fuel system basics -- converting FJ60 to diesel (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

new questions

Hey,
I currently have an '84 300TD euro wagon. It's not turbo'd (yet) and has a 4 speed manual tranny. I was wondering if you had made any progress on your conversion, I'm looking to do the same thing, but with the manual tranny. My wagon is pretty rusty, so I'm entertaining the idea of ltrying to find a good 60 cruiser (little-no rust) and swapping the motor/tranny. Anyhow, just wondering what progress has been made and if your system for working out the transfer case problems works. thanks,
will

The t-case is braced in place now with a temporary crossmember. We'll pull the rest of the driveline next weekend, then start the fun process of pulling the Mercedes' engine and tranny.

It's looking like the Mercedes engine is going to need at least new rings, and it's snowboarding and hunting season, so progress has been slow. :)

polarweasel said:
A 4BT is huge and expensive and seriously powerful. It's also an expensive pain in the ass to install, what with needing a springover for a good ride, adapter plates, NV4500 tranny, and on and on. On top of the expense, I wouldn't be able to register my truck -- installing that engine is against federal EPA emissions regulations, since it never came in a 1/2-ton pickup or smaller.

Here's the deal on emissions. When you do an engine swap, you must use an engine from a vehicle [highlight]your year or newer[/highlight], in [highlight]your weight class or lower[/highlight]. The FJ60 (and presumably FJ40) is in the 1/2-ton pickup weight class, so we can only use a motor that came in a 1/2-ton pickup, compact pickup, or passenger car.

The other important EPA rule to note is that you have to use [highlight]all the pollution-control and engine-control equipment[/highlight] that came on the donor vehicle. Catalytic converter, speed sensors, EGR, the whole shooting match.

If you don't follow the EPA rules, you can't get the official certificate from the smog police that lets you get your emissions test. No emissions test, no license plates. In my county (Larimer, Colorado) all diesel vehicles must be emissions tested once a year. Gasoline vehicles get tested every two years.

Fun stuff, huh?

Alex

^^^^^WELCOME TO MY LIFE IN KALIFONIA!!!!! I called the California Air Resourse Board (CARB) this week asking about 4BT and GM 6.2/6.5 conversions. The guy told me exactly what is stated above.
:crybaby: The one thing that we do have going for us is that diesels are smog exempt here, so I would only have to pass a referee inspections to make this legal to get the title changed :D

Needless to say, I am VERY interested in this conversion. It appears this is the only feasible option here in CA. I have an email in to 4x4labs as well and I'm waiting for a response...

I am very interested to see how this turns out for you. Hopefully, your "tuning" goes well, I can't wait too see the power you can squeeze from it and related mpg. Good luck, and please keep the reports coming!!

PS - You should definitely stick the "turbo diesel" emblem somewhere on your cruiser!!

Did the 6.2 come in 1500 models. I thought only 2500.

For an 1986 FJ60 that limits you quite a bit.

Look to the Toyota diesel family. A 1hz would be the best swap. With a tranny. Just weld in the engine mounts and make a new tranny mount.

Its a very good engine.

I'm actually planning on buying a new 60 to do this conversion so I'm more flexible on the year. The only thing with the yota engines, is that I'm a little concerned about parts availability as this will mostly likely be a daily driver...

I know the 6.2 game is blazers, subs, etc not sure about 1500 vs 2500??

ChuckB said:
I'm actually planning on buying a new 60 to do this conversion so I'm more flexible on the year. The only thing with the yota engines, is that I'm a little concerned about parts availability as this will mostly likely be a daily driver...

Parts in NA for the 1hz would be the easiest of all the yota engines.

Also since there is very little to go wrong with them, I expect very little will be needed. And will work fine for a DD

brownbear said:
Parts in NA for the 1hz would be the easiest of all the yota engines.

Also since there is very little to go wrong with them, I expect very little will be needed. And will work fine for a DD

To add to my comment. See the thread on Timing belts. Guys are buying them in the USA and they are cheap to buy(timing belt).

Fuel nozzles use denso parts, available everywhere......

Should be an easy to maintain engine.

Last edited:
ChuckB said:

my 1HZ is in my DD, parts aren't too bad. just stay on top of preventative maintenance to avoid getting stranded. Oil filters can be bought through US dealerships if you give them the PN. Everything else can be had through ENS in Canada (even shipped over night if needed but its $$). As long as you plan ahead and do ground shipping its not too bad.

The only other issue that I can think of is convincing the CA dmv that the engine (1HZ) is legal in this state... any thoughts

Also, I'm assuming that this conversion does not require a lift, and as I'll probably go OME on this "new" 60 I'm guesing it wouldn't be an issue anyway, is that true?

Last edited:
Here is a great source of info for conversions, if you have not already seen it- http://cruisers.shoumatoffmedia.com/ He takes into account many different engines from different perspectives including availability and installation.

Not sure about the 6.2, but the 6.5 did come in 1500 and 2500 series, although they are extremely rare to find.

-a

hello all i am the new guy ...i want to go diesel can my 1988 FJ62 gas motor"that is dead" be swap out with one of those canadian diesels ..i am sure there is alot to know but i am willing to take it on

WHITNEY said:
hello all i am the new guy ...i want to go diesel can my 1988 FJ62 gas motor"that is dead" be swap out with one of those canadian diesels ..i am sure there is alot to know but i am willing to take it on

Weclome to the board.

Yes you can swap to Toyota diesel. Huge number of threads in here about it.

This one is good.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=12794

Also for engines from Japan

http://www.gscruiserparts.com/index.html

other options are buying a doner rig from Canada and using the powertrain to convert. You can buy a doner vehicle for about 2-5k can dollars. But it is better to go with a 6cyl diesel from Japan. Newer, more supported for parts etc.

I would go with a 1HZ if the choice was mine, also included with either a Auto or 5 speed. Your tranny woun't work I imagine. you can always email Sheldon at the gs site.

Just got this from Luke @ 4x4Labs...

"we aren't ready with that yet. It's still
in the queue but haven't had time or resources
allocated for the next phase of the development.
It's a big undertaking. we have a new motor from
mercedes, all the GM and toyota bellhousings and
transmissions, flywheel is picked out, stuff
like that but theres a million little details to
clean up before we even get one in a rig. It
will be a little while before we get it ready
for the public. stay tuned though, it will be a
good conversion especially for the smog problem
rigs.

talk to you later,
-luke@4x4labs "

to me that seems like a forever comment.

I would just get a Toyota diesel and be done with it. Adapters and divorced transfer cases, special drive shafts..............too much hassel.

i cant remember who it was, but there was a guy on here that i spoke with who had done this conversion. if i remember correctly he had to make his own fly wheel. he liked it, but said it was a little less powereful than the 2f.
if i can find his name or anything ill get it to ya. good luck.
cheers,
herb

do a search under the user name " Gifu "
he swapped 6bt into a 60 (I think it was a 6bt) with turbo and intercooler
I drove it, it worked great. Not sprung over.

A lot of trouble perhaps, but we're getting closer, and we won't have a ton of money invested in this project when we're done. That's good, since we're broke and all!

We've got the Mercedes engine pulled now, and the next step is to tear into it and see what needs work. At the least we'll break the glaze and roll in new rings and adjust the valves. Maybe a new timing chain and oil pan, if we decide we care that much... We've got the divorce plate designed and laid out in CAD for the t-case, and we'll machine it this month.

The Benz engine (OM617.952) and tranny is at least a good foot or more shorter than the 2F and H41 that we pulled out, so there's lots of room for a shaft in there.

Progress! This is good!

And no pictures, sorry. Picture a lifted red 60 on 33s, with no front clip, no engine, and no drivetrain, looking forlorn and lonely. Not much to see yet, really. :)

Just checking to see if there are any updates?

hey polarweasel, you droped to the third page here!

more impotantly, what is the shape of the 617.952 oil pan? the pan on my 617.950 (300SD) has a short and wide sump/ lower pan at the front of the motor which conflicts with my front axle, even with 4in bumpstops, and i still want some up-travel. is yours diferent or do i have to get creative?
post up some progress!
-carl

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom