fuel system basics -- converting FJ60 to diesel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mine's the same. Guess we'll be running into that obstacle shortly. :)

No updates, really. It's snowboard time, and also I've been moving due to my divorce. All kinds of fun there. :)

polarweasel said:
Mine's the same. Guess we'll be running into that obstacle shortly. :)

No updates, really. It's snowboard time, and also I've been moving due to my divorce. All kinds of fun there. :)

sorry to hear about the big "D"... that really sucks.

Have you made any progress with the conversion?

Actually, we've made a little. The head is getting a valve job and serious cleanup right now, and I'm going up to Loveland this morning to drop off the parts (valve guides and seals) the guy needs to finish it off.

After that, I guess it'll be back on us to make some progress, eh? :)

Still VERY interested to see how this turns out!!! Glad to see you are back!

One of my friends in Canada does MBZ diesel conversions. It has been a whole since we spoke but I might try and get intouch with him. He has been doing these conversions for a long time. You can see our threads over on the 4x4labs page. We posted some Q's and information for those interested. I had an 1985 4runner at the time and an 1983 240D I was going to use as the donor vehicle. I just couldnt make up my mind on what transmission/transfercase set up to use. But here is some breif information I caem across while seeking information on mercedes to 4x4 conversions. This is for toyota only. As some might know the Land Cruiser sold in Brazil used a Benz diesel engine models OM314 and OM364, 1962 to 1994. I cant remember which transmission they used but I think it was a TLC 4speed. The bellhousing mated the MBZ diesel engine to the toyota transmission. I tried to locate one a few years ago but finally gave up looking.

There is also a company in Africa that sales a conversion kit to covert Land Cruisers to the Mercedes diesels. I have emailed them plently of time with no response. I also asked a fellow cruiser living in South Africa to contact them but no word.

Issues can be the front sump oilpan on the benz. There isnt much room for modifying it to another location. There is a dry sump kit but a used one isnt easy to find and they cost an arm and leg. That would solve the problem of the front mounted oil sump. I dont think it would be to much of an issue in a TLC. I even had some room to work with in my lifted '85 4runner. Or you can just raise the engine/transmission/tcase level with the frame and body kit.

So what I have now is an 1965 FJ40 and 1980 MBZ 300D. I planned on swapping the engine and transmission from the 300D into the 40 and mod the tcase into a divorced style. Or just use one from a Sami for the time being just to get things going. This was the plan. But now my wife wants to keep the 300D. Same thing happened when I bought the 240D. She wants me to sale the 40 and fix the 300D up for her. Now I am thinking of just throwing the 300D into the FJ55. Later when I can locate a decent 300TD then swap the engines out.

After the conversion my intentions are using both WVO and homemade B100.

I currently run high percentages of ethanol in my FJ55. This week I am using almost 100% ethanol. So doing the same with the diesels with veg-oil isnt a big deal.

Modding the t-case into a divorced style made the most sense to us... We don't have the plate machined yet, but it's getting pretty close to time to do that. We have a CAD design for it, so it's a question of getting some machine time and debugging afterwards.

MiniPigg, would you be interested in a plate if this works out?

polarweasel said:
Modding the t-case into a divorced style made the most sense to us... We don't have the plate machined yet, but it's getting pretty close to time to do that. We have a CAD design for it, so it's a question of getting some machine time and debugging afterwards.

MiniPigg, would you be interested in a plate if this works out?

We plan to pull the 300D out this weekend and convert the FJ40 over. I will be using the diesel engine and the automatic transmission from the 300D. This is how Chris has been doing it for some time now. As soon as I can find a decent 300SD (etc) I will be converting the FJ55 over as well. Then it is on to finishing the home build biodiesel plant and trying to secure a good source for soy/corn/etc oil from the local farms to run SVO. WVO is to be converted to biodiesel.

Chris sent me some photo's of the DIY D-style Yota Tcase. A plate would be nice but he has been using the rear of the transmission housing to make the plates.

Last edited:
Nice. Do you have large versions of those you can send me? As big as you've got, I'd love to see 'em. (awball@polarweasel.org)

I guess I should revive this thread, now that I pointed at it from the [thread=106480]other one[/thread] that started up recently...

http://polarweasel.org/garage/cruiser/mercedes/ has a few progress pictures in the albums at the top... We'll get the timing chain replaced this weekend, and the valve cover closed up. After that, we'll reinstall all the accessories and see about hanging this thing in the engine compartment. Hopefully we can get that far this weekend, and hopefully there's a way to avoid bashing the oil pan on the diff or the steering stabilizer.

Oh, and rebuild the turbo. I don't have the kit for that yet, but it really needs to be rebuilt. The shaft has play, so hopefully I can round up one of these mythical $10 rebuild kits for it. :)

Last edited:
MiniPigg said:
We plan to pull the 300D out this weekend and convert the FJ40 over. I will be using the diesel engine and the automatic transmission from the 300D. This is how Chris has been doing it for some time now. As soon as I can find a decent 300SD (etc) I will be converting the FJ55 over as well. Then it is on to finishing the home build biodiesel plant and trying to secure a good source for soy/corn/etc oil from the local farms to run SVO. WVO is to be converted to biodiesel.

Chris sent me some photo's of the DIY D-style Yota Tcase. A plate would be nice but he has been using the rear of the transmission housing to make the plates.

WOW! This looks like a great project...I am also interested in doing this conversion. I have a friend with a whole bunch of benz engines and trannys left over from a repair shop.

MiniPigg or Polarweasel, how would that transmission housing plate attach to the frame. Would you weld a crossbar to frame and bolt it to the plate? Would this be strong enough? Do you have any pics of that set-up?
Thanks!

We're making a crossmember to support the divorced t-case. Haven't done that yet, but crossmembers aren't too complicated.

Depending on the final material choice (likely 1/2" aluminum) for the plate, we'll either put it under the t-case or bolt to the face. Under would provide a built-in skidplate too, which is a nice consideration... We'll address this in the next couple of weeks. Need to make the plate first. :)

Well I still havent pulled the engine. With crap coming up left and right it's been hard to keep to the main project. Everything is unbolted, disconnected etc. for the removal of the diesel engine and transmission.
Next weekend the engine is coming out rain, snow, a comet hitting the earth... doesnt matter. And from the way it looks the original benz motor mounts might work on the 40 frame. Wont know until its actually in the framework with the front sheet metal on for any clearance issues.

The FJ55 spring packs have all been broken down so I can make some custom packs for the project if needed. Also I might have an early 1980's model toy mini truck to donate it's rear axle and tcase. And I have a bid on an 1983 300SD (turbodiesel). If this deal works then the FJ55 will be converted to diesel. :)

As soon as the engine is secured in its new home and running I will post photo's and information on the conversion. Polar you might have to make a trip up so we can go over some stuff.

Hell yeah, we'll come up and have a look! :)

I took a nice little vacation to Durango this weekend, but we'll be back working next weekend. Got a (hopefully!) workable shaft on its way, so the divorce plate and shaft should come together in the next little while.

Good luck!

So I finally got around to pulling the engine from the 300D. The 5 cylinder mercedes diesel is now sitting in my FJ40 frame waiting to have the mounts marked up and welded into place.

Ofcourse there are some issues to overcome as I have stated. First item up for bid is the front oil sump mercedes uses with the diesel engine. This interferes with the front pumpkin. I spent a better part of the day figuring out how I wanted to set this up within the 40's frame. Currently it is sitting to tall in the engine bay and we would have to use at minimum a two inch body lift.
And with it sitting this high I am going to have issues with the transfercase set up. I will have a much better idea when I get the engine where I want it.

As for the weight of the diesel and its automatic transmission.... as I placed it into the engine bay I didnt notice the suspension moving.... so I am not sure the weight difference between the mercedes and the 2F and their transmissions. I am wondering is the benz engine is less weight when compared to the 2F.

I am going to convert to an electric fan... this should help with engine placement as I might move the engine as forward as I can.

I will have pics tomorrow.... going to get some sleep now.

Minipigg, Congrats on the progress!!

Will the sump fit in front of the front pumpkin? Will that you have a long shaft to the divorced transfer case?

Here's some additional info... You may have already seen this, but I found it interesting. This guy has adapted mercedes diesel to a series landrover and kept the rover tranny, etc.

http://seriestrek.com/engine.html

FJ40-40 said:
Here's some additional info... You may have already seen this, but I found it interesting. This guy has adapted mercedes diesel to a series landrover and kept the rover tranny, etc.

http://seriestrek.com/engine.html

thanks for the info.... I think I know the guy.... it is one of Chris's friends.... Chris has been doing these conversions for sometime now.

here are some other links... rovers seem to have more then we do when it comes to adapters... etc...

http://tiico.com/roveradapters.htm

there is a company in south eastern africa that sales adapters to convert a land cruiser to mercedes diesel... but they have never answered my questions... and i lost the websites url

brazil used mercedes diesels in land cruisers.... still seeking information

hey polarweasel: glad to see you are back on this project.
if it will help i have a garret turbo from an om617-951, definitly used but has zero shaft play and feels smooth. yours for the price of the ride.
please post picks!
good luck, carl 607-227-9585

Hey Carl, thanks for the offer! I'd love to take that turbo off your hands! PMing you now... :)

We visited MiniPigg yesterday, and took a couple of pictures. Today, we're going to see about hanging my engine. I'll get more pictures online tonight or tomorrow...

polarweasel said:
Hey Carl, thanks for the offer! I'd love to take that turbo off your hands! PMing you now... :)

We visited MiniPigg yesterday, and took a couple of pictures. Today, we're going to see about hanging my engine. I'll get more pictures online tonight or tomorrow...

Alex thanks for coming up and bringin the axles too.... I owe you.....

So what do you think about the set up? I'm going to try and get those motor mounts done this week and secure the engine and transmission into the 40's frame.

While at work today I gave the conversion more thought.... the next step is going to be placing a center diff rear axle into the 40 and then running a driveshaft to it. Use the rig as a 2x4 until I get other things iron out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom