Fuel pump went out again (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I replaced the fuel pump 2 months ago, and now it went out again, well actually it starts sometimes and does not start sometimes. I need to replace it again but since there is only one type of pump I really don't want to this job for the 3rd time. I have been looking at some external pumps they are way more expensive but at least I wont be dropping the tank again.

This is what I bought the first time

Has any one ran anything else?

If I decide to run and external pump do I have to remove the one form the tank?
And im planning on installing it in the engine bay next to the fuel filter, would that be a good spot?

Well the first question would be is if there is something causing the fuel pumps to go bad. Is there a little bit of rust in your tanks or in your line? The fuel lubricates the bearings in the pump as it passes through the pump and it only takes a little piece of rust or sediment from your tank and lines to clog the fuel pump and dry out the bearings.

Next time get a Denso from Rockauto.

Also make sure your EFI and COR are good. Then make sure you don't have a bunch of voltage loss in the wires. Clean ground etc.

To answer you question, no putting the pump that far away from tank is bad idea. Not only does pump use fuel to lube, it also uses it to cool the pump.

Not to mention that electric fuel pumps are usually good at pushing fuel, but not so great at sucking fuel. Inline electric pumps want to be close to the tank and as low as you reasonably can mount them.

Thanks for the response guy's. I did have a battery issue on sat and also did not do a good job cleaning the tank out when I replaced the first pump. The previous owner had twisted and paper taped the wires together for the tank, which I soldered together. Also noticed he has a wire going back into the cabin and connected to the fuse box which is completely weird cause the pump connection should run through the fuse bank by default. Did not remove that wire cause the first pump ran for years with out a problem and crappy wire connections.

What year is your truck and what engine does it have?

I agree with the others here that you should try your best to see what is causing the pumps to fail.

Rust and other tank debris would probably be the biggest contributor, followed by electrical issues.

You could also just have some low quality fuel pumps too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom