Fuel starvation issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I also want to add that it could be your fuel plunger. When it is idling do you rev it as it is sitting there and does the fuel starvation act up again?
The fuel plunger (accelerator pump) is fine. It reves without stumbling. It drives without stumbling until the carb is starved for fuel.

Recall for 60, out of tanks for 62

Lookup Safety Recalls & Service Campaigns

Not another fj60 gas tank recall issue. Called Toyota corporate today.

A lot of folks take this, get the new tank, and put in an extended range tank, then sell the new spare, to pay for a swing away bumper for tire.

I have to agree that it may be a sticking float valve, or a plugged screen from the fuel intake. There is a little one inside the carb.

PS, they are out of some of the short fuel lines inside the tank, you have to get an OK that they can cut some to length. Don't let em tell you no, they have to try and buy the truck if they cant repair it. They price it by looking at the rust underneath !
The fuel level moves up and down freely and never goes above the mid-point on the float bowl window. Remember, this FJ has run very well and has been on some rough trails without any issues prior to this problem.

I am taking all advise seriously and I am very pleased and impressed with all of the help, thank you, everybody.

Before I pound out my manifesto, I've got one question:

Was the fuel pump replaced with a genuine Toyota pump? Or is it an aftermarket China crapolicus?

If Shanghai parts are bolted to your 2F, that's likely the elephant under the hood.
The new fuel pump is NOT a Toyota OEM. It is from O'Reiley's and most likely a made in China fuel pump.

Next stop on Monday is Toyota to check out a fuel pump and a gas tank.

Get a Kyosan pump. I’ve gone the aftermarket and paid for it. Blew the arm off on the cam lobe. Luckily no damage was done. I tried to go cheap and then bit my own a$$; always learning lessons w/ my truck. I ended up getting mine a few years back from Cruiser Outfit for about $85.

I think you get a new pump and sending unit w the new tank, so would'nt buy first.

You can get plugged stuff in the carb, even tho it was running fine before.

I would first try to drain the float bowl. those two bolts on the front of carb, are to get to the jets, but if you drain onto a white towel, and then blow it out w WD or carb cleaner, you can see if the rubber from the float is breaking down from ethylene gas.

Then Try the redneck carb rebuild , after warmed on idle, cover carb intake w your hand, or a stiff cloth (dont let it suck cloth in). You can also shoot some Seafoam in thru the vac pipe on the engine side of the carb, the one that goes to the diaphram on the distributor.

Monday update:

After I drained the carb bowls again, I tried the poor man's carb overhaul. It did not make any difference in overall fuel flow although you could see some rush of fuel in the site glass window when there was a high vacuum with a rag over the carb. It did run a bit smoother so there very well could have been a small piece of crud in the idle circuit.

Next, I went to Toyota to check on the status of the gas tank recall. It is not actually a recall, it is a Service Bulletin. Both a recall and a Service Bulleting result in the same thing........ a new gas tank at no charge! It includes vent hoses and some other tubing. No charge for parts or labor. The Toyota dealership here in St. George, UT asked only one question, "When would you like to get it done?"

It will take a week to get all the parts shipped in. I also ordered a new TOYOTA fuel pump. It was a few dollars more that Kyosan from Amazon but not enough to make advantageous to getting a real OEM fuel pump. Labor is only 0.6 hours so I will let them put it on too. My next update will be in about 10 days. Fingers crossed.

Do you get the filler neck replacement hose too? That is a PITA to replace on your own, and does rot, you should ask, and replace now if not.

You said you checked your lines, but do you have the viewplate under your carpet to get to the fuel sending unit? If so, you may want to look at the hard lines that go to top of tank, if lots of Utah mud up there, those ones can get nasty too....

Do you get the filler neck replacement hose too? That is a PITA to replace on your own, and does rot, you should ask, and replace now if not.

You said you checked your lines, but do you have the viewplate under your carpet to get to the fuel sending unit? If so, you may want to look at the hard lines that go to top of tank, if lots of Utah mud up there, those ones can get nasty too....

These are really good points to bring up, thank you. I will check them out. I will call Toyota in the morning and have them add the filler neck hose. As far as the mud goes, I bought the FJ60 in Las Vegas and the undercarriage looks like it never left the street. There is no mub stuck in any crevis anywhere that I can find.

Toyota verified that there was an open service bulletin on the gasoline tank. Parts were ordered and then a week later the dealership called me and said the parts are no longer available. They gave me a Toyota Corporate phone number to call but I was on hold and transferred a couple of times and gave up. I did order a factory "Toyota" fuel pump, but it will not arrive for a couple weeks.

A new thought popped in my head about the spacer on the fuel pump; if that spacer is too thick for the non-factory fuel pump, that would decrease the stroke and lower the fuel delivery rate. I wonder if the issue with the Made in China fuel pumps is a design issue. It will be interesting to measure this aftermarket pump compared to an OEM pump.

The tank is still available, for the 60s, you just have to beg to have them be able to cut to length the fuel lines. That is why you need corp OK.

This is a buyback issue, if they can't fix, they have to try and buy, and they do the offer from the amount of rust underneath, so you would get a 10k offer prob.

Not another fj60 gas tank recall issue. Called Toyota corporate today.

My phone call to Toyota Corporate went well so far. Well, they did not say NO, but they did confirm that my two service campaigns are still open and that there is not a time limitation on them. They will call me back on a couple days to let me know if they have located the parts or what their plan is. Time will tell and I will keep this thread updated on what Toyota Corporate's most current status is.

Again, thanks for all the great advice!!!

Fuel starvation issue solved. After going through the entire fuel system (new free gas tank from Toyota), replacing an aftermarket fuel pump with an OEM fuel pump and early on, over half a dozen inline fuel filters the fuel starvation issue was the small screen that is on top of the needle seat (see photo). Unlike most carburetors that have a final fuel screen that is accessible from the fuel line, the OEM carburetor must have the top removed to get at the needle and seat. With care, this can be accomplished without taking the carb off. I did purchase a Carb rebuild kit so that I would have gaskets, should one tear. In my case, the carb top came off easy and it was a simple fix. NOTE: There were a very small plunger and spring INSIDE of the needle. I laid a clean white cloth on top of the carb body and work area to catch any small parts that may try to escape. NOTE: I applied a small amount of grease to the plunger, spring and, seat as a method to retain the parts in place while the float was being reattached. Once the cleaned screen was back in place, the test drive revealed that the fuel starvation issue was fixed.

Had I known there was a screen there, that would have been the second place that I looked after replacing the inline fuel filter. The silver lining to not knowing was I found out about the fuel tank recall and now my entire fuel delivery system is up to new OEM specifications. I have put a few hundred miles on my FJ60 since I have cleaned the screen without any incidents. With my confidence in Blu MaXX back, I will take him off road this weekend and go play.

I want to thank everybody that chimed in on the thread with excellent guidance. I am much more familliar with my FJ60 because of your help.

FJ60 Fuel Screen.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom