fuel/water separator 1HDT (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

yes..
on the bottom of your fuel filter you will find a little screw on cap that has some grooves in it, a wire coming out of it, and finally a petcock. open up the petcock to drain water until you see fuel coming out.
takes about 2 minutes to do this.
if you are having issues with too much water coming through, i recommend a diesel fuel additive to limit condensation in the tank, and possibly a fuel filter change.
cheers,
steve

Best way to prevent condensation in your tank is to keep it full. There is no additive which will prevent condensation. There are additives which will kill the stuff growing in your tank which tend to thrive in tanks with water in them. Best way to get rid of them and the water in your tank is to give it a treatment of biocide and then drain it completely. Sometimes, it does require that a tank is professionally cleaned to get rid of the ****.

Jeff, I have the same set-up in my Safari as you do. It's a stupid design because you can't see what is in there and put your faith in the water sensor. I have a CAV-Delphi aftermarket filter assembly with a glass. Plan to put it infront of my OEM filter as soon as I buy a 24V diesel pump to help lift the diesel through it to the IP. Some, even have their own primer pump like this one:

button%20primer%20filter.jpg

Racor makes a beautiful replacement that i went with as well ..... same as the delphi more or less.
fuel filter.jpg

I have a CAV/Delphi 296 fuel filter/water separator that I want to sell if anyone's interested. Brand new, never mounted and rated for 7-9 microns, but doesn't have the built in primer pump. Also already has the two brass barbs on it to install the fuel lines into.

I was going to use it in my 80, but have bought a Racor instead. PM me if interested...sorry for the hijack. :beer:

Which one did you go with? And is that a pressure gauge attached?

Thanks,

X2 .. more info on your setup if is posible please .. part number, specs .... how the primer do .?

I used the racor 400 series filter/seperator with the primer. The primer works exclent, never misses a beat after a filter change and you dont even have to pre-fill it, just pump it up about 10 times!!! Tha gauge is vaccum, i put it on the "out" side to monotor the filter condition. When the vaccum approaches 10 inches your getting pluged. I also origonaly installed it to see how fine of micron i could go without causing to much restriction. I am now running a 2 micron absolute!!! this is over kill i know as 10 micron is still better than any factory setup, but since im not causing restriction why not? The other nice thing about this racor is the optional fuel heater and water sensor ports. I havent tied the water sensor into the factory wiring yet but plan to. Another bonus is the availability of the replacement filters, and there only 10bux, over twice as big as factory (last way longer specialy when u have the gauge) and do a far superior job filtering. The whole setup cost about 150$ origonaly with fittings,gauge and extra hose, but since i had a factory housing with an ever so common vaccum leak and had to replace it any way i figured this was an up-grade. I did have to make a small bracket to lift and allow the new housing to mount to the origonal one but it only took about 20 min. If anyone is interested in pics of that let me know and ill gladly post em'

I used the racor 400 series filter/seperator with the primer. The primer works exclent, never misses a beat after a filter change and you dont even have to pre-fill it, just pump it up about 10 times!!! Tha gauge is vaccum, i put it on the "out" side to monotor the filter condition. When the vaccum approaches 10 inches your getting pluged. I also origonaly installed it to see how fine of micron i could go without causing to much restriction. I am now running a 2 micron absolute!!! this is over kill i know as 10 micron is still better than any factory setup, but since im not causing restriction why not? The other nice thing about this racor is the optional fuel heater and water sensor ports. I havent tied the water sensor into the factory wiring yet but plan to. Another bonus is the availability of the replacement filters, and there only 10bux, over twice as big as factory (last way longer specialy when u have the gauge) and do a far superior job filtering. The whole setup cost about 150$ origonaly with fittings,gauge and extra hose, but since i had a factory housing with an ever so common vaccum leak and had to replace it any way i figured this was an up-grade. I did have to make a small bracket to lift and allow the new housing to mount to the origonal one but it only took about 20 min. If anyone is interested in pics of that let me know and ill gladly post em'

Thanks for the info.

Yes, I would like more pics.

Here is a couple more pics, one being the quick little adapter bracket i made up to mount in stock location and still have clearance to service the much larger filter
fuel filter2.JPG
fuel filter3.JPG

Of course I find this after going through finding a new filter housing with a heater from the UAE. Anyone want a brand new OEM? I am going this route. I know I will just have to do a quick search, but any chance you have added a fuel heater? I actually do not really need one living in Georgia, but since I have it all wired up, I might as well hook one up. Also, did you ever wire in the water sensor? Any issues? Great setup.

Just found this heated unit. But I don't see a water sensor

Amazon product ASIN B01MXXJZ5R

Last edited:
Good idea. I don’t know enough about my current stock one. I would like to find out if it has a thermostat switch or not. And if so, how it plays with a Racor unit.

Is the filter I have shown above the one you installed Bison? I am a big OEM fan but I really see the benefit of this filter. But before putting something like this in line with my engine, I want to know it is going to be as good or better than the original. I am happy to experiment with a tire swingout. My engine is a different story. Especially when the parts have to come from the freaking UAE. Which, by the way, is where I had to get the OEM filter housing with a heater that I have now. What is it with the Arab nations having the only access to heated fuel filters? My snow version HDJ80 came from an island next to the Sahara desert.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom