fuel system basics -- converting FJ60 to diesel (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

As far as I know, Jim's adapter is ready to go. My plan is to use that, and then have an adapter made locally to go from the NP435 to a Land Rover LT230 full-time case. That doesn't help you any if you want to stay Toyota all the way back, of course, but once you've committed to a Ford tranny, why not add a snazzier t-case, too? :)

My biggest problem at the moment is that I don't have any money to do it. My clients are suffering from the recession, and canceling projects left and right. Anybody need some technical writing work done?

I am waiting despirately for the adapter plate myself to convert my mini truck. Power output, "technically" is about 20 hp less than the "3.slow" 3VZE V6 it has in it currently, to get an idea of power... That said I am ecstatic for the conversion when the adapter finally arrives....

I have been following it closely and spoke with 4x4 labs twice in the last two weeks. I have already lined up the engine, I will be adapting it via an AA GM to mini truck adapter to the stock R151 mini truck trans and t case...

More debate fodder

2H (Hino/Toyota):
3980 cc
102 hp
177 ft./lbs. torque
91mm bore
102mm stroke

MB OM617.952 (the 5-cylinder turbo diesel, 1981-1985 from 300D, 300CD and 300TD--MB's hands down most durable and reliable motor ever built), not to be confused with the earlier 617.951:
2998 cc
123-125 hp
170 ft./lbs. torque
90.9mm bore
92.4mm stroke

As an owner of both a 300TD and an HJ60, I can say that the MB is peppier, by a fair amount. In a quarter mile, I'd bet the MB would be several car lengths ahead of me.

So, let the nay-sayers be forewarned, these motors perform very comparably. The 2H is bigger (displacement), but has fewer horses, but slightly more torque.

Sorry to go back to the debate, but my research on this comparison led me to dis-regard the 617.952 for the simple matter that it produces its torque at higher RPM. When I didn't see the RPM figures in the above post, I thought I'd chime in.

For driving off road, I really like the torque of the 2H, which comes on at idle and allows a "tractor like" driving style. I wouldn't do anything to affect or replace that characteristic.

Any conversion for me will have to either match or improve on the RPM torque ratings of the 2H AT OR NEAR it's peak torque RPM.

The 617.952 is too much of a revving car motor for me, at least on paper.....
Rick

I too am curious about the results of this conversion - I have an '85 300D and love the engine. Wondering how this will work out in the FJ60...

I too am curious about the results of this conversion -

couple of options now...

Mercedes diesel info

The kit consists of the following items:

1. 1 inch thick aluminum adapter plate
2. Bolt set
3. Mini-high torque starter
4. Flexplate
5. Crank adapter

All machined parts are American made. The cost is $725.00
( I heard you can just buy the adapter for less)

Andre still working on his - pics of the 4x4 lab stuff
'91 Toyota Pickup - Benz OM617 diesel

Huh! That Bendtsen's adapter kit looks good. I've given up on Benz stuff for Cruisers, but I think it'd be pretty good in a pickup, and all sorts of fun in a smallish car.

But really, at this point, I'm just struggling to keep what I have running, never mind play with swaps. No money, no place to work... Got a new job now, so at least I'll be able to pay other people to work on my 42. :doh:

some youtube vids of OM 617 swaps
YouTube - Mercedes 0m617 Diesel Conversion in FJ40 - 4x4labs.com

YouTube - 1994 Toyota Landcruiser with Mercedes Benz Turbo diesel engine

YouTube - mercedes 3.0L 5cyl turbo diesel engine swapped into a 92 mazda b2600i 2wd. first start :D

I have a OM617 with 15k actual on it .. its on a pallet in my garage but I have lost interest I guess. Thinking of selling it if you know of anyone looking for a great motor. I still think it would be killer in a cruiser like 4x4 labs Fj40.

I have a OM617 with 15k actual on it .. its on a pallet in my garage but I have lost interest I guess. Thinking of selling it if you know of anyone looking for a great motor.

If you do decide to sell it you shouldn't have any problems doing so - just post it here and your price is realistic it should be gone in few days:

Parts - PeachParts Mercedes ShopForum

Let's revive this thread just because I am interested. I saw the video from 4x4 labs does anyone have any other info? I compared the Torque & HP numbers vs RPM I don't think it is a bad swap. Is anyone still working on this project?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom