fuel system basics -- converting FJ60 to diesel (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So is the 29" length including the fan or without the fan?

Do you have an overall length figured out for the engine, trans, and tranfer with the devorced shaft?

I am geting exited about this as a posibility.

Also, do you know what the first gear ratio is in the trans?

Thanks

Jonathan

I haven't a clue what's included in the length, sorry. I suspect that is without the fan. I'll know more in a while, when we actually get an engine and get it on a stand.

3.98:1 first gear in the Mercedes auto.

Dose the auto have an over drive? What kind of rpms are you looking at?
Thanks
Jonathan

I forget if the auto is overdrive or not. Either way, they're very high-revving engines. The cars do 3100-3800RPM at 110 Km/h. Redline is 5000RPM or so, 4500RPM under full load.

We're not going to re-gear my truck, at least not yet, so I'll be turning the same RPMs as with my 2F, assuming no overdrive.

Off to test-drive another one...

Quick update: I'm taking delivery of a 1985 300D on Monday afternoon. $933 with tax, and it runs and drives well. It even looks semi-decent.

I'm going to leave the car intact for a bit, clean the engine, tune it up and get it to pass emissions, and maybe service the tranny. That way, when we do the swap, we'll have a lot less to worry about.

At this point, how soon we pull the engine/tranny and start swapping depends on how many parts I need to get, how quickly and cheaply I can get those parts, and of course how much free time I've got in the next week or two... :)

And in the meantime, the nasty-ass driver's seat will keep me from getting too attached to the car. Chop chop, kill kill kill! :D

yep the 617 is a great engine: i also own a 300D (turbo), and love it. however, it is no 3B style torque monster, but performs really well when thrumming along on the freeway at 120km/h plus . . . .

as an aside, the 617 was also installed in the Mercedes G-Wagen and certain Unimogs . . . .

The 60 has a return line plumbed into the tank. It's a vary simple conversion. At least it was on my 6.2. You will have to open up the filler neck.

The diesel exemption certificate was very easy to get in IL. No more emission testing once they confirmed it was a diesel engine.

polarweasel said:
A 4BT is huge and expensive and seriously powerful. It's also an expensive pain in the ass to install, what with needing a springover for a good ride, adapter plates, NV4500 tranny, and on and on. On top of the expense, I wouldn't be able to register my truck -- installing that engine is against federal EPA emissions regulations, since it never came in a 1/2-ton pickup or smaller.

Here's the deal on emissions. When you do an engine swap, you must use an engine from a vehicle [highlight]your year or newer[/highlight], in [highlight]your weight class or lower[/highlight]. The FJ60 (and presumably FJ40) is in the 1/2-ton pickup weight class, so we can only use a motor that came in a 1/2-ton pickup, compact pickup, or passenger car.

The other important EPA rule to note is that you have to use [highlight]all the pollution-control and engine-control equipment[/highlight] that came on the donor vehicle. Catalytic converter, speed sensors, EGR, the whole shooting match.

If you don't follow the EPA rules, you can't get the official certificate from the smog police that lets you get your emissions test. No emissions test, no license plates. In my county (Larimer, Colorado) all diesel vehicles must be emissions tested once a year. Gasoline vehicles get tested every two years.

Fun stuff, huh?

Alex
Sounds like you need to move out of Larimer county! Here in Garfield county, no emissions, no safety inspection, no nothing.

Personally, I think Rob and some of the others are right about being underpowered. Both my 3B's are choked out at my elevation (6,000 ft +/-). Your turbo'd Mercedes is a good motor but I think in a heavy 60, it will be fairly weak. It might be much better in a 40. Anyways, interesting conversion. Good Luck.

Hey Gumby, by "open up the filler neck" you mean remove the unleaded restrictor plate, right? Or do you have to get access to the filler neck in order to sort out the return line?

Any updates? Have you messed with the power output yet? Have you figured out an over all lenth yet? Help me out, I'm dying here!!

I haven't made ANY progress. The car is sitting in the backyard, and I've been busy with work. We'll hopefully replace the motor mounts on Friday, at which point I'll actually be able to start tuning it up. Right now, with rubber-free motor mounts, it shakes too much at idle to be able to sort anything out.

In addition, the loss of height from the collapsed mounts has allowed one of the V-belts to chew on a tranny cooler line. Any more chewing and it'll spring a leak, so I don't dare start it up till then. :doh:

So does anybody have a list of the senders in an FJ60, along with their resistance ranges? I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to be able to reuse on the Mercedes engine, and what will need to be replaced or adapted. I'm going to have to use a couple aftermarket gauges anyway (at the least, oil pressure and exhaust pyrometer), but I'm hoping to be able to keep my gauge cluster in place!

Any updates?

Updates? Nope. :)

Tuning up the Mercedes now, making sure the engine is worth keeping, before we dismantle my Cruiser, which currently runs perfectly well... The Benz is running pretty well now, but I still need to adjust the valves, adjust the injection timing, clean the intake manifold, turn up the fuel, bump up the boost, and probably replace some vacuum fittings.

I just wanna get going on this, but doing all the niggly stuff now will pay off in the long run, I'm sure.

Another shameless bump...any progress?
Thanks
Jonathan

Well, the truck's at my friend's place, and the engine is stripped of all its wiring and hoses, but still installed in the truck. The Mercedes is in my backyard with a broken alternator adjusting nut and bolt, and I've been waiting a long time for the replacements to arrive mail-order.

I'm also starting a divorce. Don't expect much rapid progress for few months, here. :(

Sorry to here that, best of luck and I hope it don't get ugly.
Jonathan

Polarweasel,
Interesting thread. I was thinking along the same lines that the merc engines would be good in an LC. At the very least an excellent therapy project. Need pics

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom