now and expect to be ready on Apr22. Maybe existing HAMs can chime in and offer some experiences or advice on their study habits and test results...?

After a few practice tests and looking through the materials, I'm not concerned about passing this test on the 22nd and am not pushing my studies hard just yet. I am planning on cramming HARD the night before, though - because that's a method that I know works for me.

Best tip I have is to learn the test first - get licensed - and then learn Amateur Radio at your leisure.

The licenses used to require knowing morse code which was a steep barrier to casual users (like four wheelers that need good communication options). Now the ham community needs fresh hams to survive the onslaught of companies and technologies that are lusting after the "wasted" free amateur bands and the only protection we have is to prove that it is in the public interest to keep them public and they are being actively used.

Use em or lose em!

4 weeks is plenty of time. All I did was take the practice tests online at least once a day for a couple of weeks. According to the website, is seen all of the questions. There were no surprises once test time came around. I think I missed one question.

4 weeks is plenty of time. All I did was take the practice tests online at least once a day for a couple of weeks. According to the website, is seen all of the questions. There were no surprises once test time came around. I think I missed one question.
Show off.

Hey, @DTSkyCop , in one of the linked pages with Study Tips, they say to pick a test date within 4 weeks based on a couple of different things; 1) it gives you a date to get you moving, and B) the test isn't all that difficult, and III) any further out and you'll have to relearn things you forgot over time, making the study harder overall.

We're about 6 weeks out now, giving people plenty of time to think about it, order the study guides, or get oriented to the various online offerings.

I think it's HIGHLY realistic to start now and expect to be ready on Apr22. Maybe existing HAMs can chime in and offer some experiences or advice on their study habits and test results...?

After a few practice tests and looking through the materials, I'm not concerned about passing this test on the 22nd and am not pushing my studies hard just yet. I am planning on cramming HARD the night before, though - because that's a method that I know works for me.

Well I registered for the ARRL website and took my first practice test... Got a 66%... Guess I can improve the rest before then... I will give it a whirl... By the way, what is a PASSING SCORE..?? I have always wanted to pursue it but never have... So, no better time than the present!!!

Call me Darius too... @DTSkyCop is SOOOOO formal... lol

Last edited:
By the way, what is a PASSING SCORE..??
Short answer - 26 out of 35 for Technician and General, 37 out of 50 for Extra

Long answer - 47 CFR97.503

eCFR — Code of Federal Regulations

Subpart F—Qualifying Examination Systems

§97.503 Element standards.
A written examination must be such as to prove that the examinee possesses the operational and technical qualifications required to perform properly the duties of an amateur service licensee. Each written examination must be comprised of a question set as follows:

(a) Element 2: 35 questions concerning the privileges of a Technician Class operator license. The minimum passing score is 26 questions answered correctly.

(b) Element 3: 35 questions concerning the privileges of a General Class operator license. The minimum passing score is 26 questions answered correctly.

(c) Element 4: 50 questions concerning the privileges of an Amateur Extra Class operator license. The minimum passing score is 37 questions answered correctly.

[54 FR 25857, June 20, 1989, as amended at 61 FR 41019, Aug. 7, 1996; 65 FR 6550, Feb. 10, 2000; 72 FR 3082, Jan. 24, 2007]

Short answer: 75% is a passing score.

Looked at the calendar today, and we're more than 6wks out from Target Test Date (Apr22), and I may be studying too hard, too soon. Is there such a thing? I noticed I missed a few questions on practice exams that I previously go correct so I may have hit my saturation point.

Something I read today is that if you're consistently getting 85% on practice tests, you stand a good chance of passing the test where you stand today. If you're in the 75% range on practice tests, it's a 50/50 chance you'd pass, i.e., keep studying!

I have been using the Ham Test Prep app on my phone. It tells me that I am woefully unprepared. I find much of the study material, well, way more difficult than most make it out to be. I was gifted the whole series of study guide books highlighted above (technician on up), and reading it just creates pain in my head. I have heard people say that they study for a week and pass… well my hat is off to them. This is the techno-geek stuff that seems Greek to me. I will however press on.

This is the techno-geek stuff that seems Greek to me. I will however press on.
Try to focus on learning the test questions and their answers - there is a set bank of questions you can download and the test you take will be a random 35 out of the bank. The questions and their answers won't change, so if you can learn to recognize the correct answer to each question you will pass the test.

"Learning" amateur radio can come later if the techno-geek stuff appeals to you.

The hardest part for me was learning the band plans, but I only had to remember them long enough to take the test.

Keep pressin' on!:clap:

Try to focus on learning the test questions and their answers - there is a set bank of questions you can download and the test you take will be a random 35 out of the bank. The questions and their answers won't change, so if you can learn to recognize the correct answer to each question you will pass the test.

^this

It's exactly what I did.

I heard LandcruiserPhil once exclaim with a chuckle: "heck, if I learned by watching videos and got 100% on the HAM test then ANYBODY could!" :hillbilly:

upload_2017-3-16_11-40-45.jpeg

First impromptu lunch session to review progress held today (3 of us), and we're about 3 weeks out from the test date. Ill be posting some challenges for anyone hoping to get their Technician license on Apr22, so watch for updates. We also discussed holding a study group one of these weekends, so post back or PM if interested in that.

In a few weeks, I'll be calling for confirmed test subjects to forward a list to the VE test station. Think about it, keep studying, and good luck to all as you fill your brains with something new!

Three weeks out is still in the "sweet spot" if you're on the fence,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom